The Student Room Group

Ema

I know this has been discussed time and time again, but I thought I'd make a thread for the people going to 6th form or college. I think I am probably only getting £10, and my mate is getting £30. To cut a long story short, he is only getting this because his mum lives off benefits and is a one parent family - just him and his mum, they have no debts because there is none for them to get into, whereas I come from a family where my mum and dad both work, our debts are nearly paid off and despite this, I think it's pretty stupid that a lad with a mum who has no debts or other problems can get the full amount. Just because your family earns above a specified amount does not mean that the child get's what he wants or that the family is ''well off'' which is what it implies really.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I agree. My friend got the full EMA and so could afford to learn to drive. I'm not getting any money from my parents to learn to drive and so I'm worse off. I had a part time job but the hours were varied and I only worked once a week for a few hours at a time (so not enough!). The systems flawed but there isn't really any other way around it. And it only continues on into uni...
Reply 2
Is there anyone that can help you to learn the basics of driving? And therefore you can then have driving lessons but not a huge, huge amount. I am hoping to get a job, but only weekend work. I'd rather work for my money rather than it just being handed to me on a plate, even though I wouldn't say no to £30 a week. :p:
Well I'm on a gap year now so I'll probably be having lessons paid out of money I earnt! :biggrin:

PS. You also get great bonuses as well as the EMA over the two year course so thats always good!
I have to buy my own clothes out of own wages, but am not eligible for EMA. And I haven't had a job since May, so have no money left. Don't even get pocket money, although my little brother does.

And the crappy thing is, even if my parents earned less so I technically could obtain it, I wouldn't be able to get it until U6, since my birthday is after August 31st :p:. They gave out the leaflets and envelopes with information in out to everyone, but most people at my school are... very posh, let's just say, and their parents probably earn 4 times the maximum to collect EMA. So most the envelopes just went in the bin... :p:

Ah well... I'll just get a new job when I'm back at school.
The system certainly has its problems, like students living with one poor parent and qualifying while getting lots of money from their other rich parent, or not taking into account the amount of children in the family, but overall I'd say it does more good than harm. And I'm not just saying that because I got £20 a week and £500 in bonuses :p:
kellywood_5
And I'm not just saying that because I got £20 a week and £500 in bonuses :p:

no, course not!! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Argh i'm p*ssed off with ema. Our income is basically zero as my dad doesn't work so i should get £30 a week but because i live on the Isle of Man I can't get ema. I was so looking forward to having £30 a week as i've never had so much money in my life but now i found out I won't be getting it. It sucks...:frown:
edit
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah, I don't get that much pocket money (only £7.50 a month) so I don't benefit from my parents supposed wealth. My parents are split up but because my Dad's partner works we've got a higher income although even with if only one worked I still wouldn't qualify....
Reply 10
lol the EMA system is messed up and i can justifiably say this becuase i get £30 lol. basically my mom went part time when my naan was sick and then when my nan died she went abck full time, shes a senior uni lecturer so so altho goin back full time a tthe start of the academic yr she went back in the middle of the tax yr. Inland revenue just got confused and sent her her TCAN or whatever its called with her pay at 2days for the full yr lol, she told them and they resent wrong so i claimed EMA off it, coz on full pay i am so out the boundary its untrue lol (btw i live with jsut my mom, no contact with dad before people start thinking i'm gettin moeny form them sides, not at all he ran off jsut b4 i was born, leavin my mom in all sorts of problems so we are nowhere near living it large at all eveon on her salary)

anyway so i got £30 for acad yr 05/06, well this yr comes round i full know i'm gettin nothin coz my mom has been full time all yr. but the stupid inland revenue got it wrong again this time my went down the office with her P60 from work and all her payslip to prove she was not gettin the £19,000 or whatever they said, and even then they resent it and still got it wrong altho it was a slgihtly higher salry lol my mom went back same palova and they resent it with same salary of four days a week which i think came to just under 30,500 which is jsut is this yrs boundary for £10, so i ge £10 nex yr, lol and it means i ge the "coming back to school £100 bonus" in september which i wouldnt have got had i no cliamed EMA for my second yr of sixth form. so the EMA system is well and truly messed up.

