Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge Summer School (June 29th - July 4th) watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here got a place on the Summer School at Cambridge this year and staying in St John's?

I stayed at Clare College (Maths) last summer. it was lots of fun and you will both learn a lot and meet loads of new people. Don't worry about not knowing anyone. I don't think they offer places to two people at the same school and I went there without knowing anyone.

went two years ago around 8 of us from same school....

what is this for? students who want to apply to cambridge?? all i can say is good luck

ReputationRep:
    The Summer School's paid for by the Sutton Trust, a charity which funds summer schools to a range of universities such as Nottingham, Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick.

I think the idea is that you apply based on your GCSE grades as potential students. I'm doubtful whether even to apply to study full time at Cambridge, though, because the courses available are very traditional, but I won't know what they have to offer me before I've spent some time there.

I've just had the timetable back from the University - the week looks really cool! Not sure about the punting, though!!

Originally posted by Surfing Hamster
    The Summer School's paid for by the Sutton Trust, a charity which funds summer schools to a range of universities such as Nottingham, Oxford, Cambridge and Warwick.

I think the idea is that you apply based on your GCSE grades as potential students. I'm doubtful whether even to apply to study full time at Cambridge, though, because the courses available are very traditional, but I won't know what they have to offer me before I've spent some time there.

I've just had the timetable back from the University - the week looks really cool! Not sure about the punting, though!!
    On the last day everyone in the summer school, as well as other people will be punting. It is carnage on the River Cam.

yep that was jokes...tons of people fell into the river, was so funny! they look after you properly taking u pizza hut and stuff all paid for aswell....

Which course were you doing and in which year?

dunno wot course we didnt have to pick one, i went in summer 2001

I went last year, the biology summer school at Sidney Sussex- It was really good. Made plenty of friends, and no-one knew anyone else, so you had to!!!
    The food was awful, but with Sainsbury's just across from the gate you didn't starve!
    We learnt a lot, additional to AS and even A2, but it wasn't too far out of everyone's depth. We did silly things as well, like setting up an imaginary business with other summer school groups and laserquest!
    Don't worry about punting, you don't have to have a go with the stick thing, but it's not that bad!!
    We even had a message board until recently to keep in touch!

The summer program at Cam is such a ripoff! It doesn't even increase the chances of getting into Cambridge anyway.

The funny thing is: All the people who went on the course at my school got rejected from Cambridge. On the other hand, quite a number of people who never went got offers. I guess Cambridge decided that they ripped off enough the people who went and wants to rip off those who never spared the bucks to go .

ReputationRep:
    I went on a sutton trust summer school 2 years ago. i did the physics one at oxford. it was a lot of fun and i met some really nice people as well. also some challenging work to get you thinking.

also with the sutton trust everything is paid for you, even your transport there and back, all food and accomadation. so its not a rip off.

I went on the Sutton Trust Summer School to Oxford last year, to read History and it was mega fun(Despite having to do a presentation, where I didn't have a clue what I was rambling on about)!

You get everything paid for, even the petrol to get there, and you meet loads of people, who may even end up at the same uni as you.

If anyone is ever given the chance to go, GO!

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    The summer program at Cam is such a ripoff! It doesn't even increase the chances of getting into Cambridge anyway.

The funny thing is: All the people who went on the course at my school got rejected from Cambridge. On the other hand, quite a number of people who never went got offers. I guess Cambridge decided that they ripped off enough the people who went and wants to rip off those who never spared the bucks to go .
    You can call it many things, but a ripoff is definitely not one of them.

You'll have the best time, and contrary to what was said, I know many people who went on the Cambridge Maths course and got offers.

ReputationRep:
    It's just over a week before I go now and I'm really scared about it!!! I know it's gonna be lots of fun though 'cos I've received the programme for it.

I can't wait!!

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Surfing Hamster
    It's just over a week before I go now and I'm really scared about it!!! I know it's gonna be lots of fun though 'cos I've received the programme for it.

I can't wait!!
    Don't worry, many people are in the same boat as you, and everyone will be really nice. After a few days you will forget about your surroundings and think of it as home.

ReputationRep:
    It was partying all the way..

If you get the chance..GO! I had one of the best weeks I've ever had!

ReputationRep:
    I know that I wanted to go to the oxford 1, but my parents wouldn't let me, cause they said I had to go on holiday with them, which really sucks. When I went up there for the open day, I loved, it, so you'll have a great time, any1 whose going there, cause every1 is really friendly, adn there are loads of pubs and bars,etc.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    i have a friend who is going to guerton college (the reject one), i will find out what its like!

ReputationRep:
    Is that in cambridge? Why do you say it's the reject 1?

Phil

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.