Help with self teaching GCSE/A Level Ancient Greek?

Watch
deepless
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm hoping to study Classics at university, and would prefer to get onto a course with the language requirements but I'm not really sure how I should learn it/how the course is really structured. All I've been doing so far is learning grammar and the 300 something vocab words on the GCSE specification, is this enough? Is there anything else I should be doing to study it properly?
Lucilou101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You don't really need to learn it before hand. I've applied for Classics this year and all the courses I applied for allow you to start Ancient Greek without any previous knowledge of it
Lindissa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Although, there's no harm in having a head start if you enjoy it. I self-taught Greek for a few months and it was one if the hardest things I've ever done; now I have a teacher and it's so much easier.

If you're hoping to take the GCSE you'll obviously need to do plenty of unseens to practise your translation as well as rote-learning the grammar, and then there's the set texts which I imagine would be quite difficult to study by yourself as you'll have to be able to translate them and comment on their literary features.

If you just want to build up your Greek without getting a qualification, I would work through a good textbook (such as Taylor's Greek to GCSE) and learn the grammar and vocab from the book as you go along, without confining yourself to any specifications. This would probably be the easier option if you're teaching yourself.

But, as Lucilou said, no Classics courses require knowledge of Greek (or in most cases, Latin) so it may be better to just focus on getting the grades you need in your other subjects.
phaseshift
  • Study Helper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can I remind ALL users who post in this thread to be courteous and respectful to each other.

TSR does NOT condone the use of threats, whether made in jest or not and I will remove and card anyone who I catch making threatening remarks or bullying.

You have been warned.

On top of this, can all users please keep posts on-topic. This is a thread for Study Help - if you want to have an Oxbridge debate, create another thread in the appropriate forum.
deepless
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
omg how did this thread turn into a mess about jobs and elitism.

I just wanted to ask the best way to self teach myself unseen texts and translating the set texts?? And any tips for memorising the set vocab? lmao
Lucilou101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by deepless)
omg how did this thread turn into a mess about jobs and elitism.

I just wanted to ask the best way to self teach myself unseen texts and translating the set texts?? And any tips for memorising the set vocab? lmao
Turning this back to helpful discussion. In regards to vocab it's just going to be a case of splitting it up into shorter segments and learning each one building it up. Everyone's different so it'll depend on your style of learning - I like writing it and repeating it aloud, others like listening to them on recordings or just reading them
The books that were recommended 'Greek to GCSE' are very useful, because they bring each element in slowly - or maybe try going on a course like JACT; they're quite expensive but you can get bursaries
christudor
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I taught myself Classical Greek using 'Reading Greek' and John Taylor's 'Greek to GCSE'. I wouldn't worry about learning (independent) vocab lists: just work through these books as best you can and make sure to do all the exercises. It takes a while, but if you do an hour a day you can be pretty good in 3-4 months.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (1)
25%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (3)
75%

Watched Threads