Can't understand factorising by taking out common factors

Watch
Crob11258
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I can do the easier ones (e.g 3x-6) it's when I see questions such as (2t+s)(2t-s)+(2t-s) I just don't know how to do them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Crob11258)
I can do the easier ones (e.g 3x-6) it's when I see questions such as (2t+s)(2t-s)+(2t-s) I just don't know how to do them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do you find hard about the latter example?
Bloxorus
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
The latter example is exactly the same as the first. Ask yourself what factors occupy both parts of the function and then take them out.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
when I see questions such as (2t+s)(2t-s)+(2t-s) I just don't know how to do them!
Just look at both terms and see what they have in common. In this case they both have a factor of (2t-s).

(2t+s)(2t-s)+(2t-s)=(2t-s)(2t+s+1)
sarahwaymouth
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
[QUOTE=Crob11258;46680103]I can do the easier ones (e.g 3x-6) it's when I see questions such as (2t+s)(2t-s)+(2t-s) I just don't know how to do them!

I'm going to try explain it as simply as poss

With 3x-6, you split into 2 parts, "3x" and "-6" find a common factor (3) and factorise.

Do exactly the same with (2t+s)(2t-s)+(2t-s), split to get "(2t+s)(2t-s)" and "1 X (2t-s)", it is clear that (2t-s) is a factor you can take out of both, which leaves you with (2t+s) and 1, = 2t+s+1

ANSWER= Factor X what is left over
=(2t-s)(2t+s+1)
krisshP
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Maybe it helps if you view it like this.

Remember t and a are just unknowns, so 2t+s as well as 2t-s are just numbers. So it may be like this where 2t+s=5 and 2t-s=3

(2t+s)(2t-s)+(2t-s)
=(5)(3)+3
=3(5+1)
=(2t-s)[(2t+s)+1]

Then you could expand if you want to, but I hope that illustrates my point that you just treat (2t+s) and (2t-s) like ordinary numbers, as after all that's what they are, but with unknowns in them which seem to make it look harder.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (18)
8.29%
Okay (64)
29.49%
A bit lacking (81)
37.33%
Not good at all (54)
24.88%

Watched Threads