The Student Room Group

Getting a B at GCSE....

i'm not that keen of a reader, and quite frankly not fussed at all about my lit grade, now i won't say much of what i really think about it as i'm sure you here enjoy it.

i'd be happy with a B as a C looks a bit "meh".

so how much work does it take to get a B? i'm doing the woman in black and to kill a mockingbird (the latter being the exploring cultures book).

i thought of simply doing all my revision for it the night before? would 3/4 hrs be sufficient? if not, what would i need to do? any advice at all would be much appreciated, thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Oh, you're doing GCSE AQA! I tutored someone with those two texts! I pretty sure it's AQA as they only offer WIB.

I really, honestly do not recommend night before. If that's when you best work, I say at least start revising a week before gradually. But if you want that B, don't sit up the night before. It's just pointless.
Reply 2
Original post by Cool_JordH
Oh, you're doing GCSE AQA! I tutored someone with those two texts! I pretty sure it's AQA as they only offer WIB.

I really, honestly do not recommend night before. If that's when you best work, I say at least start revising a week before gradually. But if you want that B, don't sit up the night before. It's just pointless.

Sorry yes. It is AQA. Suppose that is vital information...

i don't know what to do to revise for it though, all i got atm is reading it, im terrible at all this analysis stuff, i really loath reading so i find it quite difficult to understand why this is saying that, its all a bit *******s to me when my teacher comes out with this translation from the text..
Original post by Bobjim12
Sorry yes. It is AQA. Suppose that is vital information...

i don't know what to do to revise for it though, all i got atm is reading it, im terrible at all this analysis stuff, i really loath reading so i find it quite difficult to understand why this is saying that, its all a bit *******s to me when my teacher comes out with this translation from the text..

Well how about you stop being a smart ass and use your brain. Have you not got your Assessment Objectives? Do you know what you have to do?

When did you start reading these texts? I take it this year? What I would suggest to get a B is to link themes with characters, and etc. It makes it easier. So for example, TKaM Scout represents the theme of innocence (find quotes for this). Such as quotes that show off her character, perhaps how she is perceived by the narrator and other characters. Tom Robinson represents the unfairness of social justice. And Calpurnia represent Race and Social Class (could link it with Robinson too). Then find quotes that explore their characterisation and then link that to themes. Find easy quotes you can analyse through language, form and structure.

If I can remember, they give you an unseen extract of the text and it focuses on a a certain theme such as race. You have to analyse what is being said and etc. Then it will ask you to analyse another part of the novel where i twill ask you to "write about where race is also discussed in the novel" or something like that?

WIB, I think it just unseen which will generically ask you to write about at least about one character and a theme in various parts throughout the novel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Well how about you stop being a smart ass and use your brain. Have you not got your Assessment Objectives? Do you know what you have to do?

When did you start reading these texts? I take it this year? What I would suggest to get a B is to link themes with characters, and etc. It makes it easier. So for example, TKaM Scout represents the theme of innocence (find quotes for this). Such as quotes that show off her character, perhaps how she is perceived by the narrator and other characters. Tom Robinson represents the unfairness of social justice. And Calpurnia represent Race and Social Class (could link it with Robinson too). Then find quotes that explore their characterisation and then link that to themes. Find easy quotes you can analyse through language, form and structure.

not really being a smart ass with all due respect... and no, what are assessment objectives?

so are you saying to learn the general roles of characters rather than their representation per chapter?
Reply 5
i'm not that keen of a reader, and quite frankly not fussed at all about my lit grade, now i won't say much of what i really think about it as i'm sure you here enjoy it.

so how much work does it take to get a B? i'm doing the woman in black and to kill a mockingbird (the latter being the exploring cultures book).

i thought of simply doing all my revision for it the night before? would 3/4 hrs be sufficient? if not, what would i need to do? any advice at all would be much appreciated, thank you.

At GCSE, just find some major quotes and plan what you'd write about them and there's your A.
not really being a smart ass with all due respect... and no, what are assessment objectives?

so are you saying to learn the general roles of characters rather than their representation per chapter?

You have not got the AO? Oh dear! You can find it on AQA website. Just go find English Lit GCSE spec on AQA.

You honestly do not need to know EVERY chapter. Did your teacher tell you to write out summary of every chapter? That's what I had to do. Such a waste.

You need to know the significance of what the character brings to the novel. But in your exams, you don't retell the story. The examiners already know what happens. You've go to consider how the chapters you will talk about relate to your question. They are represented in a certain way in every chapter, but I wouldn't even bother learning all chapters. There's no need. You do, you might as well aim for an A
Reply 7
You have not got the AO? Oh dear! You can find it on AQA website. Just go find English Lit GCSE spec on AQA.

You honestly do not need to know EVERY chapter. Did your teacher tell you to write out summary of every chapter? That's what I had to do. Such a waste.

You need to know the significance of what the character brings to the novel. But in your exams, you don't retell the story. The examiners already know what happens. You've go to consider how the chapters you will talk about relate to your question. They are represented in a certain way in every chapter, but I wouldn't even bother learning all chapters. There's no need. You do, you might as well aim for an A

well atm we are doing WIB, she is going through chapter by chapter (analysing events and Arthur etc..) we haven't analysed TKAM, doing that after..)

would you recommend any sources to help me with this?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
I was a C-B grade student but recently I got A and A* on two pieces of coursework I did on of mice and men. What I found out was that u need to look at text "Imaginatively" and "Creatively". So basically look for really random things and i mean really random. and try to find ways in that it supports your argument expanding on it hugely. So for example I saw that the author described a certain mountain as "golden" and "Sloping" then go on to describe the definitions of these words e.g... "Golden often refers to gold which in the past was viewed as rare. This meant that it was valuable and highly sought after". Like mention really common sense. Do this and expand alot. Then be like "As the mountains are sloping, this shows that there is a progression. The author may have attempted to show that their dreams blah blah....." Then be like "readers understand that blah blah" ... This shows that u are detailed and imaginative. Also u select precise quotes and use them well.

Im probably being really random but yeah. I wish somebody told me about this before i started my gcse course :P

hope it helps and that i applies to you lol
Reply 9
Original post by tomato721
I was a C-B grade student but recently I got A and A* on two pieces of coursework I did on of mice and men. What I found out was that u need to look at text "Imaginatively" and "Creatively". So basically look for really random things and i mean really random. and try to find ways in that it supports your argument expanding on it hugely. So for example I saw that the author described a certain mountain as "golden" and "Sloping" then go on to describe the definitions of these words e.g... "Golden often refers to gold which in the past was viewed as rare. This meant that it was valuable and highly sought after". Like mention really common sense. Do this and expand alot. Then be like "As the mountains are sloping, this shows that there is a progression. The author may have attempted to show that their dreams blah blah....." Then be like "readers understand that blah blah" ... This shows that u are detailed and imaginative. Also u select precise quotes and use them well.

Im probably being really random but yeah. I wish somebody told me about this before i started my gcse course :P

hope it helps and that i applies to you lol

i would never interpret things like that! lol. guess i'm going to have to.. thankyou!
Reply 10

Depends on you to be honest. I know that if I had gone into an exam without any preparation personally I'd have gotten a B easily, because I went to all the lessons and kept up with the work :h:

Maybe post some stuff about the texts you're struggling with and people can help? Honestly so little effort is needed to get an A :redface:
Reply 11
Original post by Irrí
Depends on you to be honest. I know that if I had gone into an exam without any preparation personally I'd have gotten a B easily, because I went to all the lessons and kept up with the work :h:

Maybe post some stuff about the texts you're struggling with and people can help? Honestly so little effort is needed to get an A :redface:

It is known.
Reply 12
Original post by Irrí

Well, i haven't a clue what i'm struggling at as i have no idea what to do!
Reply 13
Well, i haven't a clue what i'm struggling at as i have no idea what to do!

You've spoken to your teacher right? :h:

There'll probably be exams, if you write a couple practice essays (honestly they should take about 20minutes to write each) you'll be able to walk into the exam laughing.
Reply 14
Original post by Irrí
You've spoken to your teacher right? :h:

There'll probably be exams, if you write a couple practice essays (honestly they should take about 20minutes to write each) you'll be able to walk into the exam laughing.

I'd rather not, i've already shown my complete disinterest in the subject :/, bit ironic if i go and ask for help now...

practice papers is the way to go then?
Reply 15
I'd rather not, i've already shown my complete disinterest in the subject :/, bit ironic if i go and ask for help now...

practice papers is the way to go then?

Honestly, they won't mind and it'll make them happy. If you get the good grade you're the one laughing, treat it as proving how easy it is in your head or something if that helps.

Either way yeah, practice papers and just crafting a good essay. Post some of your practice ones on TSR and some people might be able to give you feedback on your style :h:
Reply 16
Original post by Irrí
Honestly, they won't mind and it'll make them happy. If you get the good grade you're the one laughing, treat it as proving how easy it is in your head or something if that helps.

Either way yeah, practice papers and just crafting a good essay. Post some of your practice ones on TSR and some people might be able to give you feedback on your style :h:

and there's no way of cheating either when the book's in the exam? alright, i might do that! cheers!

how much writing would you say is needed for each question? i write about 10-13 words a line.
Haha, I'm in exactly the same situation doing WIB and OMAM, English has to be my worst subject! I just don't understand how it works or how any of these hidden meanings make any sense, so I'll be lurking here for tips :colone:

:lurk:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What grade are you working at at the moment?

Literature isn't difficult you just need the right tools to sufficiently explore the texts. A B is not out of anyone's reach. You just need to learn the techniques.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Subat
What grade are you working at at the moment?

Literature isn't difficult you just need the right tools to sufficiently explore the texts. A B is not out of anyone's reach. You just need to learn the techniques.

I'm not working at any grade atm, we haven't done much literature nor any mock exam on it..

Quick Reply

Latest