The Student Room Group

Where to go? Exeter, Warwick, Edinburgh, or Glasgow?

Hi,

I really want to become a barrister in the future. What is the best law school from the ones I have received an offer? They are Exeter, Warwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow.

I actually want to practice in England, but applied to Scotland anyway.
Reply 1
Scotland will teach you Scots law which differs from English law considerably and I don't think it allows you to become a barrister, as the Scottish equivalent will be expected to have researched a lot on the law before his career, whereas in university in Scotland you will not be taught English law.

Leaving warwick and exeter. Choose the most prestigious place. Perhaps inquire as to which of those two universities have the biggest student run law society, as it will give you an idea of how many properly 'committed' students go to that uni. Perhaps check if they have a mooting organisation (courtroom-like law debate for students). Otherwise, check which place has the best night life, all that hard work will need hard partying to unwind.
To become an advocate (our version of a barrister) you would have to do the necessary courses for admission during the LL.B. (4 years), then you would do the DPLP (1 year), then you would work as a trainee solicitor (2 years), and then you could apply to the Faculty of Advocates to undertake an unpaid devilling.

AFAIK that's 3 years longer than the system in England, so unless you really want to work in Scotland (doesn't sound like you do) then go with one of the English universities.

Original post by MootProdigy
. . . in university in Scotland you will not be taught English law.

Whilst it's true that neither Glasgow nor Edinburgh teach English law it us untrue that no university in Scotland teaches English law. Both Dundee and Aberdeen now teach English law and you can graduate with a dual qualifying Scots and English LL.B. at those universities now.
Reply 3
I think it's probably better to go to the Uni which appeals to you the most!

This is just my personal opinion, I am a Law student at Exeter. I think either Exeter or Warwick are the better two, all the top law firms (Simmons, Linklaters etc.) target recruitment from around 10-15 "gold universities" in the UK - Exeter and Warwick being in that list.

Exeter is a very good law school with great facilities, however, personally I find the overall university 'experience' at Exeter to be quite poor. It's a small city with not a lot going on. That said, there are loads of societies to get involved with so that's quite fun.

I don't really know a lot about Warwick bar it's reputation, so it's really going to be a case of which ever you find best suited to you.

I'd say Warwick and Exeter are quite equal reputation wise, and my personal opinion career wise for English Law, would be to go to one of those two.

If you have any more questions about Exeter i'd be happy to help!

Good luck!
Reply 4
Strathclyde Law School are now also offering English law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending