The Student Room Group

Determining tension

How's it going guys.

So for this question, firstly I'm not sure what parts of the system are relevant, e.g. is the cyllinder at all relevant to the problem and can the tension in the string be found from considering the cross pieces alone, or vice versa. I just need help in forming a strategy for this question (which is worth 14 marks). I'm assuming that due to the weight of the cylinder and the position in which it is in, the cross pieces will be forced outwards by it and hence take the angle theta from each other. I believe this is an integral point however, I don't know how to figure this into an overall strategy to solving the problem and by it, how to set up equations of motion for the problem. Also, which co-ordinate system does the question call for: cartesian, or is it worth transformng it into cyllindrical coordinates?
(edited 10 years ago)
Does the fact it's a cylinder mean the tensions are equal?
Reply 2
Original post by Davelittle
Does the fact it's a cylinder mean the tensions are equal?

Isn't there just a single tension because there is only one string?
Reply 3
Original post by dawud
How's it going guys.

So for this question, firstly I'm not sure what parts of the system are relevant, e.g. is the cyllinder at all relevant to the problem and can the tension in the string be found from considering the cross pieces alone, or vice versa. I just need help in forming a strategy for this question (which is worth 14 marks). I'm assuming that due to the weight of the cylinder and the position in which it is in, the cross pieces will be forced outwards by it and hence take the angle theta from each other. I believe this is an integral point however, I don't know how to figure this into an overall strategy to solving the problem and by it, how to set up equations of motion for the problem. Also, which co-ordinate system does the question call for: cartesian, or is it worth transformng it into cyllindrical coordinates?

You'll need to use the cylinder to find the forces it applies to the cross section in order to determine the moment acting on cross sections, then the string applies a force (tension) to produce an equal moment ensuring equilibrium I think. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Stanno
You'll need to use the cylinder to find the forces it applies to the cross section in order to determine the moment acting on cross sections, then the string applies a force (tension) to produce an equal moment ensuring equilibrium I think. :smile:

Thanks for the reply. I'm struggling to start off realising this strategy though. So first I'm trying to work out the free body diagrams for this system. Is it as I've attached? How do I draw the tension vector? And then I'm having a hard time defining and decomposing the force vectors into the coordinate system in terms of theta, mg etc. Here's my diagrams. I have a feeling N=mgsin(theta/2)
Reply 5
Original post by dawud
Thanks for the reply. I'm struggling to start off realising this strategy though. So first I'm trying to work out the free body diagrams for this system. Is it as I've attached? How do I draw the tension vector? And then I'm having a hard time defining and decomposing the force vectors into the coordinate system in terms of theta, mg etc. Here's my diagrams. I have a feeling N=mgsin(theta/2)

No problem.

Start by taking solely the forces acting on the cylinder, so the two normal reactions and the weight. Resolve in the y direction to find the y-component of the normal reactions, then the magnitude can be found via theta.

Regarding your equation, it might help to realise that N is the hypotenuse.

Then it's just a question of an equation for balance of moments using the lengths given (which will require a little bit of calculation for the the normal reactions, but shouldn't be too hard).

Hope that helps. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest