The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE tips?

Need some writing tips ect.. To help me get a grade A or B at gcse :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by maddiegarcia

Write what just comes into your head, at leat thats what I do. Original ideas are worth loads, especially in English Lit as people just copy analysis of the books of the internet...so everybody ends up writing much the same thing...
Reply 2

What exam are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Try to think about what methods the author uses and what effect they have on the message of the text. Eg if they use metaphors what does that convey? and so on
Reply 4
Original post by BCMFM16
What exam are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean which tier am I doing? If so, I'm doing higher english lit gcse :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JackBlack
Try to think about what methods the author uses and what effect they have on the message of the text. Eg if they use metaphors what does that convey? and so on

Thankyou!! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by voxdock
Write what just comes into your head, at leat thats what I do. Original ideas are worth loads, especially in English Lit as people just copy analysis of the books of the internet...so everybody ends up writing much the same thing...

Thankyou :smile:
bump
Reply 8
Do you mean which tier am I doing? If so, I'm doing higher english lit gcse :smile:

Sorry I mean what exam board. I do AQA and I think the exams are really hard since not many people last year got the top grade in my school even though I go to a prestigious school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by BCMFM16
Sorry I mean what exam board. I do AQA and I think the exams are really hard since not many people last year got the top grade in my school even though I go to a prestigious school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry aha. Yes, I'm also doing AQA :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
idk but i can help with the main body of the essay. like have you used PEA? or PEE.
but its basically your Point Evidence and Analysis/Evaluation.
this means that you make a
- topic sentence to state your point
- then add in evidence to support that point
- after, go in depth by adding a lot of analysis to the extract that you picked out using various techniques used like metaphors, similies, alliteration etc. make sure you link back to the question if necessary
Reply 11
Original post by gwynade
idk but i can help with the main body of the essay. like have you used PEA? or PEE.
but its basically your Point Evidence and Analysis/Evaluation.
this means that you make a
- topic sentence to state your point
- then add in evidence to support that point
- after, go in depth by adding a lot of analysis to the extract that you picked out using various techniques used like metaphors, similies, alliteration etc. make sure you link back to the question if necessary

This is a good point and if the OP isnt already doing this I suggest that they start. However I sometimes find that sticking strictly to PEA or PQA or whatever can restrict the natural flow of your writing. While what you're writing will still make perfect grammatical and literal sense, the prose may not flow as nicely and this may end up giving the examiner a lower overall impression of your writing quality-even if what you're saying makes perfect sense.
Reply 12
Original post by voxdock
This is a good point and if the OP isnt already doing this I suggest that they start. However I sometimes find that sticking strictly to PEA or PQA or whatever can restrict the natural flow of your writing. While what you're writing will still make perfect grammatical and literal sense, the prose may not flow as nicely and this may end up giving the examiner a lower overall impression of your writing quality-even if what you're saying makes perfect sense.

AHH YES! I remember my teacher telling me this. I knew i was missing something, but yup try to make your paragraphs flow instead of have a solid structure that could bore the examiner, keeping in mind that they probably have to mark thousands of papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest