Are political parties right to block an EU referendum Watch

Poll: Are political parties right to block an EU Referendum
Yes- it is up to them what their policy is (6)
46.15%
No- we are a democracy, they should make their case (7)
53.85%
Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So Labour have now followed the Libdems and said they will not give an EU referendum unless there is a transfer of power. They have defined what they means it would at least cover a new treaty but may not cover other events e.g. directives that take power away from the UK

So do you believe they are right to deny a referendum or that being a democracy we should have a vote and they should make their case
captain.sensible
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I respect that they are allowed to devise their own policies, but there comes a time in our two (or is it three?) party system where it is impossible to have certain policies because the two parties make politics into a cartel that shuts out any new and liberal (and by liberal I mean socially liberal, e.g. gay marriage, although maybe that's a bad example because they legislated that one in the end) policies, meaning that in order to redeem our political system where we can basically only vote for one or the other (or only one if you live in a safe seat) then they basically have to propose a policy that basically a vast majority of people really want. we have a representative democracy for a reason, we don't have it to simply give random people a turn to mess up the country and not listen to us.
Assassinn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think it is always right to let people vote on the affairs of their country; however the way people vote in referendums is too often the result of political manipulation. If there is a referendum on any matter, then there should be a thorough informational campaign outlining all implications of voting either way. In this political scene, it is way too difficult to identify whether objectively the EU is a burden and for that reason im neutral on the matter.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ace123)
So Labour have now followed the Libdems and said they will not give an EU referendum unless there is a transfer of power. They have defined what they means it would at least cover a new treaty but may not cover other events e.g. directives that take power away from the UK

So do you believe they are right to deny a referendum or that being a democracy we should have a vote and they should make their case
Interesting question.

It is worth noting that while some people may vote for a referendum (by voting for UKIP, the Conservative, etc), others may vote against a referendum (by voting for Labour, the Liberal Democrats, etc).

In other words, the situation appears undemocratic either way; producing a referendum would disregard the voters who are against one, while denying a referendum would disregard the voters who are for one.
Studentus-anonymous
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

I'm confused. Surely if the EU is not up to task then a referendum coming back with a mandate to withdraw from the organization is de facto transfer of power back to the UK?

Or do they mean more transfer of power to Brussels, because frankly as it stands, no that is just full retard and shows up those parties as outright hostile to the British public.

I mean really the tories are just terrible, a bit of common sense and labour or Lib Dems could actually provide an easy alternative to Cameron's mess of a government.

But no, full house of morons in parliament continues.

P.S. I believe that the electorate should have direct say in big issues such as huge international organizations that engage in sovereignty creep. When it comes to UK sovereignty, we the people of the UK have the absolute and moral right to vote on that transfer of power.

Also the current electoral system in the UK is a joke, it basically gives people no options. No wonder so many Brits end up doing anything but going to the polling stations on election days. Candidates are either offering policies and manifestos which you disagree with, or are by the system, unelectable.

In a world with only labour and tory, with the odd protest vote there's not much scope for democratic participation.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We vote for parties to carry our agendas. We don't vote on everything because it's so damn inefficient, I can't fathom why this should be different for the EU.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Being largely neutral on the matter of a referendum i am quite happy for my elected representatives to respond to this issue in the way they see fit.
wildrover
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think we need to have a referendum as both of the main parties have the same stance on Europe and so the electorate have no real choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (111)
17.54%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.74%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.38%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.53%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (189)
29.86%

Watched Threads