The Student Room Group

Further Maths

How long do you predict it would take an average student to self teach FP1, M1 and D1/M2. Separately. If you've taught yourself any of these modules, how long did it take you to self teach?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by oneabdi
How long do you predict it would take an average student to self teach FP1, M1 and D1/M2. Separately. If you've taught yourself any of these modules, how long did it take you to self teach?

It took me around three hours a day for two weeks to teach myself FP1 and another two weeks for D1. I didn't have the textbooks so I read online notes and wrote my own and then did every past paper question on that topic I had access to.
Reply 2
The spec suggests 65 hours per module. Your mileage may differ but a couple of weeks hard graft per module should do it.
Reply 3
Original post by Flauta
It took me around three hours a day for two weeks to teach myself FP1 and another two weeks for D1. I didn't have the textbooks so I read online notes and wrote my own and then did every past paper question on that topic I had access to.

Did you do online notes for D1 as well? How difficult was it learning the topics? What did you do if you didn't understand a topic??
Reply 4
Original post by oneabdi

I would expect an average student to find Further Maths virtually impossible to self teach
Original post by TenOfThem
I would expect an average student to find Further Maths virtually impossible to self teach

Are you sure? For further maths As, there is a huge amount of resources online, including a whole number of textbooks and also potential friends they could ask.

The subject I don't think gets sufficiently difficult to day it would be 'impossible ' to self teach.
Reply 6
Original post by oneabdi
Did you do online notes for D1 as well? How difficult was it learning the topics? What did you do if you didn't understand a topic??

Yeah for both. It wasn't too bad I just cut the specification into little chunks and focused on just one section at a time. If I didn't understand something I went to ask my teacher but she wasn't really much help so I had to soldier on. Of course I didn't have TSR back then, if I didn't understand how to do a question I might have posted the question in the maths help forum on here.
Reply 7
A few months of constant work for each module and loads of questions.
There are some bits in FP1 and M2 which will will find very difficult to understand without a teacher or someone with sufficient knowledge helping you.

And what Tenofthem said.
Reply 8

I don't agree at all.
Reply 9
D1/M1 you could probably self teach. FP1 would be difficult and M2 most likely not, no matter how many resources there are on the internet. Well, in my opinion that is. But good luck with it all if you do :smile:
Original post by Old_Simon
I don't agree at all.

Really?

The average student achieves a grade D+ at GCSE

Unless the OP is referring to an average A Level student - achieving a C+ at A Level

In the first case - I stand by my statement

TBH - even with the second case I think that an "average" student will struggle to self teach FM
Reply 11
Original post by oneabdi

D1 is easy. d1 can be self taught easily an hour a night for around 2 weeks (self taught it with some second-hand books)
Really?

The average student achieves a grade D+ at GCSE

Unless the OP is referring to an average A Level student - achieving a C+ at A Level

In the first case - I stand by my statement

TBH - even with the second case I think that an "average" student will struggle to self teach FM

With respect a GCSE Grade D student will not be taking Maths never mind Further Maths. The pass rate at A*A for FM is much higher than it is for straight Maths. There are obvious reasons for that as you know. The term average therefore must be read in context. Maths does not in my experience get harder there is just more of it. (At A level not undergrad). My point is if a student thinks / feels comfortable I would never discourage self learning anything. I appreciate and value the role of good teachers but online resources are changing the whole dynamic of self learning.
Reply 13
D1 is the easiest maths I have encountered, it shouldn't take you long at all.

M1/M2 It will help very much if you have done Physics (At least AS) But again it won't be too hard if you're good with mechanics

not sure about FP1 but I expect 70 hours at max but I would recommend you go to teachers for support (maybe with the bits you find difficult)
Original post by Old_Simon
With respect a GCSE Grade D student will not be taking Maths never mind Further Maths.

Exactly

The pass rate at A*A for FM is much higher than it is for straight Maths. There are obvious reasons for that as you know. The term average therefore must be read in context.

The OP is asking a question that is too generic to answer - as timings are different for everyone - the OP has tried to limit this generalisation by suggesting he is "average" - surely he realises that is a meaningless description

An "average" student is as I described - A typical FM student is a different kettle of fish

Note - I would never discourage self-teaching either when appropriate - I do discourage the sloppy use of language and mathematical terms
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 15
Exactly

The OP is asking a question that is too generic to answer - as timings are different for everyone - the OP has tried to limit this generalisation by suggesting he is "average" - surely he realises that is a meaningless description

An "average" student is as I described - A typical FM student is a different kettle of fish

Note - I would never discourage self-teaching either when appropriate - I do discourage the sloppy use of language and mathematical terms

I got an A in GCSE Maths if that helps.
Original post by oneabdi

Then you are hardly "average"

Are you in Y12 - in which case what did you get in your Mocks or Y13 - in which case you do not have enough time
Reply 17
Original post by oneabdi

If you're looking for resources:

http://www.hegartymaths.com (should help you with d1)

http://www.examsolutions.net (should help you with the other modules, but doesn't have d1)

In general, I think most people will find d1 easier than m2. Partly because m2 requires knowledge of c3 and c4 and partly because d1 isn't conceptually thar difficult. Of course, it's subjective and if you're looking to do a mathematical course (or a related course) at uni m2 is better preparation.
Reply 18
Then you are hardly "average"

Are you in Y12 - in which case what did you get in your Mocks or Y13 - in which case you do not have enough time

I'm currently in Year 11.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Flauta
Yeah for both. It wasn't too bad I just cut the specification into little chunks and focused on just one section at a time. If I didn't understand something I went to ask my teacher but she wasn't really much help so I had to soldier on. Of course I didn't have TSR back then, if I didn't understand how to do a question I might have posted the question in the maths help forum on here.

What did you get in the modules you did self teach if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest