Natural Selection:Evolution???????? Watch
Hi, I'm very confused. What is Natural Selection? and What is evolution?How are they related? and what evidence is there for it?
- An animal has a random DNA mutation resulting in a gene for better eyesight (call this gene the 'eyesight allele')
- The animal with the eyesight allele is better at catching prey/ escaping predators so is better able to survive.
- The animal has a higher chance of reproducing due to a longer lifetime etc.
- The animal passes on the eyesight allele to its offspring.
- Its offspring are more likely to survive and reproduce.
- The eyesight allele gradually becomes more common and so the animals acquire better eyesight.
That is the process of natural selection. The result is that the animals have evolved.
So, evolution is the result of natural selection, if that makes sense?
The evidence for this is through looking at things like fossils, where the changes in a species over time can be seen. Or for example I think Darwin looked at birds with different beaks - birds with alleles for big beaks had evolved in places with nuts and birds for alleles with thin beaks had evolved in places with worms or something, and the birds both came from the same original ancestor. Random mutations in DNA had given different sized beaks that were advantageous in different circumstances, so evolution had occurred.
I hope that helps a bit, it's a bit waffley sorry!