I'm not sure who to vote for in the next EU election?

Watch
moarcatgod
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
First person to convince gets my vote
An Ignorant Duck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't care, just don't vote UKIP
De Pays
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't care, just don't vote lib/lab/con
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am still thinking of how to vote myself. But the important thing to remember is that you're voting based on European issues, not domestic British ones. So using your vote based on your opinion of a British party's national record is only part of the story (and arguably, should not be part of it at all).

What things concern you on a European level that the European Parliament deals with? The EU has exclusive competence over the customs union, the competition rules, eurozone monetary policy, the common fisheries policy, the common commercial policy, and the conclusion of certain international agreements.

It has shared competence over the internal market, certain parts of social policy, economic, social and territorial cohesion agriculture and fisheries, environment, consumer protection, transport, and energy.
De Pays
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gladders)
I am still thinking of how to vote myself. But the important thing to remember is that you're voting based on European issues, not domestic British ones. So using your vote based on your opinion of a British party's national record is only part of the story (and arguably, should not be part of it at all).What things concern you on a European level that the European Parliament deals with? The EU has exclusive competence over the customs union, the competition rules, eurozone monetary policy, the common fisheries policy, the common commercial policy, and the conclusion of certain international agreements.It has shared competence over the internal market, certain parts of social policy, economic, social and territorial cohesion agriculture and fisheries, environment, consumer protection, transport, and energy.
It really doesn't matter the British vote is dwarfed by the rest of Europe, due to this mixed with the low participation rate its democratic mandate to legislate in the UK is rather weak.
gladders
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by De Pays)
It really doesn't matter the British vote is dwarfed by the rest of Europe, due to this mixed with the low participation rate its democratic mandate to legislate in the UK is rather weak.
Not really dwarfed. Maybe in the European Parliament. but its presence in the Council of Ministers is significant and it's hotly sought after for support for new measures.

As for the democratic mandate, you have a point. But then that's an argument for getting everybody to vote!
Mockery
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lib Dem - Most pro-EU, will probably just bend over backwards and let the EU parliament straddle them whilst giving them a good spanking with a paddle.

Labour - Haven't seemed to vocalise what they'd bring to the table, pro-EU but would probably just result in status quo.

Con - Pro-EU and are looking to instigate several reforms, recently on issues like benefit options to EU immigrants.

UKIP - Waste of a vote, you won't be voting to leave the EU, you'll just be giving them jobs to sit around in Europe not co-operating with anyone and throwing tantrum after tantrum.

A very simplified diagnosis
jenkinsear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you like spending other people's money and champagne: Labour

If you feel guilty about being middle class or spending other people's money: Lib Dem

If you just want to get as rich as possible and care about little else: Conservative

If you hate the EU and 'political correctness': UKIP

If you love wind farms, high electricity bills and dislike washing: Green

If you're a mindless skinhead/fascist: BNP

If you're a bit of a racist but are less proud of it: English Democrat

If you're a bit of a xenophobe and Scottish: SNP

If you're a bit of a xenophobe and Welsh: Plaid Cymru
captain.sensible
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
vote UKIP - the EU is a wasted institution, so an apparently "wasted vote" to symbolise this would be to usher in the precedent of anti-EU sentiment on the national and more relevant domestic level (as even a vote for UKIP in a mostly irrelevant election is important to the national political machinery), and UKIP would be the best way of quickening any chance for an EU referendum. UKIP is a stamp against any further increases in the power of the EU (as if MEPs have any power anyhow) so UKIP is a first-resort block against idiocy from brussels. a vote for a party that isn't present as much as some other parties is better than voting for a party that is more-so present but votes in an idiotic and ass-kissing manner.

obviously, the EU is an undemocratic and detached institution which takes away electoral/representative power from this country and hands it over to europe instead. it's the reason we have basically no ability to control european immigration. a vote for UKIP in this sense would be meaningful if it marked a voice against our state being diminished unfairly in favour of other countries' citizens over our own
Falcatas
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you care about democracy, the ability of the people being able to decide their political future through the ballot box, vote UKIP.
This is not a general election so domestic policies don't really matter here. I probably wouldn't for any parties in a general election but I think Britain would be better outside the undemocratic elitist shambles that is the EU.
No Man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you don't trust/hate the EU government (and hope/know other EU countries are just as annoyed), vote UKIP.
If you want the UK to continue as an EU sock puppet, vote one of the other parties.

Simple as that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads