The Student Room Group

Is studying abroad realistic for someone not from a wealthy family?

Title says it all really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CameronCostigan

I can't see why it isn't possible. If you got scholarships and grants from the universities you've applied to, then it should work out.

If you really want to study abroad, but you don't have the funds or grades to do it, then I would suggest applying to a local university and study abroad through an exchange program.
Original post by zero_Gravity91
I can't see why it isn't possible. If you got scholarships and grants from the universities you've applied to, then it should work out.

If you really want to study abroad, but you don't have the funds or grades to do it, then I would suggest applying to a local university and study abroad through an exchange program.

Finally a response!

Yeah I have the grades and such but funds worry me. I know most scholarships and grants I could apply for but they'd cover only around half the cost, and I know I'd be able to work and cover some costs myself and from family but it could still leave some left over that is needed.

I was looking at loans, I heard I could get one and get one easier based on the fact that I have a US cosigner. Would it be a good idea to go down that route if I plan to stay in the US long term?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally a response!

Yeah I have the grades and such but funds worry me. I know most scholarships and grants I could apply for but they'd cover only around half the cost, and I know I'd be able to work and cover some costs myself and from family but it could still leave some left over that is needed.

I was looking at loans, I heard I could get one and get one easier based on the fact that I have a US cosigner. Would it be a good idea to go down that route if I plan to stay in the US long term?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are considering to do that, note that your guarantor will be liable for your loans and thus you will have difficulty finding someone that will be willing to sign it with you, provided that they know you well enough and are trusting you to pay it back.

I wouldn't suggest doing it, considering that loans from private firms tend to have high interest rates, so you will be taking a huge risk for doing that. It's up to you, but I would advise against it. Instead, I would suggest finding other ways of getting a loan of credit, perhaps from a major US bank and if possible, from your local bank.
I have a place to study at McGill as an exchange student from Leeds University but funds will still be ridiculously tight. Student Finance means that whilst I still get my loans, they go in on the Leeds date which is a month later than my McGill start date. They do have exceptions for this (usually those studying at Australlian Universities etc as they have start dates even before McGill) but I just miss the date by about a week. I am glad that I get so much support as an exchange student, i.e still receiving my loan and travel grants, but all of this will have to be initially covered by me and then reimbursed, including flights, health insurance, visas and a month's living expenses. Leeds have also taken the step this year to take away my low-income bursary that I get from them, totalling £3,000.

So I think, as someone from a low income family who has had to/is still having to consider giving up a place at a top University which I earned through securing good first year grades (and beating many others academically), it is very difficult to study abroad even on an exchange program.
Reply 5
Pretty sure they allow you to take student loan as long as you're in an EU country. EU students get loans here so I don't see why we couldn't in their countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Jebedee
Pretty sure they allow you to take student loan as long as you're in an EU country. EU students get loans here so I don't see why we couldn't in their countries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A Brit in the EU would not pay international fees so the funding issue won't exist in the first place.

In the case of this person it wouldn't apply as McGill is in Canada not in the EU. Only Quebec and France have an agreement so they can study in both countries with no international fee rate.

Original post by xoJessicaAnn
I have a place to study at McGill as an exchange student from Leeds University but funds will still be ridiculously tight. Student Finance means that whilst I still get my loans, they go in on the Leeds date which is a month later than my McGill start date. They do have exceptions for this (usually those studying at Australlian Universities etc as they have start dates even before McGill) but I just miss the date by about a week. I am glad that I get so much support as an exchange student, i.e still receiving my loan and travel grants, but all of this will have to be initially covered by me and then reimbursed, including flights, health insurance, visas and a month's living expenses. Leeds have also taken the step this year to take away my low-income bursary that I get from them, totalling £3,000.

So I think, as someone from a low income family who has had to/is still having to consider giving up a place at a top University which I earned through securing good first year grades (and beating many others academically), it is very difficult to study abroad even on an exchange program.
Reply 7
Sadly it seems so :frown: I really want to study in the USA but my family aren't wealthy. I think I'm gonna have to do a degree with an interlaced year abroad instead.
l

Different countries have different schemes. Ik someone meant to be going to iceland and was gonna be paid completely to go x
I could be worth to attend different uni and then go on exchange. I am currently looking into universities in Netherlands, and they say that in certain exchange programmmes you can study abroad for year/semester without tuition fees. For example at Australian uni. So that could be worth looking into!
Unfortunately, i don't believe that it is possible unless you find some foundation which will fund your study. I looked into US universities before, and even though i come from higher middle class, we would be able to afford it...
Edit: wouldn't be able to afford it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending