We want a say!

Watch
DouglasAdams
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Public opinion seems to be undermined in this country. For example, many people prefer to vote Conservative for their economic policies compared with Labour, but get no say in how the country is run. A severe majority of the public do not want to get involved in Ukraine-Russia conflict, yet because the government we voted for said we must, we must.
Should we have more of a say in how the country is run?
And how could that be achieved without undermining the government's authority?!
Silver Arrows
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When did we say we were getting involved in the Ukraine Crisis?
Jjj90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is there a reason that referendum's can't be more of a norm?
StacyJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
By voting correctly.
DouglasAdams
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jjj90)
I think it a good idea but then how do we discrimminate between what does need a referendum and what doesn't?
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DouglasAdams)
Public opinion seems to be undermined in this country. For example, many people prefer to vote Conservative for their economic policies compared with Labour, but get no say in how the country is run. A severe majority of the public do not want to get involved in Ukraine-Russia conflict, yet because the government we voted for said we must, we must.
Firstly, we're not getting involved in the Ukraine-Russia conflict and the government as explicitly stated that they are not going to impose any economic or military sanctions.

Secondly, if people really cared about their opinion being undermined, they wouldn't vote for the parties that allow their opinions to be undermined. Nobody is forcing you to vote conservative and people vote for them knowing full well that they won't be able to control what they do.
zKlown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A few things

We don't vote for a Government to then ask us what to do, we vote for a Government based on their so called "policies" and trust them to make the decisions.

And in this case, the Government you, me or anyone in this thread voted for, is not in power. It's a coalition, no-one voted for that.

Yes we should get more of a say, but that would take away a lot of the Government's power, and these people like power.

Oh, and I don't vote, I realised that voting doesn't mean **** really, nothing changes.

(Original post by DouglasAdams)
dasolja123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
guys...i kno this may sound really stupid-but what is the russian-ukraine crisis thing???
andrew2209
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jjj90)
They probably cost a lot of money to run, and the government loses some of their power.

(Original post by zKlown)
A few things
And in this case, the Government you, me or anyone in this thread voted for, is not in power. It's a coalition, no-one voted for that.
So what happens if there is a hung parliament in your opinion? We keep holding elections until a party has a majority?
zKlown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by andrew2209)
They probably cost a lot of money to run, and the government loses some of their power.

So what happens if there is a hung parliament in your opinion? We keep holding elections until a party has a majority?
I don't know the answer to that. If there is a hung parliament, a temporary coalition should be formed with a re-election the following year maybe, I don't know.

But I do know, that having a Government that no-one voted for sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me.

And in reference to your other point, that's exactly the problem, instead of giving the public a voice and allowing them some input, the Government and power circles are too worried about losing their power
andrew2209
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by zKlown)
I don't know the answer to that. If there is a hung parliament, a temporary coalition should be formed with a re-election the following year maybe, I don't know.

But I do know, that having a Government that no-one voted for sounds an awful lot like a dictatorship to me.

And in reference to your other point, that's exactly the problem, instead of giving the public a voice and allowing them some input, the Government and power circles are too worried about losing their power
The thing with saying a hung parliament is a parliament that nobody voted for, is that in the UK, we aren't voting for a government, we are voting for the MP to represent our constituency.
Mockery
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dasolja123)
guys...i kno this may sound really stupid-but what is the russian-ukraine crisis thing???
- Pro-EU Ukranians overthrew the democratically elected, but corrupt, Pro-Russian President of Ukraine, Yanukovych.

- Russia feared the loss of influence that they have over the country and the military installations they have in Crimea therefore they moved in troops to this southern most area of the country to protect it's assets and Ethnic Russians in Ukraine.

- Pro-EU protests and Russian involvement has sparked ethnic Russians to take a Pro-Russian stance as they no longer think that the new interim government has their wellbeing in high regard.

- A rift between the population is growing which the west condemn as 'the sovereign integrity of Ukraine is of utmost importance' but really they just want to see Russia's grip on the ex-soviet country loosen.

- The west has given lots of rhetoric about political and economic sanctions on Russia but in reality Europe won't do much in fear of repercussion.
zKlown
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The thing with saying a hung parliament is a parliament that nobody voted for, is that in the UK, we aren't voting for a government, we are voting for the MP to represent our constituency.
Technically speaking yeah we are. But lets be serious here, in 2014 (or even the 21st century) I doubt most people can even name their local MP.

The sad matter of affairs are, people vote for the leader of the party or people who semi-politcally minded will vote for the party with the policies which resonate with them.

I'm not having a go or anything here btw lol. I ain't massively into politics because I personally think it's a flawed system. Those are just my beliefs.
dasolja123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mockery)
- Pro-EU Ukranians overthrew the democratically elected, but corrupt, Pro-Russian President of Ukraine, Yanukovych.

- Russia feared the loss of influence that they have over the country and the military installations they have in Crimea therefore they moved in troops to this southern most area of the country to protect it's assets and Ethnic Russians in Ukraine.

- Pro-EU protests and Russian involvement has sparked ethnic Russians to take a Pro-Russian stance as they no longer think that the new interim government has their wellbeing in high regard.

- A rift between the population is growing which the west condemn as 'the sovereign integrity of Ukraine is of utmost importance' but really they just want to see Russia's grip on the ex-soviet country loosen.

- The west has given lots of rhetoric about political and economic sanctions on Russia but in reality Europe won't do much in fear of repercussion.

you know-one of the reasons i stopped watching sky news was because they spoke too posh....
DouglasAdams
Rep:
?
Local parliament has long diminished in Britain since the 1867 political acts. Since, voting has been greater on the subject of national, rather than local, issues. Rarely do we care more about the decisions the MP will make for our constituency (relatively little) than the hope to influence the country's politics on a far larger scale by voting for our favoured party.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed