Physical Chemistry - Rates, Half-Life etc

Watch
Smoke_565
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello!

Can somebody please explain how am I supposed to find the answer to this question (I've attached the image as it is more convenient than typing it out again...)?

Any detail explanations will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you so much
Attached files
DashStrike
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To identify the half-life look at the initial value (at 0) and when the value halves (at 480s). For the order, identify another half life. If it's still the same time (which it is) then the reaction is first order. To calculate the rate constant you need an initial rate.
Alternatively if you have a Facer book for A2 look at page 11 at the bottom. For this reaction, rate=-d[ester]/dt is an approximation that measures the average rate during the period. For first order reaction rate=-d[ester]/dt=k[ester].
From that you get kt= ln[ester0] - ln[esterT]. Ester0 is initial, esterT is conc at time T. After one half life [ester1/2]=1/2[ester0].
From that you can rearrange and get k=ln2/halflife(in seconds). As you can see it's very complicated so I'm guessing somewhere there's a rate.

For part b the stochiometry indicates the reaction is first order as the half-life is constant. I have no idea of the order you found from the experiment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (27)
14.44%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (55)
29.41%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
40.11%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.37%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise