The Student Room Group

What to do if I get no PhD funding?

I still have to hear from two unis, but I'm concerned. If I get no funding, should I defer for a year and hope for next year? Or should I go and pay for the first year, hoping to prove myself and get funding for years 2 and 3? I'm an international student, so it is a lot of money. Opinions?
Reply 1
Original post by katiegud
I still have to hear from two unis, but I'm concerned. If I get no funding, should I defer for a year and hope for next year? Or should I go and pay for the first year, hoping to prove myself and get funding for years 2 and 3? I'm an international student, so it is a lot of money. Opinions?

There are 101 PhD places in ANY subject going at Leeds at the moment so I'd get onto talking to potential supervisors about that straight away. What subject area are you looking at?
Reply 2
Social Policy. I've been accepted and assigned supervisors, so should I ask them what to do?
Reply 3
Social Policy. I've been accepted and assigned supervisors, so should I ask them what to do?

At Leeds??? Yeah then you have a great chance of getting this funding! All you do is go onto the postgrad scholarships bit on the website and fill in the application form!!!

I'd notify your supervisors that you are going for it though!! Good luck :smile:
Reply 4

They'd be a good place to start and should either be able to advise about potential sources or other contacts who may be able to help.

Don't expect miracles though. My supervisors were spectacularly useless when it came to advising about potential funding sources. Even the uni Graduate Support Office's most 'helpful' suggestion was that I try to complete my PhD in two years (which is all I can afford as self-funding).

There are no magic wands - especially in a non-STEM subject - but if your supervisors are worth the title then they should at least have some kind of pointers for you. If they've already accepted you, then it's in their interest to help. However bear in mind that the majority of their non-funded students might be asking exactly the same questions.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88

There are no magic wands - especially in a non-STEM subject - but if your supervisors are worth the title then they should at least have some kind of pointers for you. If they've already accepted you, then it's in their interest to help. However bear in mind that the majority of their non-funded students might be asking exactly the same questions.

That's what I'm worried about. I've missed the deadlines for a lot of external funding opportunities, so I'm thinking maybe I should defer and apply for those (if I don't get university funding). If I don't get them though, I'll just be in the same position next year!
Reply 6
That's what I'm worried about. I've missed the deadlines for a lot of external funding opportunities, so I'm thinking maybe I should defer and apply for those (if I don't get university funding). If I don't get them though, I'll just be in the same position next year!

Why would you not apply for the internal funding through Leeds? There are 110 places and the timing, just after a hundreds of people have just been given PhDs, will make it less competitive!

I think it is by far the best chance that has come up over the past few months, especially since you have already applied to Leeds.
Reply 7
Original post by redferry
Why would you not apply for the internal funding through Leeds? There are 110 places and the timing, just after a hundreds of people have just been given PhDs, will make it less competitive!

I think it is by far the best chance that has come up over the past few months, especially since you have already applied to Leeds.

Oh, I did apply for internal funding, I'm just worried that I'm not going to get it! After getting rejected for funding by a couple of other places I'm not incredibly hopeful!
Reply 8
Oh, I did apply for internal funding, I'm just worried that I'm not going to get it! After getting rejected for funding by a couple of other places I'm not incredibly hopeful!

Which internal funding did you go for?

because there is a new lot up (the one with 101 places) so that should definitely be your next move. That funding was only released today so not the one you already applied for!
Reply 9
Original post by redferry
Which internal funding did you go for?

because there is a new lot up (the one with 101 places) so that should definitely be your next move. That funding was only released today so not the one you already applied for!

I just looked and I'm not eligible - I'm an international student. :frown: Leeds funds 9 international students for Oct entry, so that's what I applied for. If I don't get it I can apply for Jan, when they'll do another 9. It's incredibly competitive.
Reply 10
I just looked and I'm not eligible - I'm an international student. :frown: Leeds funds 9 international students for Oct entry, so that's what I applied for. If I don't get it I can apply for Jan, when they'll do another 9. It's incredibly competitive.

Ah that's so rubbish. Yeah it is so much more competitive for international students as there are so few places available for non- EU students :frown:

My advice if you don't get anything would be to strengthen your CV ready for next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending