The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Psychology, Education and Counselling.

Just wondering if anyone is doing this in 2014? Considering putting it as my firm at the minute - but humming and hawing! xx
Reply 1
I'm staring that in September!! :smile:
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
I've applied for this! It sounds really good with lots of options for careers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yeah i was pretty luck to find it as I just couldn't decide between the three! It's good to know when finishing it I have a variety of. choices on what to do next :smile:
Yeah me too so have you put it as your firm?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Indecisivegal
Yeah me too so have you put it as your firm?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeaaah I have so defo doing it! Was scared no one else would be because it's so random haha! You?
That's what i thought was a bit worried at first that I wouldn't find anyone lol😖 and I've put it as my first. Are you living in sheff or commuting

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Indecisivegal
That's what i thought was a bit worried at first that I wouldn't find anyone lol😖 and I've put it as my first. Are you living in sheff or commuting

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm living over in Sheffield as I'm from West Yorkshire! So that's next on my list to choose accommodation but Im finding it so hard choose and decide on just two!😫 you?
Haha Ohright don't worry have you been to see the accommodation yet? and I actually live in sheffield. I originally wanted to go to a uni outta sheff but it liked this course and my work mate actually is on this course and she loves it. I'm mostly likely to stay at home as it's cheaper and I'm so indecisive so picking accommodation would b torture aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi everyone,

I'll try this as a second attempt seeing as though my original didn't post... I'm going into my second year of the Education with Psychology and Counselling degree in September. I'm also currently a student rep for the course. If you have any questions, I'd love to try and answer them; it doesn't seem like two minutes ago since I was in your position last year! I'll be useless with accommodation queries though as I commute.

I'd recommend you download the 'SHUgo' app as it contains maps of both campuses and other features you may well use when you begin the course. Also, when you get your induction timetable (a week of activities etc before the lessons commence) please make sure you attend even though it's Freshers! The sessions will give your information about the course, the uni and let you meet the other students on the course and in your seminar 'group'.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to the thread or send me a message! :smile:

All the best for September,

Becca :smile:
Hi

I wanted to know if you get to choose your placement?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hi!

Placement is definitely an exciting but nerve-wracking part of the course, even if you've worked in education before. I personally loved my placement! Please note that courses can change year to year but this is what happened to us last year regarding placement, whether this changes for new first years in September, who knows!

Basically, you get given a form (you may have received it now?) for your placement preference. You can write here whether you would like to be placed in a primary, secondary, PRU etc if you do have a preference, for example you may want primary experience if you're thinking of completing a primary PGCE after you've completed the 3 year undergraduate degree. You will also state whether you have access to a car, or have purchased/intend to purchase the South Yorkshire TravelMaster card, which you should be given more information about when the time comes. Based on this, the placement team will allocate you a school (or other institution) and we found out in January which was 2/3 weeks before we were due to go on placement. All placements (unless in rare circumstances) are in the South Yorkshire region so Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham, Sheffield, Chesterfield etc. From what I gather they aren't very flexible with appeals and don't like 'I can't travel there', 'I don't like the area', 'I don't want to drive on the motorway' as reasons to appeal and they make this clear! If your induction week is like ours was last year, you will probably have an hour long presentation from the placement team stating who they are, what to expect from placement, length, period you will be going etc. Our placement was mid February to the beginning of May. 1 block week where we were in Monday-Friday and then Thursday and Friday for the next 7 weeks. You won't have a 'set' time to be in placement; you will follow the school day and will probably be expected to turn up early and leave a little later than the students; I left 45 minutes after the students 'left' to take part in any extra-curricular activities they needed help with.

You do have an option to arrange your own placement, however, they have rules I guess. You can't organise your placement within the South Yorkshire region if you are arranging your own. You cannot claim travel expenses back as far as I'm aware as they expect you to be able to afford the cost if you are arranging it and you can't organise a placement where you went to school, have previously worked or have family from what I can understand. You also have to meet a deadline to arrange your own placement as it needs to be investigated by the team to make sure it is suitable.

I'd say 95% of the students on our course had their placements arranged for them and it was a very positive experience. I really enjoyed mine! Definitely hard work alongside your essays/exam revision but also an experience worth having. The placement has an essay attached to it, if the course doesn't change slightly. We had to write a 4,000 word reflective journal on our experience and how all the modules we have studied link into real life, professional practice.

Hope this helps!

Becca :smile:

Quick Reply