The Student Room Group

What do you think is the best engineering type for me?

So basically, I've decided that I want to do engineering. I've got all the gcses, a*s/a's but dont know what type to do. I enjoy a basic level of degree of software and technology (ie hacking and modifiying my phone and laptop, and know some basics about code) and enjoy classical mechanics and physics at school. I'm undecided on whether I should go with, mechanical, electrical,general or civil engineering?
Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
So basically, I've decided that I want to do engineering. I've got all the gcses, a*s/a's but dont know what type to do. I enjoy a basic level of degree of software and technology (ie hacking and modifiying my phone and laptop, and know some basics about code) and enjoy classical mechanics and physics at school. I'm undecided on whether I should go with, mechanical, electrical,general or civil engineering?
Thanks

i'd suggest mechatronics, or electromechanical engineering if you like a place that offers those cources.
out of the popular ones I'd say electrical.
Thanks

From the sounds of it, electronic (not electrical) or mechanical engineering sounds most suitable for you, but you really need to look at the syllabi yourself and decide which is the most appealing.
Thanks

From the information you have supplied, I would say that software engineering or maybe even computer science is more up your boat, because you already enjoy using the material that'd be taught on such degrees for practical use, which is what engineering is about.
Thanks for the help guys! I never have really considered electronic engineering so may give it a bit of a look. What I think I may go for though is engineering at cambridge as I have the gcse grades and on track for AS, and then decide due to their basic structure course for the initial two years. If I don't get in I will have to study my choices again. I have work experience at Google this summer (my dad works there in london), and have already done work exp. at jaguar which was amazing, and they said I should consider mechanical, as they'd rather someone have that than automotive or others, but I'm not sure if I want to indulge my life in the automotive industry. Anyway, thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest