Obese 19 y/o male finally joins the gym... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, some of you may remember a thread a while ago entitled 'Obese 19 y/o male has had enough'.

It was about me wanting to finally change my physical self for the better, but I didn't want to join the gym out of intimidation, but now I've finally decided to suck it up and join.

I joined a gym last sunday and had my induction and stuff, however after that, I realised I didn't really know what to do, so I just played about on a few weight machines, did some cardio and went home.

On Tuesday (yesterday) I did some work on my back and bis and did some cardio (cross trainer + rower), however I am still pretty unsure of what to do.

I want to ask TSR what are the best exercises I can do if I go to the gym 3 times a week this month, and 4x a week starting next month?

Thanks for all the help
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The best exercise to do is any exercise you WILL do. Start off by finding something you think you'll be able to stick at. For me it was the bike. After a few weeks I then started being more adventurous and trying other types of cardio before finally moving onto weights as well.
Wattsy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Given your weight any form of cardio is probably going to be most beneficial at this point, unless you're actually fairly fit but I doubt it. I weigh 10 stone wet through and I'm horribly unfit. Get the weight off and the most important muscle in your body in better working order before you really focus on anything else. Obviously if you like weights and stuff, do them but I think cardio should be central to your routine.
ThePoster
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When you go to the gym, do something like 65-70% cardio, at as high an intensity as you can manage for a reasonable period. Have short periods of low intensity and very high intensity thrown in too.

The rest of the session, focus on simple weight lifting for now. Muscle burns more energy than fat, so while building will slow 'weight loss', it will quicken fat loss somewhat.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
24.15%
No (179)
75.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed