Need to lose weight but afraid as once was hospitalized with anorexia.

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, I know the title is a bit alarming, but I recovered just fine several years ago, but since I went to university, I've put on a lot of weight. I went for a health check up and I am just over the overweight line.

I have no body issues and that is not the reason for me wanting to lose weight, I want to so I feel naturally good and fresh, and so some of my old clothes fit. Also, for my health.

The only problem is, since I recovered, or before I even got into hospital, I've always counted calories and always lie about how many I have had, so I always go over board.

I'm stuck in the motion of 'it'll be okay, I'm not afraid of this food' and yeah it's a great achievement considering I was once 4 stone but still. I need some help.

I live in the city and there are only main roads around me so I'm a bit weary of running outside past people in cars and that, and I can't afford the gym costs at university.

Please can you give me any advice? I'd like to lose 20 pounds. Not rushing to shed it all.
username1320377
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey there,
first of all congratulations on your recovery and learning that food is not the enemy! But if you are just over the overweight line why do you want to lose 20 pounds? The first piece of advice I would give you is do not get hang up on how many pounds you need to lose! Do not weigh yourself or count how much weight you lose!
You can buy exercise DVD's that you can do in the comfort of your own home such as The 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels, or others and most of them can be found on YouTube!
Go by how your body looks and feels and if you feel healthier and fresher! Take 'before pictures' to remind yourself what you looked like and then when you feel like you have lost weight or feel better compare what you look like now and looked like then! I know weighing yourself could be hard to resist but that is where problems can start! Once you start seeing the numbers go down you might relapse, it happened to my cousin and thats why I think you should step away from the scales!
Good luck x
SophiaKeuning
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tbh this is a tricky situation and I don't think a lot of us will be able to give advice that will really help the situation.

I worry that once you start dieting it will trigger that mind set again :/ I'd try and suggest that you don't diet, as in, don't treat it like a diet. Don't calorie count, don't go on the scales, don't give yourself that mindset of 'I'm on a diet, I'm watching my weight and watching what I eat'. Instead of treating it like a 'diet' just say to yoursf you want to start eating a bit more healthy. A healthy lifestyle. So instead of calorie counting, just pick foods that you think are healthy, and cut back on your treats but still treat yourself. Some treats won't ruin a healthy, balanced diet.

With excercise, I feel that's also a bit of a concern incase again it may trigger that obsessive need for excercise after eating. So maybe instead of excercise per say, take up an active hobby to do a couple of times a week. Or a sport, like tennis or dancing or cycling? I think that will lead to a healthier mindset of enjoying a hobby, rather than excercise for the sake of losing weight.

That's just my thought I think a good option may be to discuss this with your GP, your GP should be able to give you sound advice on how much you should lose, and may help advice you on how to go about it while preventing a relapse. In my opinion, your already a bit concerning with your 20pound aim? That's quite a lot for someone who is just about overweight :/

Good luck
doodle_333
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sophias advice is good

just don't start calorie counting as I completely agree with you that you may start with 1500cals a day but it easily whittles downa nd becomes an obsession, so focus on being healthy and leading an active lifestyle, if you stay aware and run on a pavement you'll be fine

it might also be worth asking your GP to monitor you or refer you to a dietician if you're worried? you could get your GP to monitor your weight loss and tell you when to start maintaining or ask a dietician to give you a meal plan with 'exchanges' rather than calories

I'd also advise you not to put a number on the weight you want to lose, as there's no garantee losing 20lbs would put you at your ideal weight and you want to be healthy not push too far
Welsh_insomniac
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Congratulations for getting through your ED. I think the best thing you can do is just go to your GP and explain everything to him. I assume he's already aware of your past and he'll be able to provide you with some careful advice on how to move forward. Good luck, OP
Kabloomybuzz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree with others who have said see your GP, they will be able to assess whether you need to lose weight or not (I'm guessing the just over the overweight line is calculated via BMI, this isn't really a reliable calculation) A doctor can have a check of how much of your weight is fat, muscle, water. If you have a low body fat percentage and high muscle percentage, you may well not be overweight at all.

If you do need to lose weight, you can ask for advice on how to lose the weight and for regular monitoring, to help stop you from slipping back to your anorexic ways.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (114)
40.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (30)
10.71%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (21)
7.5%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (64)
22.86%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (32)
11.43%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.79%

Watched Threads