The Student Room Group

English higher GCSE or foundation?!

Hello:smile:

I'm contemplating whether to do english foundation gcse or higher...

Overall I would like a B grade in both language and literature. I know foundation paper is only limited to a C grade but my english teacher said my coursework would bring my grade up to a B.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which tier to chose?
Choose higher, in year 10 I did higher AQA English Language mock for the first time and gained a C. In year 11, I did the foundation paper as a mock, and got a D. A month after I did the English Language mock for higher this time, and got an A. The last two questions are basically identical in foundation and higher. But if you get say, 20/40 on the last two questions, it will be worth lower in foundation than on higher. Plus if you do higher you might surprise yourself and come out with an A like I did!

Original post by maddiegarcia
Hello:smile:

I'm contemplating whether to do english foundation gcse or higher...

Overall I would like a B grade in both language and literature. I know foundation paper is only limited to a C grade but my english teacher said my coursework would bring my grade up to a B.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on which tier to chose?
Reply 2
Original post by Ben4
Choose higher, in year 10 I did higher AQA English Language mock for the first time and gained a C. In year 11, I did the foundation paper as a mock, and got a D. A month after I did the English Language mock for higher this time, and got an A. The last two questions are basically identical in foundation and higher. But if you get say, 20/40 on the last two questions, it will be worth lower in foundation than on higher. Plus if you do higher you might surprise yourself and come out with an A like I did!

Thankyou for your help :smile: I might do higher, I'm just really worried that i may not get the grade I want.
Original post by maddiegarcia
Thankyou for your help :smile: I might do higher, I'm just really worried that i may not get the grade I want.

Be optimistic - Mr bruff on youtube is really good revision tool.
Reply 4
Original post by Ben4
Be optimistic - Mr bruff on youtube is really good revision tool.

Thankyou!! :smile:

Quick Reply