Is London safe at night?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Going on a date to london tonight. We are gonna go visit some landmarks, take some pictures, etc.
we are going at 7pm so probs leave somewhere between 10-11pm.
Just thinking of all the things that can go wrong...is it unsafe for two young people to be walking around london at night (and traveling on the underground)?
We won't be going 'off the beaten path'- we will be around Big Ben, Downing Street, the eye, at Paul's, buckingham, etc, etc.
Welsh Bluebird
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you stick to areas around the main attractions then I think you'll be fine around those times as there should still be a lot of people out. If you wander off into other areas, off track, then yeah you might run into trouble but I'd say thats pretty much the same with most cities in Britain these days. Even in my hometown you can get a bit of grief for ending up in the wrong place and as its just outside the city centre its quite easy to do so.

Just stay vigilant and enjoy the night as you would elsewhere. Don't let the thought of something bad that might happen ruin your date and just relax and have a good time. If the date goes well you might even be back before 10pm so who knows?

Good luck btw.
lindopski
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
for some reason I hate London with a passion, I have been to Moscow and I liked it but London just makes me sick - I cant see how a date there would be a good thing. A nice little country pub for a meal and snog would be better for me at least.
El Salvador
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
Underground I think is pretty safe. Central areas are pretty safe. Along Oxford Street lots of people around to help you if you encounter anything.
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Those places are fine!
I've been with other girls in a small group in Brixton, that was a little more worrying! But yeah it's fine go have fun, be safe but don't worry
JindleBrey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Trust me, you will feel more safe walking around London at night than your hometown.
Lamptastic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
London is fine, especially around the landmarks.

You're not going to be alone, there will people around all of those places.
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Dont do it, London is like a war zone during the nights and you run the risk of being robbed. Too many people like this on the pinch these days
Carpe Vinum
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OP, London around the attractions is generally pretty safe, especially at that time. After around midnight, it can be a bit dodgy, but you'll be fine, especially as you're 2 of you.

London can be dangerous but so can anywhere. I've been on tubes and trains and on the streets alone at all hours of the night (and I'm a 19 year old girl) and so far have only encountered trouble once. And that was in a dodgy area. Westminster and the surrounding area are not dodgy.

(Original post by Mickey O'Neil)
If you stick to areas around the main attractions then I think you'll be fine around those times as there should still be a lot of people out. If you wander off into other areas, off track, then yeah you might run into trouble but I'd say thats pretty much the same with most cities in Britain these days. Even in my hometown you can get a bit of grief for ending up in the wrong place and as its just outside the city centre its quite easy to do so.

Just stay vigilante and enjoy the night as you would elsewhere. Don't let the thought of something bad that might happen ruin your date and just relax and have a good time. If the date goes well you might even be back before 10pm so who knows?

Good luck btw.
He should go to Croydon
GarethG33
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, like everyone says, London is very safe in the tourist spots at night. Before the riots it was considered the safest large city in the world. Not sure about now it could still be.
stargirl63
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You will be fine in London, don't worry. Unless you're going along some back alley at 3am, there's not a lot to worry about. Lots of people on the street etc.
Serendipitee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not at that time. I was out at 5am in Westminster once - relatively busy area, but defo wouldn't recommend. Had loads of weird guys following me. Called the cops on them and the cowards vanished :rofl:
username1320377
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
everyone has really bad misconceptions of London, I live in Bermondsey in South East London, and I have never ran into trouble! People in London don't just start trouble with people for no reason and if they do it is not very likely to happen near the Landmarks like Big Ben and the London Eye! Its really insulting that so many people think London is such a dangerous place and it really is not! Its no more dangerous than any other city! London is a beautiful place to go on a date! Along by the River/London eye the southbank is beautiful with bars and restaurants to eat in! Even in 'back alleys' and going of track chances are nothing bad will happen! Just enjoy the sights
samba
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mickey O'Neil)

Just stay vigilante and enjoy the night as you would elsewhere. Don't let the thought of something bad that might happen ruin your date and just relax and have a good time. If the date goes well you might even be back before 10pm so who knows?

Good luck btw.
:rofl:

@OP - perfectly safe at that time in major areas, especially with 2.
FreedomCostsTax
Badges: 12
Report 7 years ago
The only crime that happens in those areas that you've listed is like pickpocketing.
Spongebob'sPants
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There will be people out and about at 10pm or 11pm and it will be safe...but do be careful though.

If you spot potential danger (i.e. a group of drunk guys hanging around and you're alone), then be sensible and move along.

I wouldn't worry if you're sensible and alert.
lindopski
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the reason I dont like London is because of its very busy nature and the fact that although big in the grand 'world' scheme of things it is a small city with too many people in it.
I would rather a date in the sticks any day of the week, thats just me though - smalltown boy!
Jessaay!
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Going on a date to london tonight. We are gonna go visit some landmarks, take some pictures, etc.
we are going at 7pm so probs leave somewhere between 10-11pm.
Just thinking of all the things that can go wrong...is it unsafe for two young people to be walking around london at night (and traveling on the underground)?
We won't be going 'off the beaten path'- we will be around Big Ben, Downing Street, the eye, at Paul's, buckingham, etc, etc.
Yes, it's fine. I live in Westminster and it's perfectly safe at night. I walked home alone at around 2am last night (I frequently do) and walked past all of the big landmarks, e.g. downing street, westminster abbey etc, and I was perfectly fine. I often greet the police and guards there when I walk by.

Those touristy, very central areas are safe. There are dodgy areas but you just need to remain streetwise, like any other place in the world really.

I've been in London for 5 years now and never had a problem.

The tube is always safe!

Also, those places are often still quite busy at night anyway.

(Original post by lindopski)
for some reason I hate London with a passion, I have been to Moscow and I liked it but London just makes me sick - I cant see how a date there would be a good thing. A nice little country pub for a meal and snog would be better for me at least.
Slightly self-indulgent reply. He's clearly going to go to london for the date, he didn't ask for your opinion on the date itself, and definitely not your opinion on moscow...

Also, don't knock it until you've tried it properly. I'm from the countryside and there is such a wide variety of things to do in London that you can find something to suit everyone. There are also amazing little country type pubs on the thames and in west london a little outside of the central london places.
spiral87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are regular public murders around the tourist attractions in London. You'll be killed.
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Serendipitee)
Not at that time. I was out at 5am in Westminster once - relatively busy area, but defo wouldn't recommend. Had loads of weird guys following me. Called the cops on them and the cowards vanished :rofl:
OP ignore this, that is very uncommon and to be honest I'd probably go as far as to say untrue

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (11)
21.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
7.84%
No I am happy with my choice (33)
64.71%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.88%

Watched Threads