IELTS score and chances of getting accepted at Cambridge

Watch
mormontre
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi guys, sorry for the late response. I guess that you've already find out what the assessment is at this time. Btw, yes, in the end it was easier than I expected. They e-mailed me saying that I had to do a further assessment and that I could do that online. It was easier than IELTS, but not just because it is an easy test. I think that the point with that is to clearly assess if your english capabilities are enough for you to interact in an academic environment. So it is easy only if you are used to study in english. To me, it was much better doing this test than stiching to all the IELTS rules and procedures, also because you can do it at your own pace.In the end, they removed my english condition I am still waiting for the confirmation of admission, though. I guess that they are being pretty busy in these days reading all the documents etc..
lmukkawa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hello ,
I am from india and i am planning toapply to Cambridge university for Mphil Machine learning course. Idid IELTS exam but i got less band. I need to give it again in themonth of November . What i want to ask is even if got less band i canapply to internal english language program of cambridge . I just wantto chekc out that what is the fees for this program ??? If the courseis very costly then it would be better to take the ielts again
lmukkawa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by mormontre)
Hi guys, sorry for the late response. I guess that you've already find out what the assessment is at this time. Btw, yes, in the end it was easier than I expected. They e-mailed me saying that I had to do a further assessment and that I could do that online. It was easier than IELTS, but not just because it is an easy test. I think that the point with that is to clearly assess if your english capabilities are enough for you to interact in an academic environment. So it is easy only if you are used to study in english. To me, it was much better doing this test than stiching to all the IELTS rules and procedures, also because you can do it at your own pace.In the end, they removed my english condition I am still waiting for the confirmation of admission, though. I guess that they are being pretty busy in these days reading all the documents etc..
hello ,
I am from india and i am planning toapply to Cambridge university for Mphil Machine learning course. Idid IELTS exam but i got less band. I need to give it again in themonth of November . What i want to ask is even if got less band i canapply to internal english language program of cambridge . I just wantto chekc out that what is the fees for this program ??? If the courseis very costly then it would be better to take the ielts again
francy12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,

I've got conditional offer as well and being referred to the language centre for an assessment. Could I contact you via whatsapp or whatever, i'd really need to have a better insight in what this further admission online assessment looks like,Thanks a lot.
francy12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello,
sorry for bothering you. I still have to work on this further assessment, could I ask you some more details with regard to this? please

QUOTE=mormontre;66652482]Hi guys, sorry for the late response. I guess that you've already find out what the assessment is at this time. Btw, yes, in the end it was easier than I expected. They e-mailed me saying that I had to do a further assessment and that I could do that online. It was easier than IELTS, but not just because it is an easy test. I think that the point with that is to clearly assess if your english capabilities are enough for you to interact in an academic environment. So it is easy only if you are used to study in english. To me, it was much better doing this test than stiching to all the IELTS rules and procedures, also because you can do it at your own pace.In the end, they removed my english condition I am still waiting for the confirmation of admission, though. I guess that they are being pretty busy in these days reading all the documents etc..[/QUOTE]
PsychJ
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by miremind)
Hi all, I am also in the similar situation. Had an offer from JBS and my condition is 7.0 in all parts and 7.5 for overall.

I have taken IELTS for multiple times already.
1st time: L 8.0, R 8.0, W 6.5, S 7.0 = overall 7.5
2nd time: L 8.5, R 8.5, W 7.0, S 6.0 = overall 7.5 (This time I kinda had anxiety attack during speaking test so I ****ed up apparently)
3rd time: L 8.5, R 9.0, W 6.5, S 7.0 = overall 8.0

I'm so frustrated that my scores keep fluctuated...argh and it consumed so much time and money to take each one
Anyone experienced similar situation? Do they accept score from multiple sittings?
Hey I just received the same scores as you did have on your last test. How did it work out for you in the end? (also have a cond. offer from JBS )
Fred Alexander
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got a 7.0 band score on my last test and I'm honestly wondering if any recognizing organizations would accept my results and it's really nerve-racking
Joshua97
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's the thing, different organisations have different requirements on the IELTS. I highly recommend http://geniustuition.uk/IELTS.html for anyone who wants free IELTS resources, as well as the option to sit a full mock exam online with the tutor, who gives personalised feedback on each answer so you can see where you're at before sitting the real thing.
emartinez103
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I am at the same situation as you. I´ve been asked to take the language assessment. Could anyone expand on what this assessment is like ?
Marianalima555
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys, I just received my IELTS scores and I got an overall band of 7.5. L:8.5 , R:7.0, W:7.0 and S.6.5. What should I do? I'm just missing the minimum for 0,5 on my speaking. I've already received a conditional offer and my interview with the Professors went really really well. Is there any chance I can take the language assessment test, provided by the University?
Darius143
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi Everyone, i am just curious. I have the following :
Darius143
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
IELTS 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9_Full_high quality Ebooks and Audiobooks. can i sell these??
Lih39maha
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emartinez103)
Hi, I am at the same situation as you. I´ve been asked to take the language assessment. Could anyone expand on what this assessment is like ?
Please tell me what type of questions the speaking assessment
Lih39maha
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lena17)
Hi!

Yes, it consisted of all parts, speaking part is optional so the language centre should contact you when it would be needed.

It is totally different in comparison to IELTS. There was a piece of lecture on Cambridge history as a part of listening which needed to be summarised. Then reading about critical thinking which also needed to be summed up. As writing part I had to describe my English abilities and write why I chose my course. If you would have any other questions, you can PM me ;-) Sorry for such a mess but Im using my phone in hurry :-D
Lih39maha
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by tj23)
Don't worry too much. I had 6.5 in writing and 6.0 in speaking and was still fine after the language centre assessment.

For me this assessment was easier than IELTS because it was closer to what I actually do in my studies. You don't have a time limit but should aim to take no longer than three hours (for the reading/listening/writing bit). You can replay the recorded lecture as many times as you want and can read the text as many times as you want as well. I don't think there is really much you need to prepare for. Especially the writing bit was easier for me since you have to describe your motivation for your chosen course etc rather than discussing a random statement as in IELTS.
FiorellaRG
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by tj23)
Don't worry too much. I had 6.5 in writing and 6.0 in speaking and was still fine after the language centre assessment.

For me this assessment was easier than IELTS because it was closer to what I actually do in my studies. You don't have a time limit but should aim to take no longer than three hours (for the reading/listening/writing bit). You can replay the recorded lecture as many times as you want and can read the text as many times as you want as well. I don't think there is really much you need to prepare for. Especially the writing bit was easier for me since you have to describe your motivation for your chosen course etc rather than discussing a random statement as in IELTS.
Hi!
Could you tell me how long did it take to receive your unconditional offer afer you took the assessment?
Thanks!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.61%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.18%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.83%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (97)
21.75%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.87%
I haven't started researching yet (48)
10.76%

Watched Threads