The Student Room Group

Video games art, or a foundation year?

Currently I really want to do a Video Games Art course at a University (Not sure which one yet, I've been looking at about seven different Universities) but before I do, I was wondering if it would benefit me to do an art foundation year beforehand?
At the moment I'm still doing my ASs, so I've got about a year until I need to make a definite decision but I want to explore as many possibilities as possible before I choose. So is it worth doing an art foundation year, or should I just go straight to Uni?

Thank you! Abi
Reply 1
Hello Abi,
I'm a student on Game Art at DMU, arguably the best course of it's kind in the country and having studied here for a year now I would strongly recommend it. Regarding your question, yes I would recommend doing an Art foundation.
The only way this would not be of benefit to you is if you are already a fairly strong artist and you feel you're ready for university. This was the case for me but only because I took 2 years out of education between school and college and then another year out to build up savings.
There is no rush and the more prepared and sure of yourself you are when you go to uni, the more you'll be able to make of it.
Work your ASs off and good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
One the one hand you can apply during the final year of your A-levels to the degrees you like the look of and you'll find out there and then whether you're talented enough to get in or not. If not, take a year to complete an Art Foundation course, and that should improve your skills to help you get into the course you want (as long as you pick a Foundation that actually teaches drawing, perspective, colour theory, composition etc instead of conceptual art). Bear in mind that the best courses in the UK are going to be very hard to get into. For the Games Art and Design course at Hertfordshire the applicant numbers are ten times the amount of places on the course. To get in, you really do have to stand out as having a portfolio that goes beyond what most universities will want to see.

Quick Reply

Latest