The Student Room Group

proof of dy/dx *dx/dy=1

is it acceptable to prove dy/dx * dx/dy=1 in the same way as the chain rule is proved, ie like this:

1= deltay/deltax * deltax/deltay

where delta represents the greek letter delta reperesenting a small but finite change in the quantity

take limits of both sides as deltax goes to 0

1=dy/dx * dx/dy

is this an acceptable proof?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Let's say we have a straight line where an increase of x by 2 gives an increase in y by 5. Then

dy/dx=change in y/change in x
=5/2

dx/dy=change in x/change in y
=2/5

So, dy/dx * dx/dy =(5/2)*(2/5)=1, just a case of cancelling out.

For a general case,

dy/dx * dx/dy
=(change in y/change in x) * (change in x/change in y)
=1, just by cancelling.
It's not really a rigorous one. I think there's something to do with the Inverse Function Theorem that'll help you out.
Reply 3
Original post by MEPS1996
is it acceptable to prove dy/dx * dx/dy=1 in the same way as the chain rule is proved, ie like this:

1= deltay/deltax * deltax/deltay

where delta represents the greek letter delta reperesenting a small but finite change in the quantity

take limits of both sides as deltax goes to 0

1=dy/dx * dx/dy

is this an acceptable proof?

That gets a bit confusing when you come to things like yxzyxz=1\dfrac{\partial y}{\partial x}\dfrac{\partial z}{\partial y}\dfrac{\partial x}{\partial z}=-1.

The better proof goes like:
1=ddy(y)=ddy(f(f1(y)))=d(f1(y))dy(f(f1(y)))1 = \dfrac{d}{dy}(y) = \dfrac{d}{dy}(f(f^{-1}(y))) = \dfrac{d (f^{-1}(y))}{dy} (f'(f^{-1}(y))) by chain rule.
If we now let f1(y)=xf^{-1}(y) = x, we get 1=dxdyf(x)1 = \dfrac{dx}{dy} f'(x), which is what we wanted.

(I think that's rigorous in the case of ff being sufficiently nice - it's enough for it to be continuously differentiable and bijective with everywhere-nonzero derivative, but that's quite restrictive.)
Reply 4
Original post by krisshP
Let's say we have a straight line where an increase of x by 2 gives an increase in y by 5. Then

dy/dx=change in y/change in x
=5/2

dx/dy=change in x/change in y
=2/5

So, dy/dx * dx/dy =(5/2)*(2/5)=1, just a case of cancelling out.

For a general case,

dy/dx * dx/dy
=(change in y/change in x) * (change in x/change in y)
=1, just by cancelling.

dy/dx s not a fraction so you cannot do this. The proof is more complicated than that.
Original post by james22
dy/dx s not a fraction so you cannot do this. The proof is more complicated than that.

Reply 6
can anybody tell me what the problem with my proof is?
Reply 7
[br][br]1x(x)=1[br][br][br][br]\dfrac{1}{x}(x) = 1[br][br]

474aae8fe337f7e8f8c98838ab21056a49e4e299a604f10a55963ba54d03cd7d.jpg
(edited 10 years ago)

How was the chain rule proved in the first place?
Reply 9

Because you are treating dy/dx as a fraction, which you cannot do.
Reply 10
Original post by james22
Because you are treating dy/dx as a fraction, which you cannot do.

Can't you say as y goes increase by n x increases by m.

dy/dx=n/m

dx/dy=m/n

So,

dy/dx*dx/dy=n/m*m/n=1

Maybe my teacher has simplified it all a bit too much or maybe I misunderstand her proof.
Original post by Liamnut

dy/dx=n/m

dx/dy=m/n

So,

dy/dx*dx/dy=n/m*m/n=1

Maybe my teacher has simplified it all a bit too much or maybe I misunderstand her proof.

It is not a proof but an intuitive way to look at it.
Reply 12
Original post by Liamnut

dy/dx=n/m

dx/dy=m/n

So,

dy/dx*dx/dy=n/m*m/n=1

No, that is not a proof. You have basically assumed what you are trying to prove. If y=f(x), and g(x) is the inverse of f(x) (if f is not invertable then dx/dy doesn't really make sense anyway), then dx/dy=g'(y)=g'(f(x)). So what you need to prove is that g'(f(x))*f'(x)=1.
Reply 13

According to your proof (as in my reply above), yxzyxz=1\dfrac{\partial y}{\partial x}\dfrac{\partial z}{\partial y}\dfrac{\partial x}{\partial z}=1, but it's actually 1-1.
Original post by Liamnut

dy/dx=n/m

dx/dy=m/n

So,

dy/dx*dx/dy=n/m*m/n=1

The problem you're having is a bit disguised when people say "you can't treat it as a fraction"; you have to treat it like:

dy(x0)dx=limxx0f(x)f(x0)xx0\dfrac{dy(x_0)}{dx} = \displaystyle\lim_{x\to x_0}\dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}

which is the rigourous definition of the derivative. It is a limit, where now treating it as a fraction is no longer valid as the limit of the denominator is zero (otherwise, the 'algebra of limits' would have permitted treating it like a fraction - the issue is that if the denominator has a limit of zero, then 'as a fraction' it is undefined because we can't divide by zero).
Reply 15
Original post by hassassin04
How was the chain rule proved in the first place?

the limit of delta y/delta u * delta u/delta x was taken as delta x goes to 0
Reply 16
Original post by majmuh24
Because you have assumed what you are trying to prove.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, i used the fact delta y/delta x * delta x/delta y=1 to prove dy/dx *dx/dy=1
Very interesting and useful tips.I read step by step this informations and help me very much.Thank you very much for this informations!
Reply 18
Original post by FireGarden
The problem you're having is a bit disguised when people say "you can't treat it as a fraction"; you have to treat it like:

dy(x0)dx=limxx0f(x)f(x0)xx0\dfrac{dy(x_0)}{dx} = \displaystyle\lim_{x\to x_0}\dfrac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}

which is the rigourous definition of the derivative. It is a limit, where now treating it as a fraction is no longer valid as the limit of the denominator is zero (otherwise, the 'algebra of limits' would have permitted treating it like a fraction - the issue is that if the denominator has a limit of zero, then 'as a fraction' it is undefined because we can't divide by zero).

im treating delta y/delta x as a fraction, not dy/dx, where delta represents a small but finite change
Reply 19
im treating delta y/delta x as a fraction, not dy/dx, where delta represents a small but finite change

Which is fine as long as you only deal with delta y and delta x.

But dy/dx and and dx/dy are not fractions, they are the result of processes - specifically, limiting processes.

Formally, we define:

dydx=limδx0δyδx\displaystyle \dfrac{dy}{dx} = \displaystyle \lim_{\delta x \to 0} \dfrac{\delta y}{\delta x}

which means "let delta-x go to 0 and consider the limit of the ratio of (delta y)/(delta x)" and:

dxdy=limδy0δxδy\displaystyle \dfrac{dx}{dy} = \displaystyle \lim_{\delta y \to 0} \dfrac{\delta x}{\delta y}

which means "let delta-y go to 0 and consider the limit of the ratio of (delta x)/(delta y)"

Note that each of these involves a different limiting process - the former looks at what happens when we let delta-x tend to 0 as our independent variable; the latter looks at what happens when we let delta-y tend to 0 as our independent variable.

You're trying to argue that dy/dx and dx/dy "are just limits of fractions" without specifying how those limits are taken - the limit definition requires a statement of the thing you're allowing to vary!

That's why we need a bit of formal machinery (the Inverse Function Theorem) to tell us that what we'd like to happen is what really happens :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest