Michele96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm currently doing A-levels and i'm interested in taking psychology at a university but is there anyone who has taken the subject? I am taking 3 A levels (maths english physics) and im doing well in them but is that enough to be considered for a psychology course?
What is actually studied in the course, i know most universitys give an overview but i'd like the view of a university student if possible. thanks
o-glez
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
A lot of people don't do psychology at A-level before studying at degree, so don't let that put you off.

Its is generally very diverse! You can study child psychology, neuroscience , criminal psychology, cognitive and more. Stats and research methods underpins everything though.

I personally love the language learning modules and wish to study that at post graduate level.
tígertíger
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Psychology is a research based subject so that might already give you an idea of what to expect. Over the last three years I've studied child development, sleep, language, memory, statistics, cognitive neuroscience, fantasy neuroscience, and social psychology to name a few...but I'm also a clinical student, so alongside that I've had modules including things like personality disorders, approaches to treatment and therapy, and counselling. I've read thousands of journal articles, conducted a few of my own studies (usually in groups until my third year), and written a number of research reports. Psychology is essentially a subject that studies the mind, brain, and behaviour of humans, often using scientific methods - as o-glez mentioned, stats underpins everything, but I doubt you'll have a problem with that if you're doing well with your maths and physics A Levels!
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I enjoyed it, but I honestly think I would have struggled without the background I got at A Level. There are a lot of basics that you learn, so maybe have a read through an A Level text book to see if it interests you?

Courses are so different from uni to uni, but make sure whichever you take is BPS Accredited, as you'll struggle to find work if it's not (assuming you want work in the field of course, if you don't then I guess it doesn't really matter).

I did find it incredibly interesting, but I don't think I'd want to do a degree when I'd never studied the subject before, unless it was something that lead to a specific job.. it seems a bit risky, so do your research!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (12)
11.11%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (71)
65.74%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (14)
12.96%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (9)
8.33%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (2)
1.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed