TransistorRevolt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I've gotten to that point in my life where I need to figure out what I actually want to do with it. My main two career interests right now are medicine and computer science. I just cannot decide between the two and am going back and forth on them.

So here are the reasons why I want to pursue each subject:

Medicine:

• Fulfilling job.
  • Job security.
  • Interesting to me.
  • I am fully reading to commit 10+ years of my life to medical education. (I.E, I am dedicated)

Computer Science:

• Good pay.
  • Interesting to me.
  • I have a natural knack for technology.

Now here are the reasons that I am hesitant to pursue a career in said subjects:

Medicine:

• I am scared of not getting in medical school.
  • I am scared of not being able to get through medical school, i.e, it being too difficult for me. (I feel like this despite being an A grade student across all three sciences)
  • Everybody in my life (teachers, parents, teachers) always comment about my natural knack for technology and how great I would be working in I.T. I am scared to let them down.

Computer Science:

• I fear that I would become bored.
  • I am worried about a lack of fulfillment in my job, I want to feel like I am doing something important.
  • I can't picture myself spending my life working in an office writing code etc.

So here's my dilemma, should I try and get into medicine with the knowledge that I might not make it or should I stick to computer science? (Which in all honesty is the safer route for me)

Thanks for any advice.

Note: I have posted this in the medicine section of TSR too.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How old are you?
Sayonara
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You haven't given enough information for me to give specific and relevant advice, but I will make a guess.

Take the Maths and Further Maths A-levels.

In my opinion, you should take CS if you get at least A*A from those two A-levels as the course is very mathematical.

For medicene, if you can get A* in biology and chemistry, then medicene may be for you, but medicene is even more competitive.

"I can't picture myself spending my life working in an office writing code etc.". - Why? Writing code is fun. When you finish writing a program, you feel proud of it and that little program is like your own little child. It is something logically stimulating to your brain. Writing each program is similar or the same as solving a mathematical puzzle.
It isn't ambiguous.
MartinMorrison
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Computer Science and medicine are two really different fields. I am surprised you are still interested in both. In medicine, you will always need to work with people, touch them, get really physical etc. In CS your hands will always be 'clean' and you could go a path that has minimal human interaction. The kind of people that are truly interested in one of these subjects usually wouldn't be a good fit for the other - so are you sure you have a good idea of what both entail?

ie Medicine - surgery? blood? etc? are you actually comfortable with all of that? If you truly are, then that takes a lot of passion, and you should do medicine. Especially if for you doing medicine is less 'safe'. Someone once told me that the only things in life that are worth doing are the things that make you nervous. I have found that this is true.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads