Is this some kind of mental condition? Watch

It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just wanted to discuss what I believe might be some kind of compulsive disorder.

Firstly, I feel compelled to recite quotes from movies I like, always in the voice of the person whom the quote is from, when the opportunity arises. For example, every time anyone asks if I want anything from the shop, it's an instant reaction for me to say "Cornetto." (from Shaun of the Dead) - it could be ****ing freezing temperatures, and I'm now stuck with a ****ing Cornetto.
Also an example from today, I bumped into a friend and we were chatting. I was teasing her about something and she giggled and punched me lightly on the shoulder - I looked at her blankly and, in Arnie's said "You haff strucked Hercules". Don't think she's seen it, but she laughed anyway.

In other cases, if someone says something that resembles lyrics from a song, I'll instantly break into song.

I'm also fascinated by accents, and mimick them. For example, watching BBC earlier on this whole Ukraine/Russia situation, certain words would tickle me into repeating them out loud, much to the dismay of my mum. I also felt compelled to start doing an impression of Alexander the meerkat from the Compare the Market ads when a guy named Sergei made an appearance.

I can generally control these compulsions around people I don't really know. When I'm with people I'm comfortable with though and I'm relaxed, it becomes a lot less manageable. I've had it for a long time though - I remember a few years ago, I was with some friends and a couple of their friends, one of whom was a Geordie, which is one of my favourite accents He was chatting about something and I forgot myself and mimicked something he said in his accent. He stared at me and said "Don't take the piss out of us, man..." so I lied and said it was a form of Tourettes to diffuse the situation (my mates looked at me like, WTF you on about? but said nothing).

Does this sound like a genuine condition with a name, or am I just a complete ****ing nutter? Possibly a combination of the two :lol:
RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not an expert, but this doesn't sound like an actual mental health disorder, more of a habit or a random compulsion. Then again, if it's significantly affecting your life...
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This is really random and I may be well off the mark - but my partner does this and he has Asperger's Syndrome. Obviously there's no way to say you have anything just knowing one trait, but I just thought I'd mention it!
--yaboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh **** you're turning into a woman!!!
Kvothe the Arcane
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ditto what the first commenter said.
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
This is really random and I may be well off the mark - but my partner does this and he has Asperger's Syndrome. Obviously there's no way to say you have anything just knowing one trait, but I just thought I'd mention it!
No aspies I know (of) do this. Interesting :beard:.
Thanks for sharing
(Original post by --yaboy)
Oh **** you're turning into a woman!!!
Ok then...
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by keromedic)

Thanks for sharing

Ok then...
Yeah it might be just a "my boyfriend" thing rather than an "AS" thing, but just thought I'd mention it!
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Cheers for the suggestions guys. I was aware of asperger's but wasn't knowledgable... looked it up and pretty sure I don't have it.

I was sort of wondering if it's an OCD trait. I suffer with ME/CFS which often comes with mental health side effects, e.g. I experience pretty severe anxiety at times and occasional bouts of depression. The woman I see at the ME clinic suggested it seems like I may suffer from OCD (never thought to get it diagnosed though because it's not ruining my life) as it seems like I display a lot of the traits - like certain "rituals" like I have to pop a piece of fresh gum in my mouth before setting off in my car. Then other stuff like having a highly addictive personality, i.e. I've always had some sort of activity in my life that I become dedicated to and borderline obsessed with (the current one is bodybuilding - an ME/CFS sufferer doing bodybuilding, makes no sense :lol: I've sort of had to build up a tolerance to it). The dedication has always meant I've become very proficient at whatever it was at a fast rate, but there's always something develop that has forced me to give up the activity.
Anyway, I've never mentioned these habits that I wrote about in the OP to the people at the ME clinic, so I might just bring it up next time.
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
I can generally control these compulsions around people I don't really know. When I'm with people I'm comfortable with though and I'm relaxed, it becomes a lot less manageable. I've had it for a long time though - I remember a few years ago, I was with some friends and a couple of their friends, one of whom was a Geordie, which is one of my favourite accents He was chatting about something and I forgot myself and mimicked something he said in his accent. He stared at me and said "Don't take the piss out of us, man..." so I lied and said it was a form of Tourettes to diffuse the situation (my mates looked at me like, WTF you on about? but said nothing).

Does this sound like a genuine condition with a name, or am I just a complete ****ing nutter? Possibly a combination of the two :lol:
No, it's "Divvn't tek the piss owt of uz, man" :p: Sort of...

But, more seriously, why the need to label or medicalise? Just seems like eccentricities. Aspects of your character and personality. Even if it is a "compulsion", is it interfering with you life and day to day functioning?
Precious Illusions
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I actually do this a lot too...but like you, I only do it around people I'm close to! I always thought it was normal :lol: Me and my brother have a habit of talking to each other in Northern accents (from London so yeah...) and I often can't help but recite movie quotes and random lyrics for songs (even when it's not appropriate :lol:) But yeah I wouldn't say it's that weird tbh!
Eva.Gregoria
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do the lyrics from a song thing as well. Ever since primary school, my friends and family have avoided saying song lyrics around me now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reeeeyah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WoodyMKC)
Cheers for the suggestions guys. I was aware of asperger's but wasn't knowledgable... looked it up and pretty sure I don't have it.

I was sort of wondering if it's an OCD trait. I suffer with ME/CFS which often comes with mental health side effects, e.g. I experience pretty severe anxiety at times and occasional bouts of depression. The woman I see at the ME clinic suggested it seems like I may suffer from OCD (never thought to get it diagnosed though because it's not ruining my life) as it seems like I display a lot of the traits - like certain "rituals" like I have to pop a piece of fresh gum in my mouth before setting off in my car. Then other stuff like having a highly addictive personality, i.e. I've always had some sort of activity in my life that I become dedicated to and borderline obsessed with (the current one is bodybuilding - an ME/CFS sufferer doing bodybuilding, makes no sense :lol: I've sort of had to build up a tolerance to it). The dedication has always meant I've become very proficient at whatever it was at a fast rate, but there's always something develop that has forced me to give up the activity.
Anyway, I've never mentioned these habits that I wrote about in the OP to the people at the ME clinic, so I might just bring it up next time.
You could have OCD but it doesn't really sound like it to me but then obviously I'm not a psychologist.

Normally with OCD if you do not carry out these compulsions you will feel an extreme amount of anxiety. It doesn't sound like you have anxiety if you don't perform these actions?

Everyone has different quirks. Some people have issues with odd numbers or with stepping on cracks in the pavement but it doesn't mean they have full blown OCD, maybe you could just be 'quirky'?.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Precious Illusions)
I actually do this a lot too...but like you, I only do it around people I'm close to! I always thought it was normal :lol: Me and my brother have a habit of talking to each other in Northern accents (from London so yeah...) and I often can't help but recite movie quotes and random lyrics for songs (even when it's not appropriate :lol:) But yeah I wouldn't say it's that weird tbh!
:lol: I do a similar thing with my sister actually, we have a neighbour who has a really odd voice and talks really, really fast. So sometimes one of us will just fire off a sentence in his voice and the other will usually burst out laughing haha.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reeeeyah)
You could have OCD but it doesn't really sound like it to me but then obviously I'm not a psychologist.

Normally with OCD if you do not carry out these compulsions you will feel an extreme amount of anxiety. It doesn't sound like you have anxiety if you don't perform these actions?

Everyone has different quirks. Some people have issues with odd numbers or with stepping on cracks in the pavement but it doesn't mean they have full blown OCD, maybe you could just be 'quirky'?.
Really hard to say. Like the little compulsions in the OP, if I have to stop myself doing them it's generally no problem. On the other hand, stuff like people ****ing up a planned routine or not knowing where I'm going triggers anxiety pretty badly.
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
(Original post by keromedic)

Thanks for sharing

Ok then...
I'm pretty sure this can be an autism/Asperger's trait, actually. It's called echolalia. It's also associated with Tourette's, and various other mental and neurological disorders.
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Watch Key Phone)
I'm pretty sure this can be an autism/Asperger's trait, actually. It's called echolalia. It's also associated with Tourette's, and various other mental and neurological disorders.
I was thinking it could be. I've known to do similar things (not repeat words from movies, perhaps song lyrics, and repeating back/using phrases that friends use).

But assuming there is an absence of any other real symptoms, or any suggestion that the OP is struggling to function, I think it's best to accept this as a character trait rather than something to be particularly concerned by. Sometimes things like this are just something we do!
Watch Key Phone
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by River85)
I was thinking it could be. I've known to do similar things (not repeat words from movies, perhaps song lyrics, and repeating back/using phrases that friends use).

But assuming there is an absence of any other real symptoms, or any suggestion that the OP is struggling to function, I think it's best to accept this as a character trait rather than something to be particularly concerned by. Sometimes things like this are just something we do!
Agreed! I was just sharing some information, but it sounds like OP doesn't have many/any other symptoms to worry about. Plus echolalia is not a bad thing, it's just a way of communicating. It might seem unusual or rarely upset/offend people (like imitating someone's accent), but most of the time it's a harmless trait.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Watch Key Phone)
Yeah my partner is echolalic but I never really linked the two - because he tends to repeat things immediately after they're said (which I used to get quite embarrassed about in the early days when he'd mimic people inappropriately but I couldn't care less about it now) whereas obviously the movie thing can be years after he's seen it.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I tend to burst out into singing like Bruce Springsteen several times a day if that helps. In fact I can't actually sing in my regular speaking accent anymore, it always comes out in an American rock and roll style cadence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (47)
24.48%
No, but I have thought about it (52)
27.08%
No (93)
48.44%

Watched Threads