The Student Room Group

Study film in the US?

It has always been my dream to study film in the US. But, although there're tons of film school there, I don't have a clue where to go. At first, I thought of goin to the New York Film Acadamy, but I heard many crap about that. I thought I should focus on LA, for being the film capital of the world and stuff. I read about two very prestigious university's: UCLA and USC. But it will be nearly impossible to get in there, and they'll be staggeringly expensive. So, what can you guys advice me?
Reply 1
I would look at schools in The Chicago area, some schools like Loyola, and DePaul and UofChicago. These schools are in the heart of downtown Chicago and get amazing exposure because of the heavy art based community. Hope that helped!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by AllyxlynnUS
I would look at schools in The Chicago area, some schools like Loyola, and DePaul and UofChicago. These schools are in the heart of downtown Chicago and get amazing exposure because of the heavy art based community. Hope that helped!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I will look it up
Hi!
I just got into USC (I'm flying over next weekend to look at it with my parents) and they have a great reputation for their film school, but it also means it's very hard to get into (I applied for science but I've heard it's hard because it's an excellent film school). If you are worried about the cost there are a few merit based scholarships that international students can apply for (but not financial aid, sorry!). My friend received a full-tuition scholarship to USC this year, but his grades were impeccable (12A*s at GCSE... I didn't even take 12 GCSEs; and 4 As at AS, with an average UMS of >90). I did way worse then him but I didn't apply for a scholarship.
My advice would be to do really well on either your SAT/ACT or your English public exams (or both if you can!). I don't know if you have already done your GCSEs but if not study really hard for them (it will pay off! also USC will want to see your GCSE results). Also know that your grades are definitely only part of the picture in America, this year 48,000 people applied to USC so they can choose from a huge range who they want, schools in America are so much more concerned about personality and if you will fit in their university and how you will contribute to the university than anything else (unless I guess you have really bad grades) - try and stand out!
Good luck!!
Reply 4
Original post by lizpol_hi
Hi!
I just got into USC (I'm lying over next weekend to look at it with my parents) and they have a great reputation for their film school, but it also means it's very hard to get into (I applied for science but I've heard it's hard because it's an excellent film school). If you are worried about the cost there are a few merit based scholarships that international students can apply for (but not financial aid, sorry!). My friend received a full-tuition scholarship to USC this year, but his grades were impeccable (12A*s at GCSE... I didn't even take 12 GCSEs; and 4 As at AS, with an average UMS of >90). I did way worse then him but I didn't apply for a scholarship.
My advice would be to do really well on either your SAT/ACT or your English public exams (or both if you can!). I don't know if you have already done your GCSEs but if not study really hard for them (it will pay off! also USC will want to see your GCSE results). Also know that your grades are definitely only part of the picture in America, this year 48,000 people applied to USC so they can choose from a huge range who they want, schools in America are so much more concerned about personality and if you will fit in their university and how you will contribute to the university than anything else (unless I guess you have really bad grades) - try and stand out!
Good luck!!

Thank you for your answer! I usually get high grades, so I guess I will keep doing the best I can on school, and maybe there s a little chance I might get a scholarship or something
Reply 5
UCLA and especially USC are great for film, and yeah, it definitely helps to be in LA. NYU has a great reputation as well. All three are quite expensive, however, and only USC is good with merit and financial aid.

You may want to check out Chapman, which has a very good, up and coming film program. The same goes for Emerson (Boston) and LMU (LA). Wesleyan (in Connecticut) has produced a surprisingly large number of people in film, so check it out as well. In upstate New York, there's Syracuse and Ithaca.

The Chicago area, while great for theatre and comedy, is not a film hotspot, but I agree with AllyxlynnUS that it might be worth a look anyway. Northwestern and to a lesser extent DePaul would be decent options.

Honestly, though, I've known a lot of people in the film/TV industry in LA coming from all sorts of places and backgrounds. You definitely don't have to attend one of the major film schools to get a decent job, at least from what I've seen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Devil09 suggests some great schools. Wesleyan is one of the best places to do film as an undergrad, they have an incredible department and really heavy hitting faculty. I'd add Iowa, UNC, and UT Austin to the list; and, if you're after a film practice, rather than theory, degree, Cal Arts.

Quick Reply

Latest