V635 - Licence Agreements Summarisation Bill 2014

Watch
Poll: Should this bill be passed into law?
As many are of the opinion, Aye (25)
69.44%
Of the contrary, No (3)
8.33%
Abstain (8)
22.22%
This discussion is closed.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
B635 - Licence Agreements Summarisation Bill 2014, TSR Government

Licence Agreements Summarisation Act 2014

An Act to prevent grossly over complicated Terms & Conditions, End User Licence Agreements and other legal policies or agreements designed solely to confuse the end user into accepting.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1 Definitions
  1. A Licence Agreement is any document presented to an individual or corporation which is, when agreed to, legally binding or affects the individual or corporation's statutory rights.
  2. The Author is the individual or corporation who is presenting the Licence Agreement, regardless of who wrote it.
  3. A document is also classed as a Licence Agreement if it grants the Author any form of defence in a Court of Law.
  4. The End User is the individual or corporation to whom the Licence Agreement is being presented.

2 Summaries
  1. When presented to an End User, the Licence Agreement must contain a Summary.
  2. The Summary must be the first part of the Licence Agreement, following only any headings.
  3. The Summary must be of SMOG readability level no greater than 15.
  4. The Summary must contain all points which:—
    1. grant the Author any form of defence in a Court of Law, or
    2. affect in any way the statutory rights of the End User.

3 Short title, Extent, Enactment, etc.
  1. This Act may be referred to as the Licence Agreements Summarisation Act 2014.
  2. This Act extends to the entire United Kingdom.
  3. This Act will come into force immediately, following Royal Assent.

Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Excellent, pro-consumer legislation. I urge everyone to support this.
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I like the idea, however:

1. It is unclear what must be included in the summary. If a description of all points, it is simply an even longer version of the license, which is not necessarily useful. If not all, then by excluding some points it may worsen the situation by making the agreements misleading in addition to incomprehensible.

2. If there are contradictions, intentional or not, between summary and license it is not clear which, if either, would take precedence.

3. There are no penalties stated for the summary being incorrect or misleading, intentionally or otherwise.

4. The requirement to state "all points which affect in any way the statutory rights of the End User." is meaningless; statutory rights are rights that cannot be amended or removed by contract.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
The Ayes to the right: 25
The Noes to the left: 3
Abstentions: 8

So the Ayes have it, the Ayes have it. Unlock.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (577)
34.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (689)
41.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
19.94%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.48%

Watched Threads