This discussion is closed.
Emilydimmock98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Angelo12231)
what mark you think you got?
Hopefully quite high as I gave myself about 50 minutes to answer the 16 mark question as I found the first few questions quite easy especially the first one but it annoyed me that the paper wasn't split into section A, B and C like it has been in previous years.

What do you think you got??
Angelo12231
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Emilydimmock98)
Hopefully quite high as I gave myself about 50 minutes to answer the 16 mark question as I found the first few questions quite easy especially the first one but it annoyed me that the paper wasn't split into section A, B and C like it has been in previous years.

What do you think you got??
i think worst case would be 34/40 and yh it was quite easy but the structure was baffling... btw do you think 34/40 is an A*?
happydays507
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i think worst case would be 34/40 and yh it was quite easy but the structure was baffling... btw do you think 34/40 is an A*?
27/40 is approx a C grade so yeah I guess
Mukhstar98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
the exam was alright, so much to write. I've been told that around 33/40 is an A* and 27 is an A. How did everyone find the exam on a whole? #i chose option 2
Emilydimmock98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by happydays507)
27/40 is approx a C grade so yeah I guess
Well my teacher told me that an A was 30/40 on the short course last year, so hopefully 33/34 ish will be an A*
TheAstrocist
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Interesting that so many people put Method 2, I thought Method 3 was definitely the best.
Patrick2810
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it's rather despicable in the last question. It simply said to comment on which was the most sustainable for "people" and "communities"

WHAT FU CKING COMMUNITIES??!?!?!?!

Communities in Australia? USA? Bangladesh? What??

Fair enough it said the study was done by the university of Dhaka but really...AWFUL AWFUL QUESTION. Who am I to say the university of Dhaka can only do studies on Bangladesh? And if we are assuming it was, WHERE ? DHAKA? OR THE ****ING FARMS IN THE FLOODPLAIN? Absolutely appalling. I mean, in one place one way is more sustainable and other places, others...

And, WTF was it on about, asking us to talk about "sustainability of protecting people and communities" did it want us to talk about environmental sustainability or not?

That on top of the fact that half way through the invigilator told us we can ONLY write on the lines...which meant I had to cross much of my work out that was off the lines in the blank space...along with at least 60% of the other students.

How did the exam go for everyone else? I hope the wording improves for the key themes but if both the papers were written a long time ago....which...they were... I don't know what I can say.

I hope all schools switch to AQA who obviously have a much better scanning system and at least you understand WHAT THE QUESTION IS ACTUALLY ASKING YOU.

One word for me: CALAMITY
itsConnor_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheAstrocist)
Interesting that so many people put Method 2, I thought Method 3 was definitely the best.
Same.

What options did everyone else go for?
odjack
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Patrick2810)
I think it's rather despicable in the last question. It simply said to comment on which was the most sustainable for "people" and "communities"

WHAT FU CKING COMMUNITIES??!?!?!?!

Communities in Australia? USA? Bangladesh? What??

Fair enough it said the study was done by the university of Dhaka but really...AWFUL AWFUL QUESTION. Who am I to say the university of Dhaka can only do studies on Bangladesh? And if we are assuming it was, WHERE ? DHAKA? OR THE ****ING FARMS IN THE FLOODPLAIN? Absolutely appalling. I mean, in one place one way is more sustainable and other places, others...

And, WTF was it on about, asking us to talk about "sustainability of protecting people and communities" did it want us to talk about environmental sustainability or not?

That on top of the fact that half way through the invigilator told us we can ONLY write on the lines...which meant I had to cross much of my work out that was off the lines in the blank space...along with at least 60% of the other students.

How did the exam go for everyone else? I hope the wording improves for the key themes but if both the papers were written a long time ago....which...they were... I don't know what I can say.

I hope all schools switch to AQA who obviously have a much better scanning system and at least you understand WHAT THE QUESTION IS ACTUALLY ASKING YOU.

One word for me: CALAMITY
Woah, what? They didn't tell us anything about not writing over the lines. For pretty much every question I wrote to the end of the page and then in the extra booklet...:confused:

Have to say I agree with you about the 16 mark question - it's pretty difficult to link everything back to 'protection of people and communities' (whatever that means) rather than social/economic etc.
Went for Method 2, pretty much argued it was the only one that would actually prevent the damage while the other two were just awareness and preparation, etc, etc.
Clarinet
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I went for method 2 and then regretted it after a few minutes :/

I also said that women might feel vulnerable if they weren't segregated in the shelters??
Patrick2810
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by odjack)
Woah, what? They didn't tell us anything about not writing over the lines. For pretty much every question I wrote to the end of the page and then in the extra booklet...:confused:
They said it won't get scanned but maybe they were just incompetent
co16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by patrick2810)
i think it's rather despicable in the last question. It simply said to comment on which was the most sustainable for "people" and "communities"

what fu cking communities??!?!?!?!

Communities in australia? Usa? Bangladesh? What??

Fair enough it said the study was done by the university of dhaka but really...awful awful question. Who am i to say the university of dhaka can only do studies on bangladesh? And if we are assuming it was, where ? Dhaka? Or the ****ing farms in the floodplain? Absolutely appalling. I mean, in one place one way is more sustainable and other places, others...

And, wtf was it on about, asking us to talk about "sustainability of protecting people and communities" did it want us to talk about environmental sustainability or not?

That on top of the fact that half way through the invigilator told us we can only write on the lines...which meant i had to cross much of my work out that was off the lines in the blank space...along with at least 60% of the other students.

How did the exam go for everyone else? I hope the wording improves for the key themes but if both the papers were written a long time ago....which...they were... I don't know what i can say.

I hope all schools switch to aqa who obviously have a much better scanning system and at least you understand what the question is actually asking you.

One word for me: Calamity
wtfffff wat only writing on lines wut half of my bloody stuff is on no lines wat wat wat
Mukhstar98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i agree about the fact that it didn't specify an actual location for the 16 marker. I chose method two. my best point was that planting trees increases interception and so the waves and winds weaken. This reduces the impact on people, land and livestock. I also said that by planting trees more co2 is absorbed. This can reduce global warming. This is sustainable because it means that sea levels and surface temperature don't rise. This would decrease the overall strength of the cyclone because there is less water and the temperature is lower. does that make sense?
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They said it won't get scanned but maybe they were just incompetent
noo you cant write out of the lines just not proper down the page like at the complete bottom of the page. If you look on the paper, there was corner borders on each page to show which part of the exam would be scanned... if you went over these borders then... im so sorry but you failed... but if you just went about 5cm out of the lines then you willl be fiiinneee
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mukhstar98)
i agree about the fact that it didn't specify an actual location for the 16 marker. I chose method two. my best point was that planting trees increases interception and so the waves and winds weaken. This reduces the impact on people, land and livestock. I also said that by planting trees more co2 is absorbed. This can reduce global warming. This is sustainable because it means that sea levels and surface temperature don't rise. This would decrease the overall strength of the cyclone because there is less water and the temperature is lower. does that make sense?
no but you had to... the whole booklet was about bangladesh... cyclone in bangladesh was the theme. so you had to choose the option best suited to the LEDC country lol and what ? trees and co2 were not part of the methods?! were they?
Patrick2810
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no but you had to... the whole booklet was about bangladesh... cyclone in bangladesh was the theme. so you had to choose the option best suited to the LEDC country lol
So what many of the other questions were on Bangladesh? Who are we to assume where they did the study?

There is no "lol" in the grade you get in August.
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So what many of the other questions were on Bangladesh? Who are we to assume where they did the study?
exactly... ALLL of the other question were on bangladesh and cities in bangladesh :facepalm: Everything on the exam leads up to the 16 mark question and it would be pretty pointless to have a 16 marker in which you can choose which country you want to do... the exam board would never let you do that as every must have an equal test in the sense that some people might pick easier places to do than others... If you wrote about another country or MEDC or whatever then i dont think you will get many marks... But i completely agree with you on the fact that they never made it clear, i think it was stupid of the exam board... terrible
Mukhstar98
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
no but you had to... the whole booklet was about bangladesh... cyclone in bangladesh was the theme. so you had to choose the option best suited to the LEDC country lol and what ? trees and co2 were not part of the methods?! were they?
yeah i wrote about an ledc anyway. Also, yeah in option two they said they'd plant forests. So i linked the idea of global warming. I said all the other stuff which was relevant and this was said because i had extra time
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mukhstar98)
yeah i wrote about an ledc anyway. Also, yeah in option two they said they'd plant forests. So i linked the idea of global warming. I said all the other stuff which was relevant and this was said because i had extra time
nice idea but how does that associate with cyclones?oh and btw, planting trees was not to take pollution out... it was for interception, which is when flooding from the cyclone is intercepted by trees to reduce impact.
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

There is no "lol" in the grade you get in August.
but there is one in the one you are gonna get XD im joking im joking. but seriously... the 16 mark was on bangladesh and the other questions were on bangladesh WHERE WERE YOU IN THE EXAM DUDE?!?! COOCOO LAND?? THE BLOODY RESOURCE BOOKLET WAS ALLLLL ABOUT A CYCLONE IN BANGLADESH. what the questions were meant to do was lead up to the 16 marker which would be answered in terms of bangladesh.... if it wasnt on bangladesh then that 16 marker would be a very very broad question in which no exam board would use -_- Also, the question freakin said... look at resource 8 which was a research university in BANGLADESH
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
65.66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21.21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.13%

Watched Threads