Situation Ethics Watch

Cait123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello! I'm struggling with one of my RS units, where I have to apply ethical systems to medical issues, particularly confused with the application of Situation Ethics in terms of some medical issues, eg. The use of embryos, human experimentation, life support.

If anyone had any ideas to how situation ethics could be applied to some medical issues would help massively!!
Thank you so much
TSR Learn Together
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
NatashaG
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well Joseph Fletcher would say something is moral as long as it's the 'loving thing to do' because he followed the principle of agape love...he said we should use our reason to decide whether or not we are increasing the love...if we are increasing the love then it's perfectly morally justifiable.

So take for example experimenting on human embryos...now lets say that these embryos would have been otherwise discarded, they were never going to develop into a human fetus because they are 'left-over' embryos from IVF treatment...then of course it would be the loving thing to use these embryos for research because they may create a breakthrough in medical knowledge which may save somebody's life and thus increase the love.

Human experimentation on the other hand, in certain situations may decrease the love, that is if the person is not voluntarily offering their body for research, however I should think that if the human participant freely offered their body for research purposes after being given a full brief on what they where letting themselves in for then yes I think that Joseph Fletcher would say the experiment would increase the love because it could lead to a cure which would obviously increase the love.

And the life support machine...well if you were pulling the plug on a life support machine because you wanted to end suffering, I guess that would be the loving thing to do, so yes this is morally justifiable.

...Hope this helped...I personally dislike situation ethics and it appears to me to be a bit of a non-theory...Fletcher just chops other theories up and mushes them together and then claims he has this new 'super-practical awesome theory' I'm sorry but no...'the loving thing to do' is such a loose term, anybody could argue that they are just 'increasing the love man'
AidenLloydJepsen
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Situation Ethics is just doing the most loving thing in a situation. So, if a Christian feels getting an abortion is the most loving thing to do, albeit wrong among many Christians, she may decide to have one.
lga
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cait123)
Hello! I'm struggling with one of my RS units, where I have to apply ethical systems to medical issues, particularly confused with the application of Situation Ethics in terms of some medical issues, eg. The use of embryos, human experimentation, life support.

If anyone had any ideas to how situation ethics could be applied to some medical issues would help massively!!
Thank you so much
situation ethics is linked to the 'most loving thing to do'
so when making a decision love should be the only consideration, and be the aim of the action. christians would say following the bibles teachings would result in the most loving action which again comes back around to jesus' golden rule of 'love thy neighbour as you would love yourself'

in terms of medical issues, situation ethics may tell you that allowing a teenage girl an abortion is the most loving thing to do as she cant support the child when it would be born

another example is turning off life support may be the most loving thing to do, even though it results in death as the person would be out of pain

i hope this helps, reply if you have any more questions or need any other examples
vanessaodris
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
on a similar line of questioning how would a situation ethics follower approach the subject of 'removing' someone's freewill if they think it will prevent them harming themselves ie. euthanasia?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (26)
11.06%
Yes - a food allergy (24)
10.21%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (7)
2.98%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (8)
3.4%
No (170)
72.34%

Watched Threads