The Student Room Group

Sixth form advice - for clothing and organisation

Hi. (That sounded pretty blunt.)

So, I'm finishing up year 11 in just 10 weeks now - these last weeks are leading up to my exams and any re-sits laying about. The high school I go to has a joint sixth form and I'm more than likely to be going there despite many attempts from my friends persuading me to go to this college, or that one, blah blah blah. I'm generally a well behaved student though I tend to get in trouble for really ridiculous things and I focus on my subjects as best as I can, although I genuinely despise half of the ones I do (perhaps this is because of the teachers). It's occurred to me though - like the bells have finally rang - that I'll not be in uniform for the next 2 years, and even in further education.

This is where it gets complicated. :confused:

This past [school] year I have to admit I just haven't been out shopping a lot since I've been dying bit by bit because of what I feel is way too much studying. Like I've literally been laying around in several pairs of pyjamas and half-decent clothing since I haven't had a lot of time to go out. I mean I do have... nice/alright clothes, but I'm not necessarily looking to impress anybody. Like all the non-uniform days, I accidentally stand out without meaning to. But please, don't assume I'm running around wearing neon on neon. I'm not. Just odd t-shirts here and there.

Is there like some sort of outfit, I guess, that everyone usually wears? The sixth formers in my school prance around (they don't really :redface:) in mostly hoodies and jeans - I was thinking that.

Basically, Jesus Christ, sorry for taking so long to get to the point: what do you wear usually?

ALSO: organisation.

I'm the worst at keeping organised. I mean I'm alright to begin with but then everything just gets lost somewhere. Some background: I focus most on English and Drama (sometimes Art) but those two subjects require a lot of planning and writing. I'm continuing those subjects in sixth form but since this year I've been thinking it's hell, I have no clue what it'll be like in A-levels. Do you guys have any specific organisation "skills"?

I kind of need this advice because I'm already going crazy. I just want to do good and make my no-nonsense parents proud since both my brother and sister dropped out of education (they had the chance, though, didn't they?) - I don't.

Thanks in advance if you reply!

Sincerely, a stressed girl :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Clothing: Honestly, wear whatever you like, people don't tend to care. Most people at my college just wear jeans and tops (including me), you don't have to dress up at all. It's probably a good idea to sort your clothes out the night before to save time in the morning.

Organisation: Get a smaller ring binder and a lever arch file for each subject, leave the lever arch files at home and sort out the stuff in your ring binder into your lever arch file every half term so that they don't get too full up. I'm not too sure about creative subjects because I don't do any but I guess you get a sketchbook or something? Idk.
Try and read over whatever you've written down in lessons every now and again to make sure you understand it, then ask if there's something you're unsure about, to make things easier when it comes to proper revision at Easter. If you can be bothered, start writing revision notes as you go over the topics in lessons to save time in April/May, but don't worry too much if you cba.
Make sure you have any specific materials you need for certain subjects, e.g. a scientific calculator for maths, art stuff for art, etc.
Obviously make sure you have a good supply of pens.

That's about all I can think of atm, try not to get stressed too much, it's not that bad.
Reply 2
Hi, I'm also in year 11 and dying of work-overload! I'm also probably going to the school sixth form whilst lots of friends go to college, nice to find someone else in a similar situation!

Most people at my sixth form just wear whatever they like, although I know this isn't very helpful...

I have a bit of a thing about organisation and I saw these really cool folder type things you can get in staples that I want, although they're expensive so ring-binders are probably a better option. Here's the link in case though - http://www.staples.co.uk/ARC_Home_subsite

Don't know if this helps at all..? :P

Quick Reply

Latest