I know i should feel ethically bad but i have saved up loads and gave my january and july bonuses to charity to ease the conscience lol.
mtbab
and gave my january and july bonuses to charity to ease the conscience lol.

Awww, that's really nice of you :smile:
Reply 12
kellywood_5
Awww, that's really nice of you :smile:

I agree. That's well sweet. There's not many people i know who would do that. Awww :smile:
Reply 13
arr cheers well i figure someoone needs it a lot more than me and the gov are stupid enough to be giving it away lol
Reply 14
I think the EMA weekly amount is reasonable, though obviously a long way from being perfect. As with any system, it can be exploited intentionally, as well as not being totally just anyway. Given that we have to pay a lot for transport in sixth form (and I live in a TLVC - Tinpot Little Village Community - in the middle of nowhere), as well as for field trips, stationery and so forth, the EMA money can be put to very good use.

I'm frustrated by the bonuses though - it's a great idea and a good incentive, but it should apply to everyone (if there were the money available!), as it's not like very many people who don't get the EMA get money from their parents for good attendance, coming back for A2s or so forth.

And mtbab, that's really lovely of you to give away your bonuses! You shouldn't feel bad - you did try very hard to explain your situation.
Haha, EMA
Someone in my class at college has 2 horses, went to private school, her brother goes to private school and she got EMA, the full amount.
For her 18th she got given a brand new car...WTF?
The EMA system was screwed from the start IMO :p: My friend received £30 a week, had a job, could afford to go on holiday twice to america in the 2years we were at college and had her parentsd buy her everything. She's in a similar position regarding uni grants etc. I on the other hand, receive no help. My parents earn slightly more than £30k, but6 couldn't afford to buy me everything I needed for college. And the bonuses for completing work and turning up to all her exams...:angry:
I won't get EMA because they only look at the 2005 tax year, and my dad was still working then (he's too ill at the moment, but won't claim disability). I could seriously do with the £30 a week - my mum can earn enough to pay the bills, but they've been using their savings to buy food (though the males in the house are exceptionally greedy). And they need to find a few grand from somewhere to pay for my brother's uni fees. So I won't have any money to buy clothes or books…or music or violin strings or transport or driving lessons, because my job ends in autumn. Thanks a lot for the help DFES!
Major
I won't get EMA because they only look at the 2005 tax year, and my dad was still working then (he's too ill at the moment, but won't claim disability). I could seriously do with the £30 a week - my mum can earn enough to pay the bills, but they've been using their savings to buy food (though the males in the house are exceptionally greedy). And they need to find a few grand from somewhere to pay for my brother's uni fees. So I won't have any money to buy clothes or books…or music or violin strings or transport or driving lessons, because my job ends in autumn. Thanks a lot for the help DFES!

Yeah - DfES should be helping you out when your dad falls ill, that's right. :rolleyes: Why the hell is it DfES's job to pay for your dad's inability to work? They're the education department. They don't do "aww, that guy's ill, we'll give his daughter some money", because they're not people, they're a computer or two, with people as slaves typing the numbers in. You don't honestly think that people check this through, do you? They enter the form details into a computer (maybe by scanning, maybe not), the computer decides if some people aren't eligible, chucks them away, and send out an automated letter to everyone else. Computers don't do sympathy. That's where claiming disability comes into it.

God, why must we discuss this over and over and over and over and over and over? The people who need EMA get it. The people who don't get it don't need it. There's a grey area in the middle where some people who don't need it get it, but so what, lucky for them I guess. I've never heard of anyone who desperately needs the money not getting it.

(And yes, I get full EMA. And I put it towards the food bill in our household. Because, minus benefits, our income is currently £0, and even before my dad moved out, it was £1500 p.a. Someone tell me they should get this money rather than me, come on.)
Reply 19
they should consider people living in london in a differnt way to the rest of the country
it is a lot more expensive to live in london therefore the ema should account for this
my family earns jsut over the amount meaning i would qualify yet in comparison to ppl in other parts of the country earning less we are probably worse off becuase london is so much more expensive to live in
so i get zilch
not fair!!!!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending