JimenyBillyBob
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey

I've been seeing quite a lot of people with offers to study History at Kings so I though I'd make a thread for us all!

I got my offer a few weeks ago but still can't decide whether to firm or not.

Has anyone firmed Kings yet? and if you have...why?
alby1995
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey,
I'm thinking about firming King's for history. I really love London and the course looks pretty good, and it's doing well in the league tables.
The only thing putting me off is the cost of living in London
Where else have you got offers from?
JimenyBillyBob
Rep:
?
(Original post by alby1995)
Hey,
I'm thinking about firming King's for history. I really love London and the course looks pretty good, and it's doing well in the league tables.
The only thing putting me off is the cost of living in London
Where else have you got offers from?
I know what you mean about the price :/ I'm from up north too so the price difference is pretty big...but I think in the long run it may be worth it. Plus, it should be easier to find a part-time job in London compared to other places in the country (touch wood).

Queen Mary, Royal Holloway, Kings, Warwick and UCL. Wbu??

Posted from TSR Mobile
alby1995
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JimenyBillyBob)
I know what you mean about the price :/ I'm from up north too so the price difference is pretty big...but I think in the long run it may be worth it. Plus, it should be easier to find a part-time job in London compared to other places in the country (touch wood).

Queen Mary, Royal Holloway, Kings, Warwick and UCL. Wbu??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it is pretty daunting, but we can get more in terms of loans and stuff so it should be alright! Yeah I was looking at the website last night and it was saying that there are jobs available within the Student Union, getting a job shouldn't be an issue
ahh congrats, that's really good!! Queen Mary, Newcastle, Glasgow.

Have you looked at any of the accom yet?
JimenyBillyBob
Rep:
?
(Original post by alby1995)
Yeah it is pretty daunting, but we can get more in terms of loans and stuff so it should be alright! Yeah I was looking at the website last night and it was saying that there are jobs available within the Student Union, getting a job shouldn't be an issue
ahh congrats, that's really good!! Queen Mary, Newcastle, Glasgow.

Have you looked at any of the accom yet?
Yeah...they're a lot nicer than some of the other uni accomodation in London! But definitely too expensive

I'm liking the look at:

- Champion Hill (even though I can't find prices/pictures of rooms).
- Ewan Henderson Court (but it's further away from campus than some of the other residences).
- Julian Markham House.
- Moonraker Point (OMG at the price though!)
And....
- Stamford Street (but i've heard that it's very quiet and a bit boring).

I just copied and pasted that from a post I made on this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...537943&page=25 thread because I'm too lazy to type xD

Wbu??
Copperknickers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Stamford street is anything but quiet and boring. Its totally the opposite: people coming back every night at 4.00 from nights out.
JimenyBillyBob
Rep:
?
(Original post by Copperknickers)
Stamford street is anything but quiet and boring. Its totally the opposite: people coming back every night at 4.00 from nights out.
Thanks for the clarification I just got that general impression from what people have been saying on this site. It all depends on the people and not the actual building anyway.

Do you/have you lived there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Copperknickers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JimenyBillyBob)
Thanks for the clarification I just got that general impression from what people have been saying on this site. It all depends on the people and not the actual building anyway.

Do you/have you lived there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeed, I lived there. It really depends on your flatmates. You might be stuck with a flat full of international students who only come out of their rooms for half an hour when a full moon falls on a Friday. But generally there are a lot of British freshers there who are up for anything and everything.
kg_24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've just been accepted as a grad student for MA in History. I'll be coming as an international student from the US and am completely lost when it comes to housing. I still haven't decided completely on King's. I'm torn between King's, Queen Mary and U of Essex. Anyone have any thoughts?
JimenyBillyBob
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by kg_24)
I've just been accepted as a grad student for MA in History. I'll be coming as an international student from the US and am completely lost when it comes to housing. I still haven't decided completely on King's. I'm torn between King's, Queen Mary and U of Essex. Anyone have any thoughts?
Congratulations on the offer!! I firmed for a BA in History yesterday but was torn between UCL, Warwick, Queen Mary and Royal Holloway for months!! What are your pros and cons for the Uni's you're trying to decide between??

Housing is definitely baffling me too but as a postgrad, your housing options will be different to us lowly undergraduates

And btw, one of my current teachers did his MA in History at Kings and he absolutely loved it and the uni in general. Thought you might like to know

Posted from TSR Mobile
kg_24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much! Congratulations to you as well!
As I am living in the States, I will not be able to visit any of the universities before making a decision.
I have always been a very serious student, and still will be this coming fall, but I have heard that schools in the UK are much more intense than in the US. I am a little worried that I will be in over my head! I want a serious education, but do not want to be constantly stressed/trying to keep afloat or spend every waking moment in the library (I would like to be able to enjoy the city a bit!!). I don't want to sound like a slacker, because I'm not, but I want to be able to enjoy everything that London and England itself an offer. Does that make sense? Thank you for the reply!
JimenyBillyBob
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by kg_24)
Thank you so much! Congratulations to you as well!
As I am living in the States, I will not be able to visit any of the universities before making a decision.
I have always been a very serious student, and still will be this coming fall, but I have heard that schools in the UK are much more intense than in the US. I am a little worried that I will be in over my head! I want a serious education, but do not want to be constantly stressed/trying to keep afloat or spend every waking moment in the library (I would like to be able to enjoy the city a bit!!). I don't want to sound like a slacker, because I'm not, but I want to be able to enjoy everything that London and England itself an offer. Does that make sense? Thank you for the reply!
Well Kings has definitely got a better international reputation than Queen Mary and Essex and it has high graduate prospect rates. So I think it's the better uni of those three...but that's just my humble opinion xD

I went to visit Kings a few weeks ago (shame you can't come over and see the Uni's before you decide :/) and i can tell you the history department was really good. the staff were all friendly and happy to talk and answer all questions. Compared to the other Uni's I've looked at - which included Queen Mary - the department and staff seemed the most welcoming and helpful. It was one of the main reasons I firmed Kings tbh, it felt like I could fit in with the department better than at other Uni's. PLUS, you can see the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye and other landmarks from the departments windows...which was pretty awesome. That was my opinion of Kings when I went to visit, hope that might give you a glimpse into what it's like.

You do seem like a very serious student and not a slacker at all!! The only difference that I know of between American Universities and English ones, is that, in England, you have to do a lot more independent reading and study. Lecturers tend to guide your learning rather than spoon feeding you facts. I've also heard though, that he workload is actually more intense at American Uni's because they issue more tests etc than in England. But I don't know if that ones true, I just read it somewhere when researching foreign Universities.

Anyway, you definitely won't get behind any English students, we are a bit lazy . And, most have part time jobs and go out every other night (probably an exaggeration :L) so there's plenty of time to do other things than study. It's all about time management and prioritising.

I'm very sorry about the huge essay :L I've been revising all day and have had too much caffeine! It kind of makes me...talk? Write? Both I suppose. Gonna stop now.

What made you want to come to England to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
zimbo97
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What were people's typical offers for history at kings? I think they say their minimum offer is AAA, but is that just that the bare minimum with most being A*AA, or is it actually the average offer?
kg_24
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=JimenyBillyBob;47070936]Well Kings has definitely got a better international reputation than Queen Mary and Essex and it has high graduate prospect rates. So I think it's the better uni of those three...but that's just my humble opinion xD

What made you want to come to England to study?

Sorry for the late response! Very hectic week. I actually studied abroad in London two years ago. I was at Richmond, the American University so King's will definitely be a very different experience. I fell head over heels in love with the city, and knew that I had to come back. As I want to be a high school teacher, this is probably the only way that I can live in London. My favorite type of history has always been early american, but it's good to branch out and look at history from different perspectives. I'm still waiting to hear from university of essex, but as of now i'm pretty confident that i'll be accepting my offer at king's. i just want to do a little more research on the school itself (not the program) and make sure it's the right fit for me.
thanks for all of your help! good luck with revising!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34%
No (493)
66%

Watched Threads