pmounsey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi!
I've just been accepted to do a conversion course to make my degree BPS accredited (starting in September). I am then going to hopefully do a Msc in Forensic Psychology. I've been looking on the BPS website on how to become an accredited Forensic Psychologist but I've just confused myself haha. Does anyone know (in simple terms) what I need to do during/after my masters course to be able to apply for a trainee or fully qualified forensic psychologist position? And what the bands mean on job applications (e.g. Band 7).

Its probably really simple but I've read so many forums and posts on it that I've just completely muddled up and confused everything!

Thank =)
Lord Asriel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The general route to becoming a forensic psychologist is to complete an undergrad degree that gives you BPS accreditation, then doing a two part postgraduate training pathway.

The first is to do a Stage 1 qualification (usually the MSc in Forensic Psychology, you have to pay for yourself); a qualification that gives you an academic basis for the work that a Forensic Psychologist would do. This comprises of lectures, seminars and writing a dissertation in a forensic area.

Then comes the Stage 2 part of training, that involves spending a certain amount of time working in a forensic setting under the guidance of a supervisor who is themselves a chartered Forensic Psychologist (almost like an apprenticeship). There are a few Trainee Forensic Psychologist posts that allow you to do this, and you would be paid a salary to do this. This is supposed to be for 2 years, but it can extend because you have to meet a number of criteria in order and you may not have done this strictly within 2 years.

There are also one or two courses (Doctorate of Forensic Psychology) like this one that combine Stage 1 and 2, but you would generally have to pay for these yourself. On the plus side the time frame is generally more consistent to 3 years full time/6 years part time.
Lord Asriel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And what the bands mean on job applications (e.g. Band 7).
A Band 7 job refers to the NHS Agenda for Change wage band for an entry level/ newly qualified psychologist. It is usually used by clinical, health, counselling and forensic psychologists working in the NHS to denote role description.

A Band 7 salary is currently between £30,764 and £40,558, and would be a role where the bulk of the work is doing clinical duties (assessments, therapies, providing team input). To contrast a Band 8a/8b post (£39,239-56504) will mix clinical duties with supervisory responsibility of other psychologists and some service based leadership. Consultant Posts (Band 8c/d £54k-£81k) are usually leadership roles that have a large managerial and organisational component to them, with a small amount of clinical work. Band 9 roles are usually reserved for heads of service or those who oversee the work of several teams (£77-98k). It's a pyramid structure, where there are more Band 7s (as more people are required to treat patients directly) and fewer posts as you go up the ladder.
pmounsey
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Lord Asriel, thank you so much! Thats really helpful, I understand it much better now. I think I'll definitely stick to the Msc course rather than the Doctorate, can only just afford the £6,000 haha. With the Bands, when I've been looking on job websites, some jobs advertised within Prisons also use the band system, is this the same thing as what the NHS use? I'm assuming so.

Again thank you so much for going into detail for me, it was really helpful =)
katealtham
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey! If anyone on this thread is interested in pursuing Stage 2 forensic Psychology, then please feel free to join this facebook group- https://www.facebook.com/groups/810714586060133/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (540)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (655)
41.14%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (324)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.59%

Watched Threads