Which is the most influential video game in the last 30 years?

Watch this thread
Arkasia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
This is some research for my EPQ, but which video game do you think is the most influential in the last 30/40 years? Could you also explain why, thanks. By influential I mean socially, economically, legally etc, so something like Tetris, GTA, Mario or Pokemon would be up there.
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
It surely has to be Pac-Man.

It re-vamped the entire gaming industry. Brought video gaming into the mainstream, opened it up to entire new audiences, defined an entirely new genre, spawned a massive pop culture craze, and earned its creators a metric ****-ton of money to boot. No game has ever really come close to the kind of revolution that Pac-Man brought, and quite possibly never will.
zed963
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
GTA in terms of graphics and realism.
ParetoOptimum
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by zed963)
Realism?!
zed963
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ParetoOptimum)
Realism?!
I meant realism in terms of how real the game looks like. Not the controversies or its society etc.
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by zed963)
Strange choice, i'm not sure anything about the GTA franchise was groundbreaking.

Anyway my choice would be something like Pokemon for bringing the handheld games console to the masses. Never has a single franchise spun off so many different products, tv series, mechandise etc. and without it handheld consoles would never have existed, maybe not even the iPhone/smartphone.
PGtips
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of time, it was quite a revolution for 3D open world action games. Nintendo taught the gaming industry how to integrate many different features into one flowing game.
Dez
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by james1211)
Strange choice, i'm not sure anything about the GTA franchise was groundbreaking.

Anyway my choice would be something like Pokemon for bringing the handheld games console to the masses. Never has a single franchise spun off so many different products, tv series, mechandise etc. and without it handheld consoles would never have existed, maybe not even the iPhone/smartphone.
It was Tetris that sold Game Boys, Pokémon just kept things ticking over. Of course in terms of cultural spread Pokémon's managed far, far more than Tetris did, and certainly isn't showing any signs of stopping. Although I'm pretty sure the Mario series is bigger in terms of products. :holmes:
Student-95
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Did you watch "Charlie Brooker: Videogames Changed the World"?

It was on channel 4 back in November and it pretty much addressed this but they looked at 25 influential games as opposed to 1. The games they looked at are listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Vid...nged_the_World and I expect you'll be able to find the program online somewhere. Probably worth watching.
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
It was Tetris that sold Game Boys, Pokémon just kept things ticking over. Of course in terms of cultural spread Pokémon's managed far, far more than Tetris did, and certainly isn't showing any signs of stopping. Although I'm pretty sure the Mario series is bigger in terms of products. :holmes:
Tetris alone would not have sustained the handheld market for any length of time.

Mario doesn't have quite the mass media reach that Pokemon does, in terms of products maybe it's bigger but if you ask any random person in the street what Mario is, most of them will tell you the answer. If you ask any random person in the street what Pokemon is, i'd bet not a single person would not know.
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Student-95)
Did you watch "Charlie Brooker: Videogames Changed the World"?

It was on channel 4 back in November and it pretty much addressed this but they looked at 25 influential games as opposed to 1. The games they looked at are listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Vid...nged_the_World and I expect you'll be able to find the program online somewhere. Probably worth watching.
It's funny how I disagree with virtually all those games. They're probably all very memorable to gamers, but outside the gaming community most people won't even have heard of half of them.
-TheSpecialOne-
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Mario I suppose, seeing as it kinda changed gaming world in a sense. Though one could say the Call of Duty series. It is really the most popular, best-selling, and best known video game in the last 30 years, and its sales have trumped movie releases. So either one I'd say
Clip
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Wolfenstein 3D, it led to the Doom Engine, which led to all FPS as we know it.

Apart from anything else, it was also released free. It also worked with the very rudimentary Hercules Graphics Cards that many PCs had back then.
username1221160
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
I think Carmageddon trumps GTA in terms of influence because the 3D GTA seemed to borrow so heavily from it. Although I may be biased as I thought it was a far better game than the original top down GTA games that were out at the same time. It also deserves bonus points because some elements were up in arms about the violence of the game.

I would throw in the names of Civilisation, Football Manager and Doom as very influential games from the point of view of a PC gamer. I'm tempted to mention Dune II because it was the forerunner of Command and Conquer and Warcraft, but the real time strategy genre seems to have died a quiet death.
Student-95
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
It's funny how I disagree with virtually all those games. They're probably all very memorable to gamers, but outside the gaming community most people won't even have heard of half of them.
Aside from controversies, games don't tend to be influential outside of the gaming community.
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Student-95)
Aside from controversies, games don't tend to be influential outside of the gaming community.
That's why i listed one of the ones that was, Pokemon.
username1221160
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Forgot to mention Elite.
Dez
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Tetris alone would not have sustained the handheld market for any length of time.

Mario doesn't have quite the mass media reach that Pokemon does, in terms of products maybe it's bigger but if you ask any random person in the street what Mario is, most of them will tell you the answer. If you ask any random person in the street what Pokemon is, i'd bet not a single person would not know.
True perhaps, but it's Tetris that got the handhelds into every kid's pocket. Pokémon would never have been so successful were it not for that humongous head-start, I reckon. And despite how simplistic it is, it's worth noting that Tetris still sells by the bucketload.

Not that I'm downplaying the 'mons at all, you understand. Last I checked the world still had somewhat of a lacking of sixteen different Tetris feature films. :p:
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dez)
True perhaps, but it's Tetris that got the handhelds into every kid's pocket. Pokémon would never have been so successful were it not for that humongous head-start, I reckon. And despite how simplistic it is, it's worth noting that Tetris still sells by the bucketload.

Not that I'm downplaying the 'mons at all, you understand. Last I checked the world still had somewhat of a lacking of sixteen different Tetris feature films. :p:
That's kinda what i'm getting at

We're both right in respects anyway since "influential" could mean anything really.
miser
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Flappy Bird.

Spoiler:
Show
:troll:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads