The Student Room Group

Was put "on hold" by Manchester in the MBBS course. Any advices?

Hey guys! My friend just received an email stating that she was put on hold by the university. Is any advices on what action should be taken? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by joshyeah
Hey guys! My friend just received an email stating that she was put on hold by the university. Is any advices on what action should be taken? Thanks!

Make sure they get top grades on results day, that's about all that can be done as far as I know

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was put on hold by Manchester in January and received my offer this month! Basically, they score your interview and then set a line somewhere to get an offer. The problem is that they don't know where that line is until they finish interviewing. So they might know that you'll need to score between 60–65/100 to get an offer, and your friend might have scored 61. So they have to wait until they definitely know where that line is before they give her an offer.

If they've finished interviewing then that probably means that they'll give her an offer if someone doesn't accept theirs. Did the email say anything about when they'd get back to her?
Reply 3
Original post by em.d_4
Make sure they get top grades on results day, that's about all that can be done as far as I know

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, she got her results in Jan. And it was excellent :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by DiabeticPanda
I was put on hold by Manchester in January and received my offer this month! Basically, they score your interview and then set a line somewhere to get an offer. The problem is that they don't know where that line is until they finish interviewing. So they might know that you'll need to score between 60–65/100 to get an offer, and your friend might have scored 61. So they have to wait until they definitely know where that line is before they give her an offer.

If they've finished interviewing then that probably means that they'll give her an offer if someone doesn't accept theirs. Did the email say anything about when they'd get back to her?

Congratulations on getting the offer!

this is part of the email :

After interview, we decide to ‘Offer’, ‘Hold’ or ‘Reject’ applicants. This allows us to give a quick answer to most of our aspiring students. You will understand that for logistic reasons we do need to have a ‘Hold’ category and we have currently placed you in this group of applicants.

We expect to be able to complete our analysis of all the interviews by the 31st March. I will write to you immediately after this date with the decision on your application.

I do appreciate your concern about the delay in receiving a firm answer from Manchester but hope that you will understand why it will not be possible to give you a firm decision at the moment.
Original post by joshyeah
Congratulations on getting the offer!

this is part of the email :

After interview, we decide to ‘Offer’, ‘Hold’ or ‘Reject’ applicants. This allows us to give a quick answer to most of our aspiring students. You will understand that for logistic reasons we do need to have a ‘Hold’ category and we have currently placed you in this group of applicants.

We expect to be able to complete our analysis of all the interviews by the 31st March. I will write to you immediately after this date with the decision on your application.

I do appreciate your concern about the delay in receiving a firm answer from Manchester but hope that you will understand why it will not be possible to give you a firm decision at the moment.

Thank you!

I pretty much got the same email. Your friend is borderline so they'll have to wait until they definitely know where the line is—hopefully it'll work out in her favour. I did some research on the likelihood of getting an offer after being put on hold—and although I didn't find anything official, the general consensus seems to be 50/50.

Good luck to her!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending