Baby fever Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
A few months ago I had a pregnancy scare it was luckily negative but since then all I've thought is how much I would love to have a baby.
I know it's not an option right now because my boyfriend and I aren't financially or emotionally ready and we are both going uni but I want one and it's killing me.
We've been together over a year and have talked about our future and plan to have kids one day just not right now.
His brother has been with his girlfriend for just 3 months and she is pregnant. I know I should be happy for them but I can't help feeling jealous and angry about it. I keep hearing baby talk and seeing photos. I know its not intentional but it's like it's being rubbed in my face and makes me feel even worse.
I know we will have kids in the future but I can't help what I'm feeling now and don't know what to do. Any advice?
unprinted
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you sure that they're happy with the pregnancy?

When it comes the time around the birth and the first few months, consider giving whatever help you can offer. They'll appreciate it greatly, you'll learn a lot...

... and it may well cure you of wanting one so soon.

In the meantime, yes, you'll notice a lot of baby stuff.
Plumstone
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know the feeling When I was in my first year of university, I really felt like having a baby and even though I was always very careful with contraception, half of me hoped it would fail and I couldn't help feeling disappointed every time my period came.

The best advice I can offer is that you remember the practical reasons why having a child wouldn't be right for you now. Your future children will be much happier if you concentrate on your studies now so that you can support them when they do turn up.

Also, watching some videos of babies screaming inconsolably may give you some perspective on motherhood
Kabloomybuzz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I feel much the same in general... I haven't had a pregnancy scare but I have been broody for years and would have a baby now if the circumstances were right, but they're not.

It might not work for you, but for me, I've found a healthy outlet in watching pregnancy and baby related things like one born every minute and I follow a few youtube mums and pregnancy vlogs. You could also try to get more involved in your brother's Girlfriend's pregnancy if you get on well.. little things like offering to help and asking often how she is... I don't know if this would help you or make it worse, obviously, its not the same but for me its an outlet.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Babies are hard work. Very tiring little critters. Yes they're lovely but very tiring.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Went out with him and his family today and his cousin was there with her baby, his sister brought her daughter and they just kept talking kids. It made everything so much worse and I was close to tears and overwhelmed by it all. I really don't know what to do
katiiiiie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you think this could be an indicator of a bigger problem? I suffer with depression and a while ago I felt like I wanted a baby, my reasons were that a baby would love me unconditionally and I would always have someone, also it meant it could make the relationship between me and my boyfriend stronger. I saw my therapist about it and he explained it did link in with my depression and also said it could mean I was looking for acceptance and company. I'm not necessarily saying you are depressed - just that the fact you are so overwhelmed by wanting one could mean it is more than just being broody.
Kabloomybuzz
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you should seek some counselling. It seems like you might be "grieving" your pregnancy scare and haven't really dealt with that... As the above poster has said, this indicates a bigger problem. Its not like you have been condemned never to have kids and you know yourself the timing is wrong. Getting so upset is a bit of an emotional overraction. Perhaps your baby fever is you subconsciously covering another problem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.6%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.86%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.98%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (78)
9.74%
How can I be the best version of myself? (245)
30.59%

Watched Threads