Oxbridge: Economics without further maths Watch

LChand
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
TSR,

I am interested in applying to Oxford, Cambrige, *insert other top unis* to study economics. Despite this, I have undervalued the significance of further maths and didn't choose to take it as part of my currently AS Levels (maths,phy,chem,econ). At Oxbridge, for example, how disadvantaged would that make me as a candidate? And what is the likelihood of success of my application without it? I am aware that the oxbridge course is more than maths/stats, but I am presuming that nearly every applicant will offer FM which worries me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

*NOTE* My school offers FM however I did not appreciate it's significance at the time and if I was to go back I would have taken it.
RowanL
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well firstly, Oxford doesn't offer straight economics it offers 3 combined economics courses none of which require FM they are History&Economics, Philosopy, Politics & Economics and Economics&Management (Probably the most appropriate if you are applying for straight economics elsewhere). Further Maths isn't necessary to take any of the three courses, nor is it tothe best of my knowledge even advised, so not having it shouldn't affect your application, though it might prevent you from taking certain modules later on e.g. Mathematical Methods.

Cambridge/other top unis (I assume you mean LSE etc?) do offer straight economics courses and generally don't say that Further Maths is required merely that it is helpful, though purely from personal accounts I would say that someone without it would strugge at Cambridge or LSE and have to be prepared to put in more work than other students if they got a place. I would say that if you are willing to consider a joint honours course at Oxford, like Economics and Management that might be your best bet given your lack of Further Maths, however, that is not to say that without it you will definitely be rejected for straight economics at somewhere like Cambridge.
jayjay531
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I want to apply to Oxbridge, but don't know whether to apply to Oxford or Cambridge
At GCSE I got 9A*'s, 3A's and a C in Astronomy
At A-level I got AAAB
87.8 in Maths (C1-93, C2-96, S1-74)
90.3 in Biology
79 in Chemistry (Was one away from an A, but hopefully a remark is kind to me)
93.5 in Economics
- The average of my 3 best subjects would be 90.5
I'm also head boy at my school xD
My school didn't offer further maths last year, but this year they are, and I intend on picking up AS further maths
I've been to the Eton, UNIQ (Oxford), Cambridge, and LSE Summer Schools
The secondary school I went to and the sixth form I currently go to are considered 'deprived' and I am also an ethnic minority.

I wouldn't mind applying to Oxford or Cambridge (for economics), but it's just that I am so afraid of the TSA - which I might flop on the day. Especially since I havent had the time to appropriately revise for it

In light of this information, should I apply to Oxford or Cambridge? And why ?
I really need some help and advice
uniqsummer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both Universities use the TSA so its really down to your preference on who you apply to.
Certainly for E&M at Oxford a substantial amount of weight is put on your TSA performance (id imagine it is the same at Cambridge) so you really need to be looking at every past paper, to put yourself in the best position possible to complete the test on the day,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.07%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.51%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.22%
It might lead to more bullying (143)
38.86%
There's nothing they could do (108)
29.35%

Watched Threads