Which university / course best for investment banking? Desperate need for help!

Watch
bshrestha
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have offers from LSE, UCl and Nottingham to do philosophy and Economics and offer from Warwick to do PPE. To be completely honest, I only applied for PPE/ PE because I thought it would get me into these top unis (which it did) rather than apply for straight Economics which I know is a lot more competitive. However, my GCSES are 9 A* 3 A and my a level subjects are Economics, maths, further maths and english literature. If I get 3/4 A*s in my a levels (exams are in a may) do you think I should convince the unis to let me switch to Economics or take a gap year and re apply. I think Nottingham / UCL might let me switch but LSE/ Warwick would probably not, especially LSE. I really want to get into Investment banking and people tell me that the "philosophy" part of my degree is useless. Please give me advice on this. Also, I am planning to firm LSE and insurance UCL. Do you think this is a good choice? Also, what are my job prospects like? I know it depends on other things like work experience etc but this is my future so I want to be sure that I am making the right decision.

Any advice/ opinions are much appreciated.
Tokyoround
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your degree doesn't matter, your university does. Don't bother switching, just do the one that you will get a first in.
tazza ma razza
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Course wise

PPE at warwick - that is like insane!!! It is as good as economics, if not better (i would apply for it if i could get the grades!)

eg, PPE at oxford is better than E+M at oxford

I am applying for economics at LSE, UCL, Warwick Bristol and Nottingham.

Job prsopects wise

Any of LSE as it is based in london; which is where you will work after you get your degree
MAINE.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bshrestha)
I have offers from LSE, UCl and Nottingham to do philosophy and Economics and offer from Warwick to do PPE. To be completely honest, I only applied for PPE/ PE because I thought it would get me into these top unis (which it did) rather than apply for straight Economics which I know is a lot more competitive. However, my GCSES are 9 A* 3 A and my a level subjects are Economics, maths, further maths and english literature. If I get 3/4 A*s in my a levels (exams are in a may) do you think I should convince the unis to let me switch to Economics or take a gap year and re apply. I think Nottingham / UCL might let me switch but LSE/ Warwick would probably not, especially LSE. I really want to get into Investment banking and people tell me that the "philosophy" part of my degree is useless. Please give me advice on this. Also, I am planning to firm LSE and insurance UCL. Do you think this is a good choice? Also, what are my job prospects like? I know it depends on other things like work experience etc but this is my future so I want to be sure that I am making the right decision.

Any advice/ opinions are much appreciated.
The economics part of your degree will probably be useless too.

Depends what role you go in to, but I work in IBD and I'd gauge I only use max. 5% of the Econ I learned at uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (643)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (813)
42.34%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.69%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.48%

Watched Threads