The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well it depends on what uni you want to read law at. For Oxbridge, they may frown upon the odd C, as most applicants have straight A's and A*s, but having said that, they are far more interested in your AS grades, prediction, interviews etc. GCSEs carry a relatively small weight. It may also depend what the C's are in; it may be more of an issue if the C was in English than if it were in Tech. As long as you meet the general matriculation requirements of the uni, and think you can do well at AS and A2, then you shouldn't be put off applying anywhere,
If the C's in Food Tech, they won't care.

Subjects they'll want A's in probably include maths, sciences, English (both) and humanities subjects, if you've done them.
Reply 3
Dr. Blazed
If the C's in Food Tech, they won't care.

Subjects they'll want A's in probably include maths, sciences, English (both) and humanities subjects, if you've done them.

Food tech gets a bad rep. I had to work hard cutting and sticking for my A* :biggrin:
I would Graphic Products was my hardest GCSE, in terms of the workload and quality required in the major project.
Reply 5
bono
I would Graphic Products was my hardest GCSE, in terms of the workload and quality required in the major project.

Yeah the project requires a lot of work, but it's still easy work.
Reply 6
yep techs the one I'm worrying about, I was predicted mainly A*s A's and B's but I know I'll get a C in Tech, I'm beginning to get really worried about it.
Reply 7
ricroc
yep techs the one I'm worrying about, I was predicted mainly A*s A's and B's but I know I'll get a C in Tech, I'm beginning to get really worried about it.

Of all the one's to get a C in, tech is generally the one universities will care least about. Having said that, do try your best, because doing well in all your subjects shows a dedication to work in general. Don't panic, and do your best!
Reply 8
ricroc
I know that to get into a good uni for law you'll need about an AAB, but what gcses are required and usually held by applicants? Are a string of As, Bs and the odd C acceptable?

thnx

Don't worry too much about the C in tech....the As and Bs are good enough to get you into uni for law...maybe not Oxbridge or some of the 'elite' unis...but that also depends on how well you interview....etc.

I do think most unis want you to have a good grade in English language at GCSE though...and maybe English Lit too....so try and get an A in them at least

G
Reply 9
Do you think they'll mind if you have a B in French and A*s in everything else?
I heard that French was valued in selection for Law, especially at Oxbridge, and I'm getting a bit worried.
I got 7A*s and 2As at GCSEs - ok i did well. However in the final analysis the most important part of one's application to do Law is the Personal Statement. This is where a law tutor or admissions officer will get to see your personal interest in the law and will see how motivated you are to do this very involving engrossing subject.

They have a responsibility to make offers to people whom they are convinced will be the best students for their university and will reflect well on them as a whole. Added to your personal statement there will be references from your school recommending you as a good student.

There is not a great deal of emphasis placed on GCSE grades because universities are beginning to consider them rather unreliable thanks to constant claims that they are getting easier. With regard to Cs and Bs at GCSE - such grades will not be frowned upon if they are surrounded by a cluster of A*s and As (more A*s are preferable of course)

But as i have stipulated there is not as much emphasis placed on GCSEs as A-levels and in turn not as much on A-level predictions as the personal statement. Results of exams are reference points for Admissions Tutors to see the general trend in a student - is he/she motivated/intelligent/competent etc.

To tell you the truth not much can be made from grades because there are external circumstances that can sometimes affect them + good grades sometimes depend on one's ability to swallow their revision notes yet not require the necessary aptitude for law - if one gets mediocre grades but writes one's Personal Statement particularly eloquently and thoughtfully then you can be sure that the tutor will see the potential and offer that person a place at their university. But that is not to say that you dont work hard for top grades!!!
Despite the fact that people cannot cheat in exams, although they can in their personal statement. i.e.) lie about things, get people to write it for them? :rolleyes:

I think grades are the main factor.
Reply 12
bono
Despite the fact that people cannot cheat in exams, although they can in their personal statement. i.e.) lie about things, get people to write it for them? :rolleyes:

I think grades are the main factor.
Lying in the PS...the interviewers can easily see through the lies. They pick up on it. And then you are ins erious trouble.
Lying in the PS...the interviewers can easily see through the lies. They pick up on it. And then you are ins erious trouble.

How can you pick up on lies?

If you prepare for them then you can't be caught.

And besides, most people don't apply to uni's where an interview is needed.

My point was that you could get a superb writer to write your personal statement, as well as exagerrating things or even lieing. But in exams, you can't get any one else but yourself to do the papers, can you?
Reply 14
bono
How can you pick up on lies?

If you prepare for them then you can't be caught.

And besides, most people don't apply to uni's where an interview is needed.

My point was that you could get a superb writer to write your personal statement, as well as exagerrating things or even lieing. But in exams, you can't get any one else but yourself to do the papers, can you?
Ahhh, I was thinking of medicine.

Well, that's true. But the interviewers don't rely on the personal statement much.
Ahhh, I was thinking of medicine.

Well, that's true. But the interviewers don't rely on the personal statement much.

Of course they don't. Anybody can get someone really good at writing to write their PS, lie about a few things here and there, as well as extremely exaggerate some things, and voila, you have a superb PS. Hardly difficult is it.

Same with teachers. They'll exaggerate everything to the point of death, add a thing here and there, and voila, another nice reference.

the only thing which cannot be disuputed is grades and marks - If you get 12 A*'s, you got 12A*'s by doing superb in the exams, simple as that. Clear cut, no BS.
Reply 16
bono
Of course they don't. Anybody can get someone really good at writing to write their PS, lie about a few things here and there, as well as extremely exaggerate some things, and voila, you have a superb PS. Hardly difficult is it.

Same with teachers. They'll exaggerate everything to the point of death, add a thing here and there, and voila, another nice reference.

the only thing which cannot be disuputed is grades and marks - If you get 12 A*'s, you got 12A*'s by doing superb in the exams, simple as that. Clear cut, no BS.
Well that teacher's reference bit is dubious.

The unis have their own criteria for each different schools. If they feel that a school is lying, or exaggerating, then they value the references from that school less from another one.

So, its pointless for the schools to EXAGGERATE, or LIE.

It does not rule out, promoting the student by not putting in bad things about him/her
Well that teacher's reference bit is dubious.

The unis have their own criteria for each different schools. If they feel that a school is lying, or exaggerating, then they value the references from that school less from another one.

So, its pointless for the schools to EXAGGERATE, or LIE.

It does not rule out, promoting the student by not putting in bad things about him/her

How do they not exaggerate? they only put in good things about you, and talk it up etc. I agree they can't talk as much crap as a person's own PS, but they can still go pretty far.

As long as you do well in the test at Cam and come across decent in the interview Phil, you'll get a place, i'm sure of it. I don't know anyone who has 12 A*'s at GCSE. They'll look at this first, always. (Along with AS Grades and UMS marks etc.)
Reply 18
From what I have heard, the GCSE grades of law students is generally higher than other students because universities do not specify any particular a-levels so they just want to see a very academic person in general terms.

However the range of grades changes at different institution e.g. at oxbridge the average GCSE grades for law students owuld probably be 6-7A*s +

Latest

Trending

Trending