Any Current Bath Spa Students Who Might Help?

Watch
Othelo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey folks. I've gotten a conditional offer for commercial music from Bath Spa, and I'll meet the grades they want, but I've not been to the uni yet (I live in Belfast), so I really wanted to ask a few questions to current students.

What's the city like for weather around the year?
Is there a vibrant music scene?
What is there to do at the weekends?
Are there many mature students? (I'm 23)
How expensive is the accommodation, generally?
And what are the people in Bath like?

Any information would be good information guys
MoominMay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey I'm in my third year at Bath Spa, so I should be able to answer your questions!!!
1) The weather is typically British, it's been raining a lot recently in Bath and a lot of the roads are in a pretty awful way due to it! It is picking up a lot now though! Summer was lovely last year. We haven't had any snow this winter but I guess it has been a bit miserable! Nothing that bad though. You wont be unable to get around or anything like that.
2) I'm not to sure about the music scene . . . there are a fair few buskers in Bath and the university holds a few music related events. Clubs appeal to people with a variety of musical tastes.
3) There are loads of places to visit in Bath at the weekends. Night life is fairly decent, loads of places to eat, a decent library to visit, Jane Austen center, lots of parks to sit in with friends when the weather is nice, a good shopping center etc etc. There is a decent bus service to Bristol if you fancy getting out of Bath and into a bigger city (X39, 332, 338, 319).
4) There are quite a lot of mature students at Bath Spa. It will probably depend on the course but there are many people on my course who were 23 and above when they started at University.
5) I didn't live in student accommodation but my friends who did seemed to think it was pretty reasonable. You get your own room and you share a kitchen with roughly 8 other people I think. Bathrooms are shared. The university is currently in the process of building new halls so I can't really comment on what these are like as I haven't actually seen them as of yet. They may be more expensive than older accommodation. The accommodation of campus (Waterside and Charlton Court I think . . . ) are more expensive than on campus accommodation.
6) The people of Bath are lovely. Everyone at the Uni is friendly and helpful.

Hope this has helped a bit!! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Othelo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by MoominMay)
Hey I'm in my third year at Bath Spa, so I should be able to answer your questions!!!
1) The weather is typically British, it's been raining a lot recently in Bath and a lot of the roads are in a pretty awful way due to it! It is picking up a lot now though! Summer was lovely last year. We haven't had any snow this winter but I guess it has been a bit miserable! Nothing that bad though. You wont be unable to get around or anything like that.
2) I'm not to sure about the music scene . . . there are a fair few buskers in Bath and the university holds a few music related events. Clubs appeal to people with a variety of musical tastes.
3) There are loads of places to visit in Bath at the weekends. Night life is fairly decent, loads of places to eat, a decent library to visit, Jane Austen center, lots of parks to sit in with friends when the weather is nice, a good shopping center etc etc. There is a decent bus service to Bristol if you fancy getting out of Bath and into a bigger city (X39, 332, 338, 319).
4) There are quite a lot of mature students at Bath Spa. It will probably depend on the course but there are many people on my course who were 23 and above when they started at University.
5) I didn't live in student accommodation but my friends who did seemed to think it was pretty reasonable. You get your own room and you share a kitchen with roughly 8 other people I think. Bathrooms are shared. The university is currently in the process of building new halls so I can't really comment on what these are like as I haven't actually seen them as of yet. They may be more expensive than older accommodation. The accommodation of campus (Waterside and Charlton Court I think . . . ) are more expensive than on campus accommodation.
6) The people of Bath are lovely. Everyone at the Uni is friendly and helpful.

Hope this has helped a bit!! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Hey thanks a lot for the response. I decided to firm up Bath and I've chosen my accommodation, with an en-suite! Woohoo! lol

However, one of my choices was Manchester Met and had I gone there I would have been given a £4k non-repayable grant to supplement my loans, which is pretty freakin' awesome, but as far as I'm aware the Bath Spa bursary is only about £500 over the course of the 3 years, which is a bit pathetic.

So, if I can't find a job right away, money could quickly become an issue.

I guess I'm asking two questions here, the first is, what is Bath like for finding work? And the second is, what is the uni like for helping out students who are in financial difficulty?
MoominMay
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Othelo)
Hey thanks a lot for the response. I decided to firm up Bath and I've chosen my accommodation, with an en-suite! Woohoo! lol

However, one of my choices was Manchester Met and had I gone there I would have been given a £4k non-repayable grant to supplement my loans, which is pretty freakin' awesome, but as far as I'm aware the Bath Spa bursary is only about £500 over the course of the 3 years, which is a bit pathetic.

So, if I can't find a job right away, money could quickly become an issue.

I guess I'm asking two questions here, the first is, what is Bath like for finding work? And the second is, what is the uni like for helping out students who are in financial difficulty?
I commute from Bristol so I am not entirely sure about employment opportunities in Bath. However, I have never struggled to secure a retail job in Bristol, I think there is quite a lot of bar work and club promotion work in Bath as well. I don't receive any financial help from the university, I get the standard maintenance loan from student finance but that is all. I know that the university offers a bursary but I'm not sure how much this amounts to and whether it will make a dramatic difference to your financial situation. There is a large shopping center in Bath so employment opportunities should be available, there are loads of restaurants as well so watering etc. should be pretty easy to come by.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (76)
16.52%
No one else does (142)
30.87%
I'm embarrassed about my background (52)
11.3%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (161)
35%
We don't use a video platform (7)
1.52%
I don't have a camera (10)
2.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (12)
2.61%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise