The Student Room Group

Sharing a bed with someone

I've often thought that it wouldn't be very comfortable to share a bed with me on a permanent basis; I roll around a lot and the quilt ends up in completely random positions. I hadn't considered that some couples might sleep in separate beds until I read this article; it's just normal to share a bed and wasn't something I'd questioned. Now I'm thinking that separate beds would probably be a preferable alternative for me.

What about you? Do you share a bed with someone now and does that cause you any discomfort? Do you think separate beds equates to a poor relationship?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by xDave-
I've often thought that it wouldn't be very comfortable to share a bed with me on a permanent basis; I roll around a lot and the quilt ends up in completely random positions. I hadn't considered that some couples might sleep in separate beds until I read this article; it's just normal to share a bed and wasn't something I'd questioned. Now I'm thinking that separate beds would probably be a preferable alternative for me.

What about you? Do you share a bed with someone now and does that cause you any discomfort? Do you think separate beds equates to a poor relationship?

Just get a massive bed where you can roll about like 2 times before getting onto your partner.
Reply 2
Original post by kumon
Just get a massive bed where you can roll about like 2 times before getting onto your partner.

Then you would need a massive room :tongue:

That wouldn't solve many problems though. If you want to read then there'd be light, if you get up in the night then you'd make noise. If one of you wakes up earlier then you'd make noise getting changed and such. A big bed wouldn't solve that!
My parents have separate beds in separate rooms :smile:

Personally, I have no idea. I'm small so I wouldn't take up much space :dontknow:
Reply 4
Original post by xDave-
Then you would need a massive room :tongue:

That wouldn't solve many problems though. If you want to read then there'd be light, if you get up in the night then you'd make noise. If one of you wakes up earlier then you'd make noise getting changed and such. A big bed wouldn't solve that!

Then just get 2 double sized beds? And go onto one when you want to have fun :colone:
Reply 5
Original post by Maid Marian

What? why? :unsure:
Original post by Leftee
What? why? :unsure:

They prefer it :dontknow: Means they can sleep better :smile:
Reply 7
They prefer it :dontknow: Means they can sleep better :smile:

To each their own i guess, just seems a little sad. :dong:
Reply 8

Personally, I have no idea. I'm small so I wouldn't take up much space :dontknow:

My parents are the same, since my dad has to get up in the middle of the night for work a lot of the time. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I wouldn't mind having two separate beds - I sometimes sleep walk which I imagine might scare my partner if they're not used to it. :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Angury
My parents are the same, since my dad has to get up in the middle of the night for work a lot of the time. I don't see anything wrong with it.

I wouldn't mind having two separate beds - I sometimes sleep walk which I imagine might scare my partner if they're not used to it. :tongue:

Why is it wrong to wake someone up when they sleep walk? What if you hug them instead? :tongue:
I think couples need to decide what's more important: intimacy or a good night's sleep.

I associate separate beds with middle-aged couples and the whole thing seems depressing. Even though I'm sure it makes good rational sense. I'm sticking with a double bed.

Also, my days of having sex on a single-bed are emphatically behind me. I'm not voluntarily returning to that.
My parents sleep in two different rooms. Basically because my mum is an insomniac and my dad snores so badly aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Lotus_Eater
I think couples need to decide what's more important: intimacy or a good night's sleep.

I associate separate beds with middle-aged couples and the whole thing seems depressing. Even though I'm sure it makes good rational sense. I'm sticking with a double bed.

Also, my days of having sex on a single-bed are emphatically behind me. I'm not voluntarily returning to that.

It's not hard to just walk to their room though. You could sleep together in either person's bed if you wanted to, but you'd also have the option of going to your own room. I don't think you'd really lose any intimacy. The only time that might happen is if one wants to share one night and the other doesn't, but that'd be problematic if you had to share a bed anyway.

You could both have double beds if you have the space, I suppose. But so long as one person had a double bed, then that wouldn't be an issue either. Unless you argue over who gets the double bed.
Reply 13
My parents have gone one step further and have separate beds in separate houses.
Original post by xDave-
It's not hard to just walk to their room though. You could sleep together in either person's bed if you wanted to, but you'd also have the option of going to your own room. I don't think you'd really lose any intimacy. The only time that might happen is if one wants to share one night and the other doesn't, but that'd be problematic if you had to share a bed anyway.

You could both have double beds if you have the space, I suppose. But so long as one person had a double bed, then that wouldn't be an issue either. Unless you argue over who gets the double bed.

You're perfectly correct, you could just have two double beds. It still seems a pity to me. This is sentimentality talking here, but I like waking up in the night and feeling my girlfriend next to me. I also like her waking me up in the night... if you know what I mean [God, I sound like prat], and I think that spontaneous intimacy would be lost if we didn't share a bed. It wouldn't necessarily have to be, I just suspect in time it would.

Ultimately all couples are different and if a couple decided it was good for them to sleep in separate beds then they should do just that.
Conventional wisdom yet again. People do it because 'it's weird not to' and it'll suggest to others that you are having 'issues' in your relationship, or don't have sex.

Do what you feel like doing. You can also have two identical single beds, separated by a bedside table. And you can move the bedside table whenever you feel like it, to make a 'double' bed.

So many people don't get enough/good quality sleep. And it affects us in ways we don't even know (physically, or our mood). It may well indirectly impact on your relationship.
Even sleep in separate rooms, if you want to. But it'll take a lot of convincing for your other half, due to conventional wisdom, if nothing else.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
sharing a bed is the worst part about relationships.
Been there, done that

Never happening again.
Reply 17
Original post by N4rcissist
My parents have gone one step further and have separate beds in separate houses.

Which one do you live in normally then :tongue:
Original post by kumon
Why is it wrong to wake someone up when they sleep walk? What if you hug them instead? :tongue:

you can shock someone if you wake them up while sleep walking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I share a bed with my husband. we sleep better that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending