Should police have the power to stop, question and frisk people on the street Watch

3packing
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I think this hypothetical will answer this question.
Why a hypothetical? Because this situation occurs in real life.
Suppose over the past 6 months 12 kids at a school have had their ipods or smartphones stolen and haven't been able to get them back. A couple of days later, it happens again. What do you do? This is a problem that affects us all. If I knew people were victim of theft, I would give up my "right" to assumed innocence and would allow myself to be searched. We're not choosing to compromise, there is already a problem within the community. If we compromise this "right" to not be suspected and searched, we can improve the situation directly. When police are stopping, questioning and searching people on the street, it is because there is a recurring problem (if there isn't I agree it's pointless and just an abuse of power). But usually, by cooperating, you help your community.
The_Duck
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They do have the right to stop and question people, and search people with either the person's consent or a warrant. What is your point?
Blind Ferret
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But Police are human beings.

Human being capable of falling victim to the little power they have, also enabling their own prejudices and latent racism. Obviously this isn't the case en mass.

If you give them the right to just search people, then who dictates the personal criteria? Why should you get to search me and my belongings when you're just the same as me?
MASTER265
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Absolutely they should have the right. But why stop there. They should be allowed to punch people through the car window and steal the car. They should be allowed to batter criminals and then take the money and firearms for themselves. They should be given full control and leniency within the law
jillymayr
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if they have probable cause then sure, why not?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (62)
15.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
10%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
19.02%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.63%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.73%
How can I be the best version of myself? (125)
30.49%

Watched Threads