The Student Room Group

Low IQ - Will this hinder my university options?

Do universities such as Oxford or Cambridge look at your IQ, especially in science, as science is my passion and I would love to pursue it. I am predicted all A*s except 1A at GCSE but my IQ was only measured at 121. Do you think, even if I got these grades and replicated the same predicted success at A-level that this Mensa test will put me at a disadvantage?
Reply 1
Original post by Parrotperson
Do universities such as Oxford or Cambridge look at your IQ, especially in science, as science is my passion and I would love to pursue it. I am predicted all A*s except 1A at GCSE but my IQ was only measured at 121. Do you think, even if I got these grades and replicated the same predicted success at A-level that this Mensa test will put me at a disadvantage?

Definitely not to be brief!
121 isn't low...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not at all. IQ is a questionable method of measuring intelligence anyway, and it in no way forms part of a university application (lots, if not most, university applicants have probably never had an official IQ test). It's your GCSE and A-level grades, subjects chosen, personal statement and reference that are taken into consideration (and your interview if applicable, which it will be if you're applying to Oxford or Cambridge).
(edited 10 years ago)
R U bein serious m8?
Reply 5
No, but if you indicate that you think that 1 standard deviation above average is "low" during your interview that probably will do.

Quick Reply

Latest