Are all nighters effective and what should i have beside me Watch

nocoolusername
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am in year 12 revising for my AS levels and was thinking of pulling an all nighter so i can get back on track with all my subjects. Will the all nighters be effective and what foods and drinks should i have next to me. I do not like coffee or tea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
cawkii101
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
An all nighter has been useful for me in so many ways. I have just done an all nighter in fact and I will explain why..

I work at my university as a student warden, and an incident caused me not to be able to go to bed till 6 am in the morning. Which I thought yeah ok that will be fine, I'll just set my alarm for 12pm (more on timings later) and go to sleep. Well I ended waking up at 4pm, pissed off that I hadn't gotten up for my alarm in time. Found my iPhone wedged between my pillows, damn it...

Not only is all nighters good for getting work done, they can help you reset your body clock. Today, since I have stayed up all night, I will be going to bed at a reasonable time, say 10pm, and then when I wake up I will be able to realize how many hours my body needs comfortably for sleep. And then I can half that time to see how much sleep that I could sleep for, and wake up, and be, alright at working, not at my best, but not bloody sleepy either.

The things to avoid: Caffiene (Energy Drinks), Sugar (Sweets, or in Drinks), Carbohydrates (Pasta/Bread)
The first two will cause spikes in your sugar levels, you will get a rush from them, and then you will crash, which will really put you out and basically means you might as well go to bed. Things like pasta after having eaten, will cause you to feel sleepy when your trying to work.

The things to use: Fruit, Vegetables, Soups (no bread!), Meat
These things may not keep you full, or keep your sugar addiction levels low, but they will help keep you concentrated and with the right portions will not cause you to feel full, and then eventually tired.

Smoking - If you smoke you may find it wise to increase your smoking, as I did this last year, I smoked a lot more during the all nighter than I normally would during the day, however it was very useful.

Breathing - A common and short use method is deep breathing. That is breath in until you can't any more, hold that for as long as possible, then breathe out slowly instead of rushing all the air out. It increases your heart rate and will give you a short wake up call, useful for if you find yourself drifting off at points of boredom in between studies.

Exercise - Please do get outside and go for a walk at the least. No heavy lifting or any thing like that. But I love walks during the early hours of the morning. The cold crisp air can be a lovely wake up call.

cawkii101's secret: I use something that helps me stay awake, it is a fail safe. Meaning that when I take it, it causes me personally not being able to sleep... All I will say is we take it all the time in different forms both in good and bad. it has to be taken every day, and no one would ever accuse you of taking it in properly...
Lotus_Eater
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you can avoid it, emphatically don't. Often as not they give the illusion of accomplishment but after a while you become too tired to usefully take anything in. Revision isn't a question of quantity but quality: one hour of genuinely helpful and active thinking is worth ten hours of passive, bored, idling.

Being well rested will also help sustain concentration over several weeks - with AS Levels, there's no point peaking on the first day.
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Have a cup of tea... Or two. Not coffee as that will eff you up for the night and the morning after.

Have good music to keep you awake and happy and a window open in order to let some air in. The breeze will keep you up.

Maybe a few snacks. Proper snacks. Not any crap that will make you sluggish or tired.

All nighters are effective but on the one off. Don't do them everyday.

Source: spent my first and second shot at A Levels pulling all nighters. Spent this sodding BTEC doing all nighters to complete coursework

Posted from TSR Mobile
xMr_BrightSide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't do them, unless you absolutely have to. I got through my A levels just fine without the need, they just make you ridiculously tired for the next day and you barely learn anything anyway.

The only time I've done a semblance of an all-nighter was a few weeks ago (at uni) when I had an essay due in at 9am. Ended up finishing it at 4am.

Don't get into the habit of doing them, especially at AS level, there's really no need whatsoever.
tooosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You will have a rubbish all nighter without some kind of stimulant, and any stimulant at night will **** up your sleeping pattern.

Do it in the day. Sleep is pretty important for learning.
nocoolusername
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ok thanks for your help guys. I should only do all nighters if nessecary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tomsta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nocoolusername)
I am in year 12 revising for my AS levels and was thinking of pulling an all nighter so i can get back on track with all my subjects. Will the all nighters be effective and what foods and drinks should i have next to me. I do not like coffee or tea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It depends on the person, all nighters for me don't work, but if you inisit on doing an allnighter you'll need food which can give you energy, so things like relentless, lucizade etc. and food you can stomanch which also give you energy, junk food doens't always work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (147)
17.52%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (74)
8.82%
No I am happy with my course choice (497)
59.24%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.42%

Watched Threads