billydisco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-Austria.html

FORTY TWO immigrants found stuffed in a people carrier built for nine: 20 Romanian adults and 22 children are stopped by police in Austria
Look at all those high-calibre future-citizens who are going to spur-on the economic powerhouse that is Germany.....

Isn't the UK completely gutted we didn't get the 20 adults and 22 kids from the minibus arrive on our shore (well, we didn't get this batch anyway)?

Tissues are available upon request
tengentoppa
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How could you put your children through that? Disgusting, have some dignity for goodness sake.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
How could you put your children through that? Disgusting, have some dignity for goodness sake.
For them to have a better life...?
Fizzel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tengentoppa)
How could you put your children through a uncomfortable few hours so that they could have a better standard of living for the rest of their lives?

Interestingly enough you may remember the recent study which predicted the UK to become the largest economy in Europe by 2030, the European powerhouse. Its also notes population growth as being a key component of that.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fizzel)
How could you put your children through a uncomfortable few hours so that they could have a better standard of living for the rest of their lives?

Interestingly enough you may remember the recent study which predicted the UK to become the largest economy in Europe by 2030, the European powerhouse. Its also notes population growth as being a key component of that.
Yup. The ONS actually ran some projections in November and in the best case case scenario where we average a birth rate of 2.1, life expectancy is at their upper bound and net immigration is at their upper bound... we hit 100 million in 2087 as Germany and Japan see their populations collapse.
Fizzel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
we hit 100 million in 2087 as Germany and Japan see their populations collapse.
That is the key thing. If their populations collapse like predicted, they are going to have far bigger problems than we will. With Governments that like to buy today fund tomorrow, population falls are nightmare.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That is the key thing. If their populations collapse like predicted, they are going to have far bigger problems than we will. With Governments that like to buy today fund tomorrow, population falls are nightmare.
Aye. While we do have issues, the more net contributors we have, the more chance we have of getting a pension and retiring before 70. Couple this with our more competitive tax regime and things look rather rosy.

It does appear we have the English language to thank for this, the Anglosphere in general is all predicted to see population growth. Contrast this to China who's population will collapse by a third from today's level in the space of 60 years.

On the economic front it should also be noted that while we are currently 21st in GDP per capita according to the IMF, we could rise to 8th by 2050 according to Citibank.
Fizzel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aye. While we do have issues, the more net contributors we have, the more chance we have of getting a pension and retiring before 70. Couple this with our more competitive tax regime and things look rather rosy.
No way am I gambling on a government pension. Perhaps it will be a nice surprise but I'll be taking my retirement into my own hands. Max out that ISA.

It does appear we have the English language to thank for this, the Anglosphere in general is all predicted to see population growth. Contrast this to China who's population will collapse by a third from today's level in the space of 60 years.
China is such a mucked up country. Things like their gender imbalance, the pollution levels and environmental problems and the consequences for future health. Just a few examples of quite frankly horrible short term-ism from their government. They are going to have some massive problems to address socially with the problems that have been suppressed by rapid growth. Also economically with their domestic market, and how to fire that.

On the economic front it should also be noted that while we are currently 21st in GDP per capita according to the IMF, we could rise to 8th by 2050 according to Citibank.
It will be interesting to see how future growth happens. You think to realise the countries full potential we are going to have to move away from being so London-centric. We have cities like Bham, Manchester, Leeds which are all a decent size population wise but still aren't stand alone like other European second cities. The idea of seeing the level of investment in infrastructure required in somewhere like Leeds ahead of London by politicians is hard to imagine at present.
DAS4793
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yup. The ONS actually ran some projections in November and in the best case case scenario where we average a birth rate of 2.1, life expectancy is at their upper bound and net immigration is at their upper bound... we hit 100 million in 2087 as Germany and Japan see their populations collapse.
hmm with such a large population it seems like a good chance to take over the world.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No way am I gambling on a government pension. Perhaps it will be a nice surprise but I'll be taking my retirement into my own hands. Max out that ISA.

China is such a mucked up country. Things like their gender imbalance, the pollution levels and environmental problems and the consequences for future health. Just a few examples of quite frankly horrible short term-ism from their government. They are going to have some massive problems to address socially with the problems that have been suppressed by rapid growth. Also economically with their domestic market, and how to fire that.

It will be interesting to see how future growth happens. You think to realise the countries full potential we are going to have to move away from being so London-centric. We have cities like Bham, Manchester, Leeds which are all a decent size population wise but still aren't stand alone like other European second cities. The idea of seeing the level of investment in infrastructure required in somewhere like Leeds ahead of London by politicians is hard to imagine at present.
As will i but i'd like the fall back.

Indeed.

As was shown by the documentary tonight things are too spread out. We should sacrifice the likes of Hull and reinvest that money in a dual Leeds-Manchester hub.

(Original post by DAS4793)
hmm with such a large population it seems like a good chance to take over the world.
Sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (120)
64.86%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.08%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
14.05%

Watched Threads