This discussion is closed.
Angelo12231
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tamkid)
Hahaha my friend sat next to me and from the corner of eye every few minutes I could just see her drop her pen and sit back :P she didn't write much, my hand killed after I finished! I didn't look back through the paper haha I just thought I was completely done with DMEs for good!
ahahaha i think the worst thing about sdme papers is that you never know when to stop writing as you want to get full marks on every question
tamkid
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Angelo12231)
ahahaha i think the worst thing about sdme papers is that you never know when to stop writing as you want to get full marks on every question
yeah thats why I felt I needed to write over the lines for every question ahahahah
k.bryan4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Patrick2810)
Whilst I may be a fairly oblivious person in regards to various topics, I feel that it is the job of the exam board to make it clear to candidates what they actually want them to write about. I believe even though some candidates might find it obvious, some who have a let's say more open mind would struggle with the idea that we must make assumptions about what the question is asking.

I am not a person that likes making assumptions on a question that, literally, accounts for 10% of my Geography GCSE grade.

Moreover, I feel like if they do want us to simply assume what the question is asking us to write, there is something fundamentally wrong with the way they approach writing papers.

I take each question as a different question. If they want them to be interlinked then they can use a) b) c) i) ii), etc. By using numbers to separate the questions, they are implying that the questions are intrinsically separate.

Therefore if one looks at the question objectively, it asks simply which options are sustainable for, quote, "people and communities." This thus leaves a sense of ambiguity which triggers a thought process of what exactly the question wants us to do.

Thus I am saying that by looking at the question objectively, one can interpret it different to others. For example someone may think that they must talk about the extent of each of the options' sustainability in MEDCs compared to LEDCs, and use the diagram to help them with their LEDC argument.

In my eyes, it simply should not be up to the candidate to make assumptions upon what the question was asking. This, of course, would be different if it said it was the "Geography SDME: Bangladesh" on the front of the paper.

I hope you can understand where I am coming from.
I'm all with you on this one, on all the mocks i did, it always specified what areas it was talking about, even if the entire resource booklet was based on the area, the exam board didn't specify this time so they can't just expect us to assume that
ghlgb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by k.bryan4)
I'm all with you on this one, on all the mocks i did, it always specified what areas it was talking about, even if the entire resource booklet was based on the area, the exam board didn't specify this time so they can't just expect us to assume that
Toplel. Managed to get an E in this paper, wheras got full UMS on the key themes, like what xD
Came out with an overall A, how did you guys all do?
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ghlgb)
Toplel. Managed to get an E in this paper, wheras got full UMS on the key themes, like what xD
Came out with an overall A, how did you guys all do?
LOL omg XD you saved yourself completely.
newmss
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Followed this advice on this thread, and got 59/60 I basically wrote as much as possible on those 4-6 lines that they give you.
ghlgb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LOL omg XD you saved yourself completely.
I just cant comprehend xD in all mocks i got A*s in this paper and C's in the other, they must have got confused lol hahah ;P
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ghlgb)
I just cant comprehend xD in all mocks i got A*s in this paper and C's in the other, they must have got confused lol hahah ;P
LOOL well, its good either way because an A* in more valuable on the themes paper XD On my last mocks, i got C for SDME, D for themes and A* for controlled assessment, then for the real i got full ums in all, except 118/120
ghlgb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LOOL well, its good either way because an A* in more valuable on the themes paper XD On my last mocks, i got C for SDME, D for themes and A* for controlled assessment, then for the real i got full ums in all, except 118/120

Yeah haha, i didnt understand the paper though so no idea how i got 120 ums xD oh well hahah, my controlled assesment got moderated down a great, A* to A, but im more than happy with an A to be honest ;P Geography isnt my strength anyway . Damn well done!! thats some impressive stuff, you taking a level geography then?
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ghlgb)
Yeah haha, i didnt understand the paper though so no idea how i got 120 ums xD oh well hahah, my controlled assesment got moderated down a great, A* to A, but im more than happy with an A to be honest ;P Geography isnt my strength anyway . Damn well done!! thats some impressive stuff, you taking a level geography then?
LOL you actually deserve an A* and helll nooo LOL not a chance what are you taking?
ghlgb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LOL you actually deserve an A* and helll nooo LOL not a chance what are you taking?
Are you crazy? did you get full marks in all your subjects then? xD !
Im taking maths, further maths, physics and economics. You? ;P

haha, well i live with the pride of knowing i got full ums in a paper that made no sense to me ;D
Angelo12231
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ghlgb)
Are you crazy? did you get full marks in all your subjects then? xD !
Im taking maths, further maths, physics and economics. You? ;P

haha, well i live with the pride of knowing i got full ums in a paper that made no sense to me ;D
LOOOL no way :3 Im not really an A* God of TSR perfectionist... My grades don't represent that at all...
and hmmm i've seen that combination a lot XD excellent choices though...

Im doing Maths Chemistry Biology Physics
ghlgb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
LOOOL no way :3 Im not really an A* God of TSR perfectionist... My grades don't represent that at all...
and hmmm i've seen that combination a lot XD excellent choices though...

Im doing Maths Chemistry Biology Physics

Haha, well you at least got onethat i know of. Im getting so many remarked though aha xD
Yeah, its kinda of a popular one with the guys, but im a girl so you know, hipster
Ahh the sciences, sounds good
Syed-Haque
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm also doing Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics since I want to try cosmology. I'm probably going to fail cosmology since, I might be getting full marks now, but I really doubt I will in A Levels, and since I'm probably going to fail Physics, I wanted to try Medicine or Bio-Chemo engineering or something along the lines of that. If all else fails, I'm going to try applied physics or astrophysics...

But yeah, the SDME's really annoy me. I just can't do them. Key Themes and Coursework = A*, but the SDME? A and maybe an A* if I try. I write really slowly so the 16 marker is the one that I can never bloody finish.
Libaan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is this gcse ocr B for geography? The teacher told us its all about globilisation and development and the other paper is on natural hazard, correct me if im wrong
Fox Corner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is a pretty old thread - if you'd like to start a new one for this exam, you can do so here
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (46)
65.71%
No I haven't decided yet (16)
22.86%
Yes but I might change my mind (8)
11.43%

Watched Threads