The Student Room Group

push pull legs routine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lay-Z
The two pulling exercises were the only thing I could find for shoulders.. I'll change the upright row for shoulder press thanks, but what push movements can you use for traps?

Shrugs don't work your shoulders
Reply 21
Original post by illusionz
lol ICF takes me 2 hours minimum with the required rests.

Serious? Hour and a half I can understand. If I was doing that much high intensity work with the 5x5s I'd speed through the accessory work.
Original post by tooosh
Serious? Hour and a half I can understand. If I was doing that much high intensity work with the 5x5s I'd speed through the accessory work.

If I take a 3-5min rest between working sets of 5x5, once you include warmups and changing plates etc each 5x5 exercise can take up to 25-30 minutes. I guess I'm going heavier and hence taking the max allowed rest on the isolations too.

I have the time do kill at the gym so may as well. I tend to go from like 8-10pm when I've nothing better to be doing anyway. If I have evening plans then I'll get up early and go in the morning.
Reply 23
Original post by illusionz
If I take a 3-5min rest between working sets of 5x5, once you include warmups and changing plates etc each 5x5 exercise can take up to 25-30 minutes. I guess I'm going heavier and hence taking the max allowed rest on the isolations too.

I have the time do kill at the gym so may as well. I tend to go from like 8-10pm when I've nothing better to be doing anyway. If I have evening plans then I'll get up early and go in the morning.

I'm hoping on tuesdays thursday and saturdays at 1-3am it should be empty enough, going to use trial and error for the starting weights
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Squat 5x5 xlb 25kg
Bench press 5x5 xlb 30kg
Bent over row 5x5 xlb 30kg
Barbell shrug 3x8 xlb 30kg
Skullcrushers 3x8 xlb 15kg
Barbell curls 3x8 xlb 20kg
Cable pull through 2x10 xlb
Kneeling Cable Crunches 3x20 xlb

Felt squats in lower back not legs could only squat 25kg normally leg press 80kg

Bench press didn't feel on chest could only bench 30kg normally chest press 55kg

Bent over row 30kg felt this good amount in lower back, deadlifted weight up and then rowed for 5 reps

Barbell shrug 30kg did from the back felt traps decent amount

Skullcrushers 15kg normally 45kg on tricep extension machine my arms were shaking all over the place extremely vascular after these

Did barbell curls instead of chins, Can only do like 4 chins in a row and I recently had surgery which limits how high I can lift arms overhead. Barbell curls went well 20kg.

Cable pullthrough didn't feel it did much for me

Kneeling Cable crunches don't think I was doing it right as it didn't engage abs much

The middle 4 excersises were the best for me, squat and bench press I didn't feel in the right areas and I don't like/cant isolate on cables

I think the rows worked so well because I used back a lot in squat beforehand. There's no way I can go up 5 pounds on squat by Saturday as legs didn't feel like they'd been touched. I'll give it a go anyway and try to perfect my form. For some reason on squats using the light bar and having the weights 12.5kg distributed on each side was a lot better than a 20 pound bar alone.
Ngl kind of demoralizing to lift such small amounts

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tooosh
Google it. ICF 5x5

Careful with that 3 exercises mentality. SS and SL have you adding weight every session and this means long rest times after a few weeks. You shouldn't really be spending more than 1hr on any program. Some hardcore people can manage 1.5-2hours doing only resistance exercises but usually with some "help" and stims.

2 hours in the gym typically for me. But I tend to go twice a week so I need time to fit everything. I don't pay attention to the time too much unless it's closing

Sent from my HTC One
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest