The Student Room Group

The problem with Western feminists

It really pisses me off that most Western feminists nowadays (either subconsciously or consciously) have an extremely patronising attitude towards those who do not share their narrow viewpoints of what defines gender equality and automatically view these people to be oppressed and often refused to accept that they are not even when told so :confused:

Of course, the most common example given of the latter is Muslim women but it can apply to many other groups as well.

Mehreen Kasana, a Pakistani writer from Lahore sums it up quite well in my opinion:

"When a white feminist conducts a conference on gender equality, I want her to introduce me as a Human Being, not an example for her friends and sponsors to examine and exhibit and capitalize on. I want her to ask me what my thoughts are concerning feminism in academia. I want her to understand that there are compartments to my feminist movement; that feminism in my society in the professional realm is far different than feminism in the domestic dimension. I want her to understand that things are not simple. I want her to stop reducing my people to a piece of cloth. I want her to look back and realize that feminists, too, can be very well racist and oppressive. I want her to know that enforcing her idea of success, happiness and liberation on women alienated by her very own culture does not help. I want her to talk to my sisters, cousins, friends, teachers, activists, women from the village, women from the city, women from every corner of my country, my culture, my history before she even thinks of concluding her thoughts on how to define feminism around the world. I want her to open her mind.

I want her to know that the conference she conducted on academic discussions on women’s rights, while poorly-paid migrant workers my brothers and sisters are preparing lunch for their lofty thinkers only to get deported the next day, is no good when she can’t acknowledge her own participation in silencing the rights of those around her. I don’t want to be invited to seminars where someone indirectly hints at me wearing my “cultural attire” to show diversity. What am I? A mannequin for the lot?"

Opinions?
You know, I used to call myself a feminist and feel proud that I was fighting for equality. Then one day, somebody asked me what exactly wasn't equal between men and women. All I could come up with was that 'men squeeze women's butts in public'. I stopped thinking of myself as a feminist after that.
This is NOTHING compared to what some women in developing countries suffer on a daily basis. The west doesn't need feminism, developing countries do.
Reply 2
Original post by suzylemonade
You know, I used to call myself a feminist and feel proud that I was fighting for equality. Then one day, somebody asked me what exactly wasn't equal between men and women. All I could come up with was that 'men squeeze women's butts in public'. I stopped thinking of myself as a feminist after that.
This is NOTHING compared to what some women in developing countries suffer on a daily basis. The west doesn't need feminism, developing countries do.

I agree there is a difference between equality and laws which seek to discriminate against men unfairly. The days of the heroic suffragettes are over, the days of the self righteous bitch are upon us.

An example- I was discussing with a friend the other day and apparently some feminist groups have demanded that mixed sports teams be put together with half the spaces reserved for men and half for women.

Why? Just why? WHY?

Can you imagine a cricket team where the top five are women. It would literally be 0/5 in one over.
Reply 3
Victimhood is the defining character of modern feminism.
I for one, think women are not delicate little flowers that need protecting.

Traditional feminism like being able to live happily and free without institutional such as marriage, reproductive freedom and equal pay is all good and would be nice to see it revived.

Now feminists launch censorious attacks on things that offend them from pop songs to lads mags.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